Paddle Steamer Robert E. Lee, scale 1:96, scratch build by the Alan L. Bates drawings [COMPLETED BUILD]

Final report:
After 2 construction periods from 1987 to 1991 and April 2019 to February 2021, with a total of almost 1100 construction hours, the first sailing with the Robert E. Lee was made: to the photo studio:
00 Studio.jpg
Here's a few images. A series has been sent to Donnie who will soon add them in the Completed Models Showcase.

The daylight lamps make it very visible that the 30 year old paint of the hull and the 1st deck is already quite discoloured. But is will give extra charm to the story of The Lee.

With grey back ground:
02 LV.jpg

The bow and the stern:
05 VA.jpg

Never made it before, from above:
07 Boven.jpg

The hidden steam engine:
09 Steam engine.jpg

With a white back ground:
16 Af.jpg

A lot of lines, from chains&braces, spacers, guys, uprights, masts, stairs .......
18 Voor.jpg

And the comparison in greyscale with my main example photo:
20 Duo.jpg
I couldn't do exactly right away with my modern camera lenses. It is very likely the old photo was taken with a bellows camera.
It also flattened the ship. In Photoshop, I also flattened mine slightly with the help of a overlay with shifting the transparency.

I would like to thank everyone who has read and watched the build-log, provided with advice, comments and likes.
The construction of The Lee and the making of the report has given me great pleasure and satisfaction.
See you (perhaps) in mij BN build-log ;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Final report:
After 2 construction periods from 1987 to 1991 and April 2019 to February 2021, with a total of almost 1100 construction hours, the first sailing with the Robert E. Lee was made: to the photo studio:
View attachment 217259
Here's a few images. A series has been sent to Donnie who will soon add them in the Completed Models Showcase.

The daylight lamps make it very visible that the 30 year old paint of the hull and the 1st deck is already quite discoloured. But is will give extra charm to the story of The Lee.

With grey back ground:
View attachment 217261

The bow and the stern:
View attachment 217265

View attachment 217266

The hidden steam engine:
View attachment 217267

View attachment 217268

A lot of lines, from chains&braces, spacers, guys, uprights, masts, stairs .......
View attachment 217269

View attachment 217270
I couldn't do exactly right away with my modern camera lenses. It is very likely the old photo was taken with a bellows camera.
It also flattened the ship. In Photoshop, I also flattened mine slightly with the help of a overlay with shifting the transparency.

I would like to thank everyone who has read and watched the build-log, provided with advice, comments and likes.
The construction of The Lee and the making of the report has given me great pleasure and satisfaction.
Regards, Peter
very impressive and beautiful work Thumbsup OkayThumbs-UpExclamation-Mark

My friend
in between your log I already mentioned several times the high quality of your work....
these photos are confirming it - Congratulations for this amazing model - Realy a beautiful and highly interesting model

Final report:
View attachment 217259

With grey back ground:
View attachment 217261

The bow and the stern:
View attachment 217265

View attachment 217266

The hidden steam engine:
View attachment 217267

View attachment 217268

View attachment 217269

View attachment 217270

Regards, Peter
The last 2 photo: your model besides the original photo- Wow

A final post for my Robert E. Lee build-log:
Donnie @Donnie has added the whole series of my studio-photographs in the ‘Completed Model Showcase’:
Thank you again Donnie for making the presentation to my liking.
Regards, Peter

A final post for my Robert E. Lee build-log:
Donnie @Donnie has added the whole series of my studio-photographs in the ‘Completed Model Showcase’:
Thank you again Donnie for making the presentation to my liking.
Regards, Peter
Superb!
Ted

Congrats, Peter! A well-deserved place for Him\Her.:cool: A masterpiece to be proud of and display in our gallery! And thanks to @Donnie for making this happened.

Peter

I just went through your log. It is an amazing and beautiful and wonderful and awesome and.....don’t know what else to say.

quality dedication to details. Congratulations

Superb!
Ted
Congrats, Peter! A well-deserved place for Him\Her.:cool: A masterpiece to be proud of and display in our gallery! And thanks to @Donnie for making this happened.
Absolutely beautiful. You have a lot to be proud for.
Beautiful pics of a beautiful model!
Congratulations!
Peter
I just went through your log. It is an amazing and beautiful and wonderful and awesome and.....don’t know what else to say.
quality dedication to details. Congratulations
Hi,
All of you, and the other with there likes: thank you very much for the compliments and nice words. Okay
When I walk to my kitchen, I pass The Lee and stop for a moment to look. :)
Regards, Peter

Es increíble una maravilla lo que has hecho, es una obra de arte, desde cero es magnífico me quito el sombrero de verdad un saludo

ENGLISH
It is incredible a wonder what you have done, it is a work of art, from scratch it is magnificent I take off my hat really, hello

Back