Proxxon Saw Fills The Vacuum

Hello all!
So I’m sitting and thinking: what to take: Proxxon FET or The Byrnes 4 "Table Saw? For me, the difference in money is somewhere around 200$, Byrnes 4" Table Saw is more expensive, but it's bearable. What is essential is the nuances and problems in operation.
I ask you to express your opinions, especially those who used both circulars.

Hello Archi. You will get a lot of opinions. Both are great saws. For me it is the Byrnes all the way. Much more robust, higher quality, all metal, more precision, stronger motor, heavier, etc. The drawback is, more expensive. It is true the Byrnes does not have variable speed, but unless you are cutting plastic or other soft materials it is not needed.

Just my thoughts. Others may have other ideas. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either tool.

Hello all!
So I’m sitting and thinking: what to take: Proxxon FET or The Byrnes 4 "Table Saw? For me, the difference in money is somewhere around 200$, Byrnes 4" Table Saw is more expensive, but it's bearable. What is essential is the nuances and problems in operation.
I ask you to express your opinions, especially those who used both circulars.
Hey Archi...
If you’ve read this thread from the beginning you will see that I’ve struggled with your problem as well. I agree with @mrshanks — 100%.!!!!
I chose the Proxxon FET for one reason only. You can’t get a Byrnes saw right now.! They don’t have any 120V motors for any of their power tools. So, for me, here in the US — that’s a problem. I studied the issues and decided to move on rather than wait for an unspecified length of time for delivery of a Byrnes saw. The extra cost was not a discriminator for me either. I just had my fill of waiting.
OTOH, if you use 220-240V power where you are, you CAN get a suitably equipped Byrnes saw right now.
So.... I too would choose the Byrnes saw if I wanted to continue waiting. (I had already been waiting for three months - with no end in sight...). If you need a 120V saw, then you’ll have to decide if you want to wait or not.
As @mrshanks said, both saws are fine. The Byrnes saw appears to be a rock-solid build, and is probably better in some ways. The Proxxon saw should serve you well. If you have the money & time and want the best— go for the Byrnes.

In the US, any competent electrician can install a 220V circuit from a standard household electrical panel. Larger motors run more efficiently on 220 than 110. In my woodshop, any equipment that had a motor that could be wired 110 or 220 was always wired for 220 as it ran cooler. Many motors, especially 1 hp or larger can be wired both ways.
A second simpler way and more cost-effective is to install a 110v to 220v converter and make use of two existing 110v outlets. Converters run from $25.00 and up such as a 500 watt one for around $40.00. Requires two 110 V outlets on different circuits. Many of these work both ways, from 110 to 220, and from 220 to 110.

EJ

In the US, any competent electrician can install a 220V circuit from a standard household electrical panel.
A very good suggestion and better than using a transformer. In-fact this will draw only half the amperage of a 110V circuit and therefore a lower power bill.

The Transformer option will indeed work but wastes energy in the long run.

A very good suggestion and better than using a transformer. In-fact this will draw only half the amperage of a 110V circuit and therefore a lower power bill.

The Transformer option will indeed work but wastes energy in the long run.

To avoid any unnecessary conflict... PLEASE let me say here..... The statement about current draw and costs is, quite frankly, incorrect.

If you examine your power bill, you will see that the amount you pay is based on ‘kWh’ (kilowatt hours) which simply is the power used in thousands of watts per hour. For ease of calculation we will say that Voltage x Amperage = Wattage (although it is not EXACTLY correct..). True wattage varies from that formula based on the type of load applied. Light bulbs are considered to be a purely RESISTIVE load, while most motors are an INDUCTIVE load. Because of the way these different loads utilize electricity, the amount of ‘power’ used by each at the same current draw is slightly different. So.... We will say that Voltage x Amperage = Wattage although in reality it is slightly different when calculated.

Back to the EASY calculations.! A fixed load at 240V DOES draw half the current (Amperage) of the same load at 120V. But, remember the power bill..... 10 Amps @ 120V versus 5 Amps @ 240V .....
10 x 120 = 1200 Watts
5 x 240 = 1200 Watts
Same like Same.....
The lower current draw (Amperage) on 240V is offset by the higher line pressure (Voltage). The end value in Wattage is the same. There will be no difference to your electric meter or your bill.

NOW.... there are some OTHER advantages that accrue to 240V loads ..... And certainly, efficiency is one of them. There are reasons for this—- which I will NOT go into here.

Last edited:
Good discussion here about the viability of using 240V motors in residential type applications. I considered having a 240V circuit wired in to run Byrnes saw. I have two electrical guys in my church who gave me “quotes” to do the job. Those guys working together said it would cost about $350 (USD..) including materials. I considered it. But, truthfully, since it’s possible I may move my shipyard space away from its present location.... I can’t justify the expense, especially if I have to do it over again later.!!

The transformer option is a possibility too. But a GOOD quality transformer is significantly more than the one in the video. And let’s ask ourselves, would you trust your $600 Byrnes saw to a $40 transformer.?? Not me...

A dedicated circuit would be the way to go (IMHO.), but I just can’t justify it.!!

Last edited:
Hey Hobbit,
I'm sorry buddy but I disagree with your comments. I have a Byrnes table saw with 120 volts, and I run it with a wall socket transformer without issues for the last 5 years. We have 240 volts down here in Australia.

Hey Brian... The use of a transformer IS a possibility.... I agree.!! My statement was about my opinion. I used a lot of transformers in Germany over the years. Although I will say they were are a lot more expensive than $30 and a LOT bigger and heavier than the one in the video.

These days, with some things being more cheaply made (especially electronics..), and other things getting more expensive (Byrnes saw..), I just think it may be a false economy to feed a $600 saw through a $40 transformer.!!

I DID look up some transformers. There are some that appear to be quite well made... and by respected companies. Although a LOT more money than $40.!! I would think they would be fine. Yours may be one of those.! Or not.!! It doesn’t really matter. Every one has a comfort level they deal with. MY comfort level precludes me from using a cheap transformer for powering an expensive saw. —-YMMV—-

I encourage anyone (everyone..) to do their research and make their own decision. After all, you are the only one you have to satisfy.!!

Hey Hobbit,
I'm sorry buddy but I disagree with your comments. I have a Byrnes table saw with 120 volts, and I run it with a wall socket transformer without issues for the last 5 years. We have 240 volts down here in Australia.

Hey Brian...
I am not familiar with the Aussie power grid. So, a quick question for you... How did you end up with a 120V saw in a country with a 240V mains.?? Why would you purchase a saw like that.?? Maybe just a good deal.??

MicroMark has a tilting arbor saw for $319.00 and a rip only saw for $90.00. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with those machines.?

Thoughts anyone?
EJ

I have one of those. As my first table saw, I thought I wasn't going to use it much except for sawing planks. Boy, was I wrong, I have had it for 4 years and use it at least once or twice a month, both for building ships and my other wood craft (puzzle boxes).

I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a Byrnes saw. I get bad looks in my club from having a micromark and not a Byrnes.

This weekend I burned out the motor. I used it longer than 3 hours, which tech support said, you shouldn't as I needed to take breaks to cool off the motor. New motor cost $90.00. The motor is tough as nails but you can't run it as long as i did, eventually it broke.

All in all I love the saw, tilting the table to cut at an angle works great. Also, many types of blades are available.

My only pet peeve is that the ruler has black markings on black background. I painted that silver and the millimeter marks matt black.

Marcus

AGAIN ALL THIS TECHNICAL TALK, I WILL STILL TAKE MY $124.00 9 INCH BAND SAW JUST CUT SOM 1/32 INCH STRIPS, THEN SOME FRAMES SAME SAW NO CHANGES CAN A $600.00 4 INCH TABLE SAW DO THAT, AND IF NEED BE MY-SON-IN-LAW CAN RIP SOME 2 X 4S, AND WITH A BLADE CHANGE CAN RE-SAW SOME OTHER MATERIALS ALL ON ONE SAW WITH FURNISHED FENCE, AND MITER GAUGE CAN BY SOME GOOD QUALITY KITS FOR THE SAVINGS, DIFFERENT TOYS FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS (LOL). GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Back