Pinta 1492 by Mike 41 – 1:32 scale Caravel

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

This building log of The Caravel Pinta is based on the book ‘the Ships of Christopher Columbus by Xavier Pastor’ and detailed drawings prepared by Jeff Staudt.

Details

Class & type: Caravel
Tons burthen: 60 – 70 tons
Length: 17 m (56 ft) on deck
Draught: 2.31 m (7.6 ft)
Complement: 69

Keel & Keelson Assembly:
The following parts are made from European Beechwood
1. Keel
2. Sternpost Keel
3. Sternpost
4. Stem
5. Apron
6. Deadwood
7. Keelson
8. Stern Keelson
9. Apron

This is a few photos of the assembly.

Any comments or questions are appreciated.

IMG_2631.jpgIMG_2632.jpgIMG_2633.jpgIMG_2634.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Mike and welcome to the forum, we are all a friendly bunch on here, very nice build you have going, I look forward to seeing more,

best regards John.

Thanks John, I will be posting more pictures soon.
Mike

Hello Mike,welcome aboard.I was following this build on Msb,seems like a nice Pof plan for scratch building nice work.

Thanks Zoltan,
The MSB site is going away so I need to move some stuff to a different site and Winston recommended this one. I’ll try not to overload the site I have a several logs to move. lol
Mike

Mike,you have maybe two month to move but don't worry about the overload ,we have a big hangar.

Ahoy Mike,
Welcome aboard I think you will find this a very friendly forum. I really like the way you do your build log. You have a great start I will be watching with enthusiasm. Nice work. :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Zoltan,
I expect to see several other model builders moving logs for the next two months.
Mike

Thanks Mike, this is my first day here and everyone has been very friendly. I am glad you like my build log I will try to keep it interesting.

Mike

Hi Mike

Welcome to SOS. I am am much enjoying watching you build log take shape.

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I see you have the Santa Maria on your Hold Builds List I have her on my future things to do list.
Mike

Thanks Brian, I built a Chebec back in 2012 but doesn’t look as nice as your Xebec.
Mike

I use a gantry style building jig (I could post the plans and instructions under the Tools, Lathes, Mills, Jigs and Techniques Section if there is any interest,) and the following photos show the keel being squared in the jig.

Mike

That would be great if you would post the plans to your Building jig.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff, I will post the plans in the morning.
Mike

Frames:
I really like the design for the double frames they are sisters with 5 pieces on one side and three on the other using all butt joints quick and easy to make.
The following photos shows the construction and temporary placement of the first few square frames on the keel

IMG_2648.jpgIMG_2649.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpgIMG_2652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joe,
Sorry about running down the neighborhood but a guy’s gotta do what a guy’s gotta do.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I do like the Proxxon X Y table on my milling machine it is accurate and does a respectable job. A lot of Chinese tools are being fabricated to US industrial standards you should get reasonable results with your new table. They sure beat a router attachment for a Dremel tool.
Mike

Half Frames:
There are 14 half frames 6 in the stern and 8 in the bow on each side of the keel and hopefully, they will be somewhat symmetrical. I like to build from both ends and watch what happens in the middle.
The following photos show the construction of the bow half frames.

IMG_2658.jpgIMG_2655.jpgIMG_2656.jpg

Back