Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

Paul,
Just watch out what type of blade you are using. There is no problem using blades, made for timber (the tooth width of which is bigger than the blade itself) but if I am using blades for metal (where the two are equal) then the blade burns the wood and also itself. The simple reason of this is that the blade is not exactly parallel to the gate - the cure for which I did not manage to find. Additionally, a similar problem with the gate itself is that if it is not fully and quite often cleaned from sawdust, the gate will slightly move while the fixing lever is tightened and this enhances not only the effect above, but also will ruin the pre-set cutting width. This effect (when the gate changes angle and also position) can be clearly seen while the lever is tightened. To cure this the gate has to be taken off the rail and the dust have to be blown off it on the rail side of the lever. I do it only with my mouth but if you have pressurized air supply, it is obviously better.
János

Is the saw to cut up your freeze-dried veggies from storage box.....

Let me know what you think, I am looking and don't know if Micro-Marks TT saw is better or worse than the Proxxn FET saw. I will have to check cost difference out as well.

I believe that the two are basically identical (might be different in some details though). I think Proxxon manufactures the 'Micromark' type of equipment (black in colour as opposed to the original green-yellow) and MM are selling it under their name. Not only saws, but a number of other items too.
János

AGAIN I REPEAT THIS, THE SMALL MODEL TOOLS LIKE THE PROOXON, MICRO MART, BYRNES, ETC ARE PRICED TO HIGH FOR WHAT THEY DO, I TOOK DAVE STEVENS ADVICE QUITE SOME TIME AGO AND WENT FOR THE LOW TO MEDIUM PRICED BIG BOYS THAT ARE FAR MORE VERSITAL AND A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER, that is including my POOR MANS THICKNESS SANDER HALF THE PRICE AND DOES THE SAME THING MAY BE TAKES A LITTLE LONGER, BUT I CAN GET MATERIAL DOWN TO 1/32 ON SOME MATERIALS like beech erc and all i have to do is not be lazy and take the top off and now a spindel sander, half the price, i can continue,and yes there are some that you really need a hobby type machine, my milling machine was the same price as the proxxon, but better made know plastic except for dials and screws onc NIGEL TOLD ME WHAT TO DO WORKS QUITE WELL JUST NOT AS VERSITAL, AND HAS ITS LIMITATION BUT WORKS FOR ME, take a look at the TOOLS DONNIE, NIGEL, UWE AND OTHER MASTERS USE, DO NOT SEE MANY TOYS THERE MY 10 CENTS, THE PRICE JUST WENT UP. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

To help with my Blandford build ( what man needs an excuse to buy new tools) I picked up two new pieces of equipment from Harbor Freight

A belt sander with 5” disk on side and a new oscillating sander!
C4EA9375-C9A5-45C6-BCAA-6B51E50F1ADF.jpegC78B81FD-A2BF-438E-B5A5-E95DCC704D64.jpeg

Also my tool order from Micro Mark of new set of Permagrit Files came in today

451BEE1C-8B44-48ED-9F19-AB27E4D84D88.jpeg

You can (relatively) easily add some kerf to a metal cutting slitting saw with a saw setting pliers-
These are standard flea market/boot sale items in the USA. It's tedious, and since I do it so seldom I mark every tooth with the direction it needs to be bent. It doesn't take much but you have to pay attention.

To help with my Blandford build ( what man needs an excuse to buy new tools) I picked up two new pieces of equipment from Harbor Freight

A belt sander with 5” disk on side and a new oscillating sander!
View attachment 148979View attachment 148980

Also my tool order from Micro Mark of new set of Permagrit Files came in today

View attachment 148981
Very good tools - What I can highly recommend in addition to your Permagrit tools are the small ones
I am using these Riffler and Needle Files -set very often
phpThumb.png

I finally had time to check out my new Proxxon FET saw. I used my mechanists square and my digital caliper to measure the error between the saw blade face and each end of the machined grove in the work table. It was about 4mm. WOW. I carefully checked how I might correct this through some adjustment or other. Nope. So it's all boxed up and will be returned tomorrow. So now what? I have the cheapest MicroMark table saw which actually works well and is pretty square. It has limited use tho. Any suggestions? The Byrnes website says they aren't shipping any more 110v products because of supply problems.

Paul
Before you send the FET back, consider the followings. I just ran down into the dungeon and tried it on mine. First I measured the parallelity of the blade in relation to the groves. I found a difference of 0.25mm at the front and rear edges of an 80 mm blade at its highest position. Hm. This is big enough to burn the blade and the wood with a metal blade. But this does not really matter because the timber is not guided by the groves, but by the gate. So I measured the same distances between the gate and the blade edges. I found it to be out by 1mm. This is bad. BUT (and I started to bang my head into the wall at this point) there IS and adjustment possibility for the gate, an Allan-screw at the front, where the gate adjustment nut and lever are. Grrrr. Why did I not think about this before? So the task is to set the gate itself parallel to the blade by adjusting the gate itself and just leave the non-parallel state of the blade relative to the groves as it is. Your 4 mm discrepancy looks to be quite big but I believe you can still set the gate up parallel to the blade irrespective of this and use the saw happily!
János

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m afraid it’s too late as it’s all packed up and ready to return. I looked at those screws and the two adjustment screws under the saw and couldn’t get them to adjust. In fact I couldn’t loosen one of the screws underneath. I spent quite a while searching the web and watching videos. My conclusion is that it is not made to be adjusted and I just happened to get a bad one. I tried several times to make a nice straight cut and was frustrated every time. Life is just too short for this. For $350 it should perform much better.

So now I need ideas on what to use for a decent small table saw.

Good luck, Paul, I hope the replacement will be a better one.
I did not even try to adjust the blade (or the motor) because to my knowledge there is no adjustibility there. So I just went with the flow and adjusted where I could but from the geometry's point of view it should be right.
János

I got fed up with my Exacto knife blades loosening in the handle as I worked so I just bought this
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg
The handle keeps the blade right and it's very comfortable

This would come under the heading of "Something new". OK, the lathe is not new neither is rust! (but the picture is)
About the middle of November last year I wrapped this machine in four layers of cling wrap expecting a wet summer, didn't happen and it was put into a cupboard well away from any weather. On the side...
Four weeks ago I purchased some steel tube that is painted and it/they were wrapped in cling wrap (industrial), where the cling wrap is, only, the steel has rust on it.
On the lathe it did not contact the steel, I reckon there is some chemical that reacts with metal to slowly destroy it! BTW, I had a small open container near it with some brass rod in it and they are all green, the lathe by the way had a film of light engine oil all over it, doesn't look like there was any oil it? so tomorrow most of my morning will be taken up de-rusting the lathe. Lost a grub screw somehow but will make a new one whilst I'm about itP1010924.JPG

Yesterday I received some brass profiles, brass plates of different thicknesses and a small (cheap) soldering station. Everything well packed and fast delivery.
I am very happy about quality and service of the german supplier "Modellbau Schönwitz"

brass6.jpg

brass1.jpg

brass5.jpg

brass3.jpg

brass4.jpg

brass2.jpg

If yours wont just ship it to me and I will test my 10" table saw out, maybe it will work, I will just keep a little for processing fee....

The wood looks nice, should be great under a nice light oil or varnish.

I've been collecting damaged, tourist grade ebony carvings at flea markets, just for the wood. It's a bad habit- I still have way too many 19th Century Walnut bed rails I picked up when I lived in small town US Midwest. They are still there in my mothballed house waiting to be turned into something.

Back