Other hobbies that are not ship model building

Wonderful piece this Rapier,
I am a little curious about the text on the blade. The first owner was pretty rich for affording such weapon.Filigran with silver no?
Hat off !
kind regards,Daniel

Jeep,
that is identical to my scope I had several years ago (except for the guide scope). I miss it dearly. I sold it - and someday plan to replace it so I can observe again.

View attachment 162792
View attachment 162793
yes, amazing scopes, specially when you slap a Hyperstar on the end. Problems arise "as we get older" in hauling the thing around, need a little more muscle power every year to mount it all up. I see you have the "hand grenade" sized eyepiece on. jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeep,
I agree about the hyperstar, it really dials down the F 10 to about F2 or so. At the time, I just could not afford the $900 or so for it. I really wanted the Hyperstar, but I sold everything I had. I only have one EP left and that is one of those calibration EP's. Yep the Celestron 31mm was a huge EP. I could see all of the double cluster in Cassiopea. I was more into observing than astro P. I just could not get the hang of it.

Aviation is a long term interest of mine. I’m a licensed private pilot, but I don’t actively fly anymore. I used to design add-on aircraft for MicroSoft Flight Simulator, specializing in World War II propeller driven planes. I did a simulation of a Boeing B-29 Superfortress that was tested out by an actual WWII B-29 pilot. He told me it flew exactly like the real thing! A really proud moment for me!
I also build period furniture. Mostly American styles from the 18th and early 19th century. I’ve built most of the furniture in our house. Cherry is my favorite wood, and although I use power tools, I still love cutting dovetail joints in drawers and carcasses by hand!
I even found some time and built my own sailboat. She’s a 16’ OD gaff rigged sloop that the Admiral and I still sail.

So much to do, so much fun to enjoy, so little time!
Hello everyone,in this topic you can share what other hobbies you have.
Hello everyone,in this topic you can share what other hobbies you have.
Sorry: I can’t see where to post!

Oh boy, feeling old. Living in Thailand now for ten years, retired, I’ve always enjoyed bicycling and I find a large active cycling community here. Some even older than me turning out metric centuries. That is 100 km. +, I’ve ridden most parts of the country and all the other SEAsian countries at least once.

97042606-C84C-4012-A16B-08E2433297B2.jpeg812229F5-E0B3-45FA-804D-3C7A9D83C180.jpegCEFB626C-739E-481C-9AEE-6AD74FE26CCC.jpeg

Hi Daniel
The text on the blade: E M E V E 8 B E R N 8 +
This text and the blade mark of a Capricorn was the trade mark of a Swiss sword maker 1580 -1620
The right color, not easy to see on the photo is black and gold. And yes the Austrian Arch Duke was a rich man.
S5.JPGB.jpg
If anyone want to see some close ups of the swords and Pistols let me know it.

I restore the Rapier in my younger days and the Hand and half sword this year in may. So you can see me in change of time

Kind regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Hi Clair
It would be okay, and you could help me to restore some weapons I will buy next time, but I don`t know
If you would like the food my wife is cooking.

Hi joep4567
The pistols are all antique originals, but yes I made the new two parts for the lock of the cavalry Pistol by myself, but too the piece of
furniture standing round wall for all my books and the model of the 70 gun ship York of 1680 10.jpg

Beautiful swords, An being originals you can feel the right gravity point on the blade .
I see a lot of rubbish replicas with nothing but shape.
But if you want to go fencing with them you are gravely dissapointed.
Daniel

Hi
I love to hold such a sword or pistol in my hand, because it is a part of history.

The balance point of a sword is just as important as the weight for fencing. But we must too distinguish between privat and military swords
Important is the time of a sword, and for what use it was made; - for cut or stab. For a well cut the point of the blade must be heavy. By
fencing for an exact stab the point must be light. There would be a lot about blades to say, but this is not the place for it.

Willi (schifferlbauer)

Rapiersammlung (Large).jpghandling.jpghandling a.jpgBalance point.jpg

Back