Queen Anne Barge - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

JpR62

Marteen, I used Vallejo Model air color and Winsor&Newton Galeria Acrylic.
It's a little complicate but as I started with this recipe, I follow it at each step of painting :
(From right to left on the picture)
Paints_1.thumb.jpg.b14ce82db22defe43ed17205e725cff8.jpg

Two coats of Vallejo Surface Primer (mix of 70 605 German Red Brown and 70 624 Pure red) ratio 50/50 - applied using an airbrush
One coat of Vallero Model Air 71.084 Fire Red mixed with Game ink 72 086 (ratio 50/50) - applied using an airbrush
Then three coats of Windsor&Newton Crimson with a little part of Burnt Umber - brushed, very diluted
and at the end three or four coats of Vallejo 71.084 Fire Red mixed with 71.003 Red (ratio 50/50) - applied using an airbrush
I think it's the Fire Red that gives the slightly darker color...

Maarten

Staff member

Marteen, I used Vallejo Model air color and Winsor&Newton Galeria Acrylic.
It's a little complicate but as I started with this recipe, I follow it at each step of painting :
(From right to left on the picture)
Paints_1.thumb.jpg.b14ce82db22defe43ed17205e725cff8.jpg

Two coats of Vallejo Surface Primer (mix of 70 605 German Red Brown and 70 624 Pure red) ratio 50/50 - applied using an airbrush
One coat of Vallero Model Air 71.084 Fire Red mixed with Game ink 72 086 (ratio 50/50) - applied using an airbrush
Then three coats of Windsor&Newton Crimson with a little part of Burnt Umber - brushed, very diluted
and at the end three or four coats of Vallejo 71.084 Fire Red mixed with 71.003 Red (ratio 50/50) - applied using an airbrush
I think it's the Fire Red that gives the slightly darker color...
Thx, The result is definatey worth the effort.

JpR62

Thanks to all who follow the progress of my build.
I was able to advance on the laying of the boxwood panels. For the 20 small side panels, no particular problem, they position themselves on top of the thwarts.
Boxwood_panel_1.jpg

At the stern, I photocopied the plan and cut out the useful parts to precisely determine the position of the panels.
Boxwood_panel_2.jpg
Boxwood_panel_3.jpg

A piece of wood of the right height quickly shaped will help to install the panels.
Boxwood_panel_4.jpg
Boxwood_panel_5.jpg
Boxwood_panel_6.jpg
Time to add the friezes.

Hedley

Great work! It's turning into a lovely little model, love the colour.

JpR62

Thanks to all who follow the progress of my build.
I finished laying the paper friezes .
Friezes_3.jpg
Friezse_4.jpg
I just built quickly some jigs using the inner shape of the panels. A small hole, a toothpick, a little sanding stroke once the assembly done and we have a help to cut the rounded shapes of the friezes and to ensure they are well in place once glued.

Iron_strap_1.jpg
The iron strap was glued. It is composed of three parts. The seams between each length was filled with some modelling epoxy.
Iron_strap_2.jpg
The whole is sanded with fine-grit sandpaper and receives some touching up of paint. The bolts have been simulated.
I still have to apply some rust brown weathering powder to the strip.

The resin castings are in place.
Lateral_resin_01.jpg
Lateral_resin_02.jpg
Lateral_resin_03.jpg
Lateral_resin_04.jpg
I will start now to carve the Queen Anne cypher.
Happy New Year everyone !