Queen Anne Barge - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

Thank you to all the 'Likes'.

As I have a very specific idea for the base and it requires the use of a table saw (which I have not yet ...), I move quietly on the sculpture of the decorative carvings.

1590046658634.png

Having finished the first 2 carvings, it was at the time of the setting up on the barge that I realized my stupidity
The decorations must be symmetrical and should not be carved on the same side.... So I have to start one of her again ...

1590046761352.png
The good news is that each carving had a small piece of broken and I could not find any more broken parts that I had yet set aside....
I was able to repair one of the broken elements by sacrificing the second carving (which anyway was unusable because carved on the wrong side)

1590046876605.png
The second good news is that I reproduced the same mistake in preparing the second part but as I just started to sculpt one of them, I'll be able to glue the second piece on the right side.
A second set of extra boxwood carving blanks should arrive shortly from Syren...

Thank you to all the 'Likes' and for your kind words.
The flag staffs are in place waiting on the flags.
View attachment 141997

View attachment 141998

In parallel, I worked on the oars. The problem was to find a solution to repeat the regular shaping of the blades.
I built a little jig for this.
View attachment 141999

View attachment 142000

Just turn the blade halfway in order to have a regular angle on both sides.
View attachment 142001

View attachment 142002

Then the blades are slightly bent
View attachment 142003

All the four pieces are finally glued together
View attachment 142004

The ten sweeps are ready for the painting phase...
Thank you to all the 'Likes' and for your kind words.
The flag staffs are in place waiting on the flags.
View attachment 141997

View attachment 141998

In parallel, I worked on the oars. The problem was to find a solution to repeat the regular shaping of the blades.
I built a little jig for this.
View attachment 141999

View attachment 142000

Just turn the blade halfway in order to have a regular angle on both sides.
View attachment 142001

View attachment 142002

Then the blades are slightly bent
View attachment 142003

All the four pieces are finally glued together
View attachment 142004

The ten sweeps are ready for the painting phase...
JP, this is just a beautiful build. I have the kit, too, and only dream mine will be half as nice. Can you give more details on the jug you built to standardize the oar sanding. Very clever and can't figure out how you did it.

Back