Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

@PT-2

Hi Rich,

It's hard to find any good or legit source of information how this chamber cannon/ bombard should look in Dutch/Swedish vessel.
No proper drawings or plans exist for that kind of vessel.
Model, which unfortunately I've choose it's based on cardboard model. Great design and publication, but just as cardboard model.
I had this idea to convert it to wooden... which I did.

After few years, when I actually started proper research I found out that design of the ship has quite few flaws and that's most likely doesn't really match to 1627.
...but it was too far to skip the project.

Ok.... long story... short :)
I'm not even sure if this kind f vessel had chamber gun/ bombard... but it was as a part of the model, which is my base so I've decided to include this cannon.

I was thinking about the look of this kind of cannon... and I was looking at some other vessels, wrecks, publications, etc....

Stephan already mentioned one. W. zu Mondfeld.

View attachment 254870

Then I saw Mary Rose wrecked discovery and spoked wheels were in use already, so I didn't have any doubts it was possible (I was thinking also on solid wheels)

View attachment 254877

View attachment 254871

View attachment 254872

View attachment 254875

I found some other variations as well...

View attachment 254873

View attachment 254874

So in fact... and with honest... bombards on my model are made as mix of few variants :)

Cheers,
Matt
Thank you for the background and time that you took to post it. It triggered my mind that I had seen this old type of cannon but did not associate it with naval usage. I had seen a video on the guys making and firing their reproduction which is a hoot! Rich (PT-2)

Hi All,

So I've manage to make last to pieces of decoration son this vessel ROTF
Two "soldier" heads... or whatever they should be ROTF

Carvings made one again from Laotian boxwood.

Only last few details missing... and I will be able to call the build complete ;)

5DM34997.JPG

5DM35001.JPG

5DM35003.JPG

5DM35016.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Fantastic work Mati,

What is the material of your candle in the latern?
What will be your next build?

Thank you @Steef66 , @PT-2 and @Maarten

My candle is done from candle wax ROTF just kidding... ROTF
It's made of cigarette rolling paper and wick is just a piece of rope.

I'm not sure what will be my next build... I have to really deeply re-think and find some really well documented ship :)
I love Dutch vessels... so it might be another one... but with much better documentation. We will see... because for sure I will build another Dutch ship.
I have also pile of wood already processed for La Belle in 1:24... so maybe for a change ROTF

Ok my Friends :)

THE END

This day has come :) Model is finally completed.
After many years of resting under the cover, I've managed to tie last knot :)

I would like to thank you All for many likes and warm comments BeerBeerBeerBeerBeer

I would like to thank you for many interesting discussions, where we could expand our knowledge or discover new facts.
Thank you Stephan and Kiril for you most participation!

Special thank to @Ab Hoving for his precious comments and for sharing his massive knowledge.

So at that stage I would like to share some final "shots" of Papegojan :)

Enjoy... and hopefully see you soon! :)

Papegojan 1627-3.jpg

Papegojan 1627-2.jpg

Papegojan 1627-4.jpg

Papegojan 1627-1.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not sure what will be my next build... I have to really deeply re-think and find some really well documented ship :)
I love Dutch vessels... so it might be another one... but with much better documentation. We will see... because for sure I will build another Dutch ship.
I have also pile of wood already processed for La Belle in 1:24... so maybe for a change ROTF

THE END

I would like to thank you All for many likes and warm comments BeerBeerBeerBeerBeer

I would like to thank you for many interesting discussions, where we could expand our knowledge or discover new facts.

Special thank to @Ab Hoving for his precious comments and for sharing his massive knowledge.

View attachment 255862

View attachment 255861

View attachment 255863

View attachment 255860
It is very evident that you put long hours of dedicated precise building to produce such a fine result. Beautiful to see and explore all of the minute details. Rich (PT-2)

Your pictures, your precise work, skills and eye for details made this a stunning work to watch. No, thank you for sharing this with us.
Looking out for your next build. Hopefully a Dutch model. There are a lot to find.

I am in love with your modeling "style" - Congratulation for finalizing this beauty
A very big advertisment for dutch ships

and also many thanks from my side to @Ab Hoving , for the hints and tipps and also the offer to help in the future task

I am looking forward to see your next build (and building log) - maybe already with starting the reserach work, which is also highly interesting

Congratulations, a very beautiful ship, impressive rigging and nice decorations, there is a lot to learn from following your work, very inspiring, regards Knut-

Congratulations on completing your wonderful model, first class.

THE END

View attachment 255862

View attachment 255861

View attachment 255863

View attachment 255860

Congratulations on completing your wonderful model, first class.

Hi All,

I can't thank you enough for so many generous and nice comments :)
I really appreciate it! Thank you! Beer

It gives me so much motivation to make sure that the next model it is going to be perfect :)

I'm still not 100% sure what will be next... but for sure I will post my work on this forum as we have here many great researchers and nice people ;)
I will make sure it will be interesting subject :)

Keep calm and carry on building beautiful models ROTF

See you soon... I hope :)

Cheers,
Matt

Hi All,

Little spam completely not related to Papegojan ROTFROTFROTF

Without motivation to start some bigger project... but still the same time I felt like to build something... I've decided to build some WWII tanks :p

So... results below... ;)

M4A3E8 Sherman, Pz.Kpfw.VI Ausf.E - Tiger 1 and T-34/85 :)

5DM35145.JPG

5DM35113.JPG
5DM35114.JPG
5DM35119.JPG

5DM35130.JPG
5DM35134.JPG
5DM35135.JPG

5DM35126.JPG
5DM35128.JPG
5DM35127.JPG

...and small soviet artillery tractor Ya-12 ROTF

5DM35105.JPG
5DM35106.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Hi All,

Without motivation to start some bigger project... but still the same time I felt like to build something... I've decided to build some WWII tanks :p

View attachment 265732

View attachment 265725
View attachment 265726
View attachment 265733

View attachment 265729
View attachment 265730
View attachment 265731

View attachment 265727
View attachment 265728
View attachment 265734

View attachment 265723
View attachment 265724

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Mati. An interesting diversification in the study of another plan of a Dutch ship .. o_O ;);)

Hi All,

View attachment 265732

View attachment 265725
View attachment 265726
View attachment 265733

View attachment 265729
View attachment 265730
View attachment 265731

View attachment 265727
View attachment 265728
View attachment 265734

View attachment 265723
View attachment 265724

Cheers,
Matt
Matt, I see your talents translate to the more modern models equally well. The detail is just mesmerizing, thanks for sharing.

Back