Percassa Motor Torpedo Boat 1/24 scale by neptune

69.jpg
ext up were the holders for the life rafts, a lot of the kit parts are missing so I have to make them, I cut out the top part and then copied it to another piece of ply, these parts I cut out by hand with a craft knife and finished to shape with sand paper,

70.jpg
and with the life raft container,

71.jpg
just about ready for mounting on the aft structure,

72.jpg
mounted in place and also a munitions locker as well,

73.jpg
and a couple of views with the containers temporary in place,

74.jpg

75.jpg
and with a couple of scale figures,

Best regards John,

76.jpg
Next were the Torpedo holders, I needed four of these, so i clamped the four back supports together in my Milling vise and drilled all the holes at once, then using my new Dremel Moto saw I cut the excess away from the top of the back surrport, I'm realy pleased with the Dremel Moto Saw,

77.jpg
a close up view, the foot clamp holds the work piece nicely and the saw gives a really fine cut,

78.jpg
all four panels have been cut, just seperated the fourth one so you can see,

79.jpg
the four cradles all glued up

80.jpg
just showing where they will sit,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,

Last edited:
81.jpg
I had to make two mushroom type towers as part of the turbine cooling system, this is the making of the top parts of the mushroom, just squaring the turning,

82.jpg
there is a u shaped tube that goes from the top of these mushroom parts and joins them both together from each side of the boat, the tube is 8mm in dia so that is what I am drilling at the moment,

83.jpg
I beveled the edges,

84.jpg
then parted them off,

85.jpg
both parts, still need a sanding,

86.jpg
and after gluing to the bases,

87.jpg
and glued in position,

best regards John.

88.jpg
The five round beck hatches, the tops are castings that i had so I just had to make the raised plywood base and glue the lids on,

89.jpg
these are the turbine exhaust covers, I made them up like this as according to the plans, the covers are the same as the deck hatches,

90.jpg
this shows where they will fit,

91.jpg
the part below the exhausts is to keep the spray out of the exhausts, just starting to carve it out,

92.jpg
nearly finished,

93.jpg
and two pics showing it attached, it still needs to be trimmed down some more,

94.jpg

best regards john.

95.jpg
I was going to show the exhaust covers in the closed position, but then realised that in operation they would have been in the open position, so I glued and screwed a thick piece of ply to the inside of the transom and drilled the exhaust holes through,

96.jpg
I needed to fix some flanges with a tube that would go back through the transom, the idea was to block the inside end of the tube and paint the interiors of the tubes Matt black to give a depth to them, I was going to make them out of brass but just then I was pouring myself a soft drink and noticed that the bottle had a flange on the lower part that the stopper screwed up to, when i measured the bottle it turned out to be the right size, so i cut off the top of the bottle, ( the pic shows the cut off part upside down on the bottle ) ,

97.jpg
another view,

98.jpg
and the flanges sitting inside the holes,

99.jpg
close up view, once the ends have been blocked and the insides painted matt black I'm hoping they will look OK,

Thanks for looking in again,

best regards john.

100.jpg
After checking some pics on the net i realised that I had made the Spray Guard too deep, you can see where I have marked to cut it back to,

101.jpg
I also had to thin down and reshape the support under the spray guard, I have just about finished reshaping the support and I will then cut down the spray guard,

best regards John,

102.jpg
This pic off the net ( I do not know who to attribute this pic to, all I can say it is a fabulous model ) shows an aileron type flap at the bottom of the transom with what looks like two Hydraulic arms for controling it, I dont know if it works the same as on an airplane, that is for lifting or lowering the angle of the boat, i will have to check the net, i still have a fair bit of stuff to add in this area, although on my boat this flap will be static,

103.jpg
Gluing the flap in position,

104.jpg
still got a lot of shaping and other bits to add to this area yet,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

Hello John, Your PT Boat is looking Great, you never fail to amaze me with how you come up with items, and how you put these things together as though they always belong.
Regards Lawrence

Ingenious, John. Your eyes see all possible objects suitable for the given job! Apploud!
Hello John, Your PT Boat is looking Great, you never fail to amaze me with how you come up with items, and how you put these things together as though they always belong.
Regards Lawrence

Thank you Jim and Lawrence, at one time I couldn't afford to buy fittings and had to use what came to hand, so even now when I have the machinery I still enjoy looking for items to use, it's part of the fun,
Best regards John,

105.jpg
The reinforcements added to the aileron part,

106.jpg
and the two hydraulic arms, they look bent but it is just the camera angle, also building up the parts for the exaust doors,

107.jpg
adding the curved supports, I drilled into the back of the transom to hold the top of the support and for the lower part of it i milled a slot with my rotary,

108.jpg
Close up view,

109.jpg
both supports added,

110.jpg
added the side step ladders, i just have to straighten the lower one on the starb side,

thanks for looking in and all the comments and the likes,

best regards John,

Thank you Jim and Lawrence, at one time I couldn't afford to buy fittings and had to use what came to hand, so even now when I have the machinery I still enjoy looking for items to use, it's part of the fun,
Best regards John,

G'day Jim and Lawrence, see below my latest acquisition, I couldn't resist these two wood goblets for $2 for the pair, they will save me some work, see if you can guess what I will use them for,

best regards John,

112.jpg

G'day Jim and Lawrence, see below my latest acquisition, I couldn't resist these two wood goblets for $2 for the pair, they will save me some work, see if you can guess what I will use them for,

best regards John,

View attachment 433250
The first thing that comes to my mind - is the part of the model pedestals?!

Back