Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi All,

So I've manage to make last to pieces of decoration son this vessel ROTF
Two "soldier" heads... or whatever they should be ROTF

Carvings made one again from Laotian boxwood.

Only last few details missing... and I will be able to call the build complete ;)

View attachment 255518

View attachment 255519

View attachment 255520

View attachment 255521

Cheers,
Matt
Matt! You even managed to capture the effects of gravity in the way your rope coils hang!! I said it before, your ship stays in my reference library, thank you so much for sharing.

amazing work my friend - and a great painting and slightly weathering work

If you like, we have here another area for all models other than ships:

Thank you @Steef66 , @PT-2 and @Maarten

My candle is done from candle wax ROTF just kidding... ROTF
It's made of cigarette rolling paper and wick is just a piece of rope.

I'm not sure what will be my next build... I have to really deeply re-think and find some really well documented ship :)
I love Dutch vessels... so it might be another one... but with much better documentation. We will see... because for sure I will build another Dutch ship.
I have also pile of wood already processed for La Belle in 1:24... so maybe for a change ROTF

Ok my Friends :)

THE END

This day has come :) Model is finally completed.
After many years of resting under the cover, I've managed to tie last knot :)

I would like to thank you All for many likes and warm comments BeerBeerBeerBeerBeer

I would like to thank you for many interesting discussions, where we could expand our knowledge or discover new facts.
Thank you Stephan and Kiril for you most participation!

Special thank to @Ab Hoving for his precious comments and for sharing his massive knowledge.

So at that stage I would like to share some final "shots" of Papegojan :)

Enjoy... and hopefully see you soon! :)

View attachment 255862

View attachment 255861

View attachment 255863

View attachment 255860
Looks amazing, great job.

Wonderfully clean work Matt. Your construction is up there with the best I've seen. I think "clean construction" is a challenge for many of us, myself included. There is something about viewing a finished ship and seeing all the wonderful details and none of the glue or dust.

Would you please share your way of achieving a "no dust" finished ship. The no glue aspect I'm slowing getting the hang of, but even though I blow dust off the model after every task and cover her up for the day, I still can't seem to come close to the finish you and others have achieved. I sort of figured out that I will perform any construction off the ship that I can, but short of that I'm a little dumbfounded.

Anything you can share. Thanks Matt.

Ken

Thank you @tonphil1960 for such a nice comment!

Thank you @Hoss6262

I think key to success with "clean" model is just patience :)

Use of glue has to be well balanced and not to overdo with amount of glue.
I'm using various types of glues, most of the time CA glue... just well known super glue.
Also just simple wood glue is handy.

If I have excess of super glue on my detail I will scrape it off, same approach with wood glue. I will just scope it the excess or remove it with wet brush.

In regards to dust:

Here I guess key role plays surrounding.

I build my models in my apartment, in one of the room.
Obviously, some heavy wood work it’s done in my basement, but let’s called it "fine work" is completed on top of the room table :)
...still dust and other particles will land on the model, because it's impossible to maintain sterile conditions... but here it come handy few tools, which I'm using.
Antistatic brushes (commonly used by electronics), make-up brushes, fine vacuum attachments and hand air blowers.

1649009320727.png1649009357564.png
1649009770074.png1649009809004.png

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Hi All,

My name is Matthew and I'm from Poland.
I'd like to show you my recent model, which I'm building already quite few years... almost 11 ROTF
It's taking so much time not because of complexity of the build... but just simply not having enough time mixed with long months being on board the ship. I'm working as a Hotel Officer on board passenger ships. Well... not now... due to covid... so I have some unexpected long time off... so at least I can spend some more time behind the desk with my model.

Few facts about the ship and model.
Papegojan was build by Dutch shipyard in 1623 and year after she was delivered to Swedish Royal Navy with galleons Kristina, Tigern, Solen, Enhörningen, Mänen, Regnbĺgen, Pelikanen and second pinnace Regnier. During her service she was involved in few sea battles on Baltic Sea agains Crown of the Kingdom of Poland. Sank in 1644.

My build is based on cardboard model released by Shipyard http://model-shipyard.com/gb/sailing-ships/36-mk005-papegojan-no-34.html
However, it's just a cardboard model in 1/96 so obviously had a lot of simplified details. Model has already great design straight from Shipyard... but I had to pimp it up a little bit :cool::p My supporting materials are: Ab Hoving and his publications... mainly The ships of Abel Tasman and Cor Emke plans of pinnace Heemskerck.
There is no sight of any original plans of Papegojan... as Dutch shipyards most likely (and commonly) didn't draw any for specific ship. They used to build ships according to contracts and by general plans of this type of the vessel. Little bit free-style. So I believe my path is not completely wrong ;)

Wood mainly used for the build is Pear. Only deck were made of Birch wood. Carvings were made of Pau Marfim.

At that point just few hull and deck fitting are missing.
I'm focusing now on the rigging.... so soon I believe I will be able to post some photos with recent progress.

Enjoy the photos below.

Cheers,
Matt
Hallo @mati.n
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Long time not seen, are you working actual on a project? We are missing your amazing work

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for all birthday wishes! Really appreciate ;)

@Uwek yeah... I'm bit quite now... :D just sneak peeking others work :D
I'm currently back on board working, so I just had barely 2 months off... and I didn't have much time to start new project... but I did expand my collection of WWII Tanks ROTF they are not taking such a long time to build... and at least my fingers will remember how to build models :D

I will be back one day with one Dutch vessel... just need to prepare materials, etc... but it might take a while... unfortunately :)

Take care all!

Cheers,
Matt

Back