Szkutnik - New Design POB HULL - New solution for impatient modelers

Fabulous work Kris:cool:

I have seen the CNC machined timber hull production before by Alexey Banarov. However, (I am sure Igor will correct me if I am wrong) Alexey only uses this system to construct hulls for his commissions and does not offer hull "shells" as a stand alone item.

You are making this option available for anyone.The 3D printed option is maybe a preferred solution for very large models to counteract movement through humidity changes.

I get some may view it as cheating but I am a firm believer in spending free time doing what I love.If I had chosen to build my Saint Phillipe as a fully planked model then I would be talking to you regarding a printed hull in 1/36. I am under no illusion that it would be cheap but neither is the timber for a fully framed model in this large size.The printed resin hull for me would be a more resilient base to start from in this large size. The UHU glue you show is flexible so should work well.

Kind Regards

Nigel

would it be more sensible to do it as mere sections, example the stern of the ship MINUS the decoration as one piece, the bow of the ship as one section minus decorations that then slide onto a heavy duty keel plate, and then the rest of ship can be done as two sections on the CNC machine OR as a standard plank on frame or even plank on bulkhead kit.

would it be more sensible to do it as mere sections, example the stern of the ship MINUS the decoration as one piece, the bow of the ship as one section minus decorations that then slide onto a heavy duty keel plate, and then the rest of ship can be done as two sections on the CNC machine OR as a standard plank on frame or even plank on bulkhead kit.

Doing this would actually let you use thinner, and lower cost wood. Essentially you would be using the model shipways method of "bread and butter" hull construction, but in a vertical method.

Or be duplicating the laser cut row boats in thin layers of wood..

AHOY and HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

We know how much time is needed to build a wooden hull of a sailing ship. How much patience and skill are needed. Not all modelers have enough time for their hobbies.

We have a solution for that. Santa Claus brought us a new 4-axis CNC milling machine. Whereby we can make a wooden hull in pieces. There will be enough to glue the pieces of solid wood together and to stick with the veneer. The thickness of the shell of the hull from 2.5 mm (0.1 inch) to ..... YOU WILL SAVE TIME.

NEW YEAR – NEW TECHNOLOGIES - NEW POSSIBILITIES - NEW SOLUTION FOR IMPATIENT MODELERS :)
Hallo @SZKUTNIK
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

This idea interests me. I'm at that age where I don't have too many more models in me! However I am not a fan of these multi decked 74's etc. Have you developed any plans for smaller vessels that could be resin printed?

Fair winds.. Ed

Its certainly an interesting alternative from another point of view. I may have missed it but haven't seen any costs mentioned. Unfortunately none of the popular woods are available in our part of the world so importation is necessary and very very expensive.
On top of the ticket price of Box or Pear, which I love, we have to pay an additional 30% currency difference to either the Euro/$US on top of that usually the price of the total order again in shipping + 11% tax.
The price of timber for a full POF 1/36 or 1/48 model almost needs a Bank Manager or two in the family so this could be be an alternative to those of us in this part of the world from the cost point of view.
Cheers Pete

Hi Bryian - I had previously admired your Alfred in the Gallery and it was your build that prompted me to buy half a dozen 60wx500 planks as a trial. I wouldn't call it cheap but it is certainly much more affordable compared to Pear or Box for a POF build. You may be able to steer me in the right direction but I didn't find any Huon Pine much thicker that the 9 mm planks I bought on ebay.au other than table top slabs. Cheers

Peter,
I bought a block of Huon pine from ebay, then cut it into billets with my bandsaw and then planking strips with my Byrnes thickness sander and small table saw.

Ahoy!

Sailor_ed wrote: Have you developer Any plans for smaller vessels that could be resin pronted?

Sailor_ed - what kind of small ships interest you? We design and we perform hulls of models on private orders.

From small sailing ships, currennly I can recommend hulls for models: La SAVOIE and LA VOLAGE.

s1.jpgs2.jpg

In this year will be available also the hull to the model LA MAHONESA (Works in progress).
Due to many questions about the price....

PRICES:
LA SAVOIE - Hull in scale 1/72 ( length 39 cm) – 100 Euro

- Hull in scale 1/36 ( length 78 cm) – 170 Euro

LA VOLAGE - Hull in scale 1/72 – 100 Euro

Hull in scale 1/48 – 150 Euro

Hull in scale 1/24 – 200 Euro

HULLS IN OTHER SCALES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE :D

PRICES OF GREATER HULLS (3D PRINT)

The hull in length: 70-100 cm - cost is from 300 to 500 Euro

The hull in length 100 - 130 cm - cost is from 500 to 800 Euro

At the purchase of the hull and the decoration to the model (together) we give the discount. :rolleyes:

Now we have ready designed hulls to models:

Sailing ships: Saint Philippe, HMS Tiger, La Volage, La Savoie, The 74-gun ship, Le Commerce de Marseille.

Ships: Wilhelm Gustloff, Bismarck, Iowa, Yamato/Musashi, Scharnhorst, Akizuki, destroyer Fletcher , destroyer Hunt II, American transport ships type: Victory, Liberty and tanker T2.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I am mainly interested in Dutch vessels of the 1600's or sloops of the 1600's or early 1700's. So mainly small single or double decked vessels. Thanks again for your attention.
Fair winds.. Ed

Ahoy!

@Sailor_ed - If You deliver the drawings, the documentation, we will prepare the design of Dutch vessel and we will print the hull. No problem. :)

Back