Occre Pacific 231 wood and brass train [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Everyone. I haven't gone away, but as I mentioned at the end of my log I am building an Airfix Bentley that my daughter bought me for Xmas. I said that I didn't want to do a build log of this and was just going to do a few pictures of the final result but if it's okay I'll add some pictures here just showing my progress. I am building this straight out of the box with no detailed enhancements or accuracy and only a simple paint job. It's about a forty year old kit re released and it shows it. Here are the pics of the almost completed engine, supercharger and recently painted chassis.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Hi. Thanks for your likes on my kit build. It's coming together fairly quickly with surpisingly few issues for an old kit. The detail is a bit soft and there's not a great deal of it, so to enhance it I've used washes and dry brush to try and highlight things a bit. Some pictures of things so far.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Ken - I feel like kissing you! That is my all-time favorite car marque and my all-time favorite model. The history of the Blower Bentley's is unsurpassed - even though as race cars, the straight-six was far more successful. But for a while Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin and his financier, Dorothy Paget, ruled the roost with the Blowers. Even now, Bentley and Mulliner (one of the original coachbuilding companies that Bentley used) is producing 12 examples of the Blower Bentleys again in their Continuation Series. As far as I know they are all sold. Now the fascinating thing is this. Two years ago when Bentley launched the new Continental Speed they did so in conjunction with the Bentley Blower and Breitling - the latter who has a long partnership history with Bentley.

Bentley.png
Taken from the Bentley website: The Continental Speed 9 and the Bentley Blower.

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-1920x670.jpg
The Bentley/Mulliner Continuation Series Bentley Blower - taken from the Bentley website.

62395.jpg

At the launch, Breitling introduced the Premier Bentley Centenary Limited Edition watch. At the far left is the Rose Gold version which was limited to 25 pieces and on the right the two stainless steel versions which were limited to 1000 pieces. Now here is the fascinating part. The elm burr on the face of these watches echo the wooden seat-back of Henry Birkin's original Bentley Blower, the straps the diamond-pattern leather seats of the race cars while a special Bentley-inspired plaque on the watch mimics the dashboard texture.

6.jpg

Ken - I feel like kissing you! That is my all-time favorite car marque and my all-time favorite model. The history of the Blower Bentley's is unsurpassed - even though as race cars, the straight-six was far more successful. But for a while Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin and his financier, Dorothy Paget, ruled the roost with the Blowers. Even now, Bentley and Mulliner (one of the original coachbuilding companies that Bentley used) is producing 12 examples of the Blower Bentleys again in their Continuation Series. As far as I know they are all sold. Now the fascinating thing is this. Two years ago when Bentley launched the new Continental Speed they did so in conjunction with the Bentley Blower and Breitling - the latter who has a long partnership history with Bentley.

View attachment 297638
Taken from the Bentley website: The Continental Speed 9 and the Bentley Blower.

View attachment 297641
The Bentley/Mulliner Continuation Series Bentley Blower - taken from the Bentley website.

View attachment 297639

At the launch, Breitling introduced the Premier Bentley Centenary Limited Edition watch. At the far left is the Rose Gold version which was limited to 25 pieces and on the right the two stainless steel versions which were limited to 1000 pieces. Now here is the fascinating part. The elm burr on the face of these watches echo the wooden seat-back of Henry Birkin's original Bentley Blower, the straps the diamond-pattern leather seats of the race cars while a special Bentley-inspired plaque on the watch mimics the dashboard texture.

View attachment 297640
Hi Heinrich, Great reply, thanks. I can’t afford the watch never mind the Bentley, but we all have our dreams. I find it interesting that the wealth of knowledge on many subjects can be found from modellers. I imagine that the perceived images of modellers is a sort of nerd teenager who hasn’t yet grown up and is making toys, but how wrong people can be when you read of the diverse interests and knowledge that abound on this site. But Heinrich, No Kissing!

Last edited:
I am assuming that the super charger is just in front of the engine driven by the crankshaft but why the "SU carb" looking things on the side? Later Edit: after I reved up my brain (see what I did there:cool:) I think I answered my question!

Plastic modelers (it is plastic?) are such great painters. Going to have to read some logs in the hopes of learning some tricks.

Fair winds.. Ed

Last edited:
Hi Sailor. Yes it's plastic and yes they are SU carbs. Many mistake the differences between a supercharger and a turbo charger and I'm no exception. I find painting plastic models interesting but also the most challenging part of the build, no matter how hard that I try I can never get it perfect but that's part of the fun, always chasing that elusive perfect result.

Hi. A short update. I've now painted most of the parts. In my quest for perfection I used Tamaya acrylic but with a self levelling laquer thinner which worked very well, this combination is highly recommended on many sites and is my future go to. Believe it or not looking at the body against the bonnet they were painted using the same colour at the same time. The body on the Bentley is made from an open wooden structure and covered in doped canvas for lightness as were many aircraft of the day, to try and depict this I gave the body a clear matt coat for a slight textured look, this accounts for the different looking colour as there is less reflection of light. the dash was made up and fitted and the decals applied. At the moment I'm on course for that elusive finish, fingers crossed.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

This is how you get me to watch a train build. Build a Bentley train! Ettore Bugatti, after coming unstuck against the Bentleys for the umpteenth time in Le Mans, jokingly referred to them as "the fastest lorries in the world!" :D

Hi. Again thanks for your likes. All is going well and it will soon be ready to take its place on the starting grid. It continues to go together well, some issues but fewer than you would expect from a forty year old kit, it's exceeding my expectations, and I'm on course for my best paint finish yet.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Great job Ken! Love the steering wheel! ;)
Thanks Dean. Yes I’m rather pleased that I decided to bind the wheel with some rigging cord rather than leave it plastic, seeing the result I went on and bound the leaf springs as well. This along with the plug leads is my only nod to detailing, as I said this was only going to be an out of the box build with attention to a decent paint job. I’m not a plastic car modeller but I’m enjoying the build very much.

My "good idea" stems very much from fact.

View attachment 299015

Good luck with your Bentley.
Hi Heinrich, I never doubted that the good idea was in fact true, I was only eluding to the extra work that you would like me to do. As the seat back was mostly hidden by the tonneau I decided not to go there. I did buy myself a workshop manual to help with the build as the kit one wasn’t really much use. I did notice that the number plate on the model was that of the picture that you sent me.
Ken

Back