Other hobbies that are not ship model building

Awesome work. I haven’t tried any abstract work yet, but I’d like to. Only so much time, right? One of my favorite artists, John Regis Tuska, who with his wife were frequent guests I. My home, had “Non Basta, Una Vita!” painted on his studio wall: “Not enough, one life!
I am also running out of walls, but my wife tells to keep them coming.

The Oberursel Radial is a fascinating subject! I still find it quite interesting that the cylinders rotated with the prop..
You did a great job on the model..

As you can see here, the propeller can’t be turned because the base is not high enough.
If you want it to rotate the building manual said that you should move the engine to the edge of a desk or table and rotate the engine with the Propeller in place.
Sorry, this is not a good advice because if you let go, the weight of the engine could make it fall forward and destroy your model,
View attachment 256057So, I made it in a way that the engine could be rotated as well as the propeller.
This is great to see things not as hulls and sails but looks back to what moved aviation forward. Very nice work on the prop and your finish. The metal components all came together and look like it could fire up!
How was the engine mounted to a firewall? Rich (P T-2)

This is what I find out from one of our models, the MA1030 Sopwith Camel:
https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-...ANE-WOOD-METAL-MODEL-KIT-116-SCALE_p_678.html
You might find interesting photos here for the attachment of the engines to the firewall/frame.
I'm also including parts of our plans where it shows that detail.
View attachment 256225View attachment 256226View attachment 256227View attachment 256228View attachment 256230View attachment 256231
Those drawing and photos of the model will take my old eyes and brain some time to figure out the actual connections of the engine to the firewall. I am confident that you have it all securely in hand so that the entire plane takes off and not just the engine with a spinning prop and cylinders!!!! :) Rich (PT-2)

Don't quote me but I believe the crankshaft bolted to the firewall/frame.
Just think in reverse, prop is attached to the block and crank to the frame. What always confused me is how they kept the oil in the crankcase. You'd think it would spin up the cylinders and get beat to foam.

Wow, excellent question.
I will wait for some aviation enthusiasts to respond it.
That question makes me feel like my son when he asked me for the first time what was the sky blue.
I feel like my son.

I've had lots of hobbies and pastimes over the years. Most have involved building something from a plastic kit or woodworking. I've done some scratch building in paper ( USS Cairo, buildings), plastic ( HO scale model of hometown grain elevator) and wood (toy vehicles, furniture). I've had a long time interest in muzzleloading rifles, building my first in 1979. I took up rifle building again about ten or twelve years ago and built a rifle for each of my four sons. I have completed fourteen so far and am awaiting parts for another build as I write.IMG_0359 (4).JPGIMG_0073 (1).JPG

I've had lots of hobbies and pastimes over the years. Most have involved building something from a plastic kit or woodworking. I've done some scratch building in paper ( USS Cairo, buildings), plastic ( HO scale model of hometown grain elevator) and wood (toy vehicles, furniture). I've had a long time interest in muzzleloading rifles, building my first in 1979. I took up rifle building again about ten or twelve years ago and built a rifle for each of my four sons. I have completed fourteen so far and am awaiting parts for another build as I write.View attachment 258534View attachment 258535
I LOVE the flintlock. Always wanted to get an 1766 Charleville. Is that a Pennsylvania rifle? York or Lancaster County?

I LOVE the flintlock. Always wanted to get an 1766 Charleville. Is that a Pennsylvania rifle? York or Lancaster County?
I would guess that it is not Pennsylvania as the stock does curve down to the shoulder butt. Maybe a Kentuck??? The process of shooting blackpowder muzzle loaders is most enjoyable in the loading process leading to the prime and firing assuming not a hung or misfire. Worse yet is having to get a ball out if it cannot be shot out. Is it a 54 cal? That seems to be a fairly common rifle at our rifle range where they have muzzle loaders competitions about every other month. Great full sound of teh shot and power blast. Very nice stock view. Rich (PT-2)

Back