Queen Anne Barge - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

For my first log, I decided to share my work on a kit of a barge. When I began in this hobby, I was attracted at once by barges. Quickly, my choice was reduced to three models: the 18th Century Longboat from Model Shipways, the english Pinnace, an another Model Shipways model and the Queen Anne Barge from Syren Ship Model Company.
It quickly seemed that the most appropriate choice lived in the Queen Anne Barge. And this for many reasons. At first, this model seem more suited to a modeler having not many experience. Chuck Passaro, the designer of this kit, has designed a wonderful kit which contains all the elements necessary to simplify the work of the builder. The barge has only three strakes of planking. Furthermore, all of the outboard planking has been pre-spiled and two sheets of laser cut planks are supplied, one for the port and the second for the starboard side. The second reason for my choice, is the quality of the manual of instructions. Chuck must have been teacher and writer in a previous life… The manual is read as a novel and numerous photos illustrate the very precise explanations. You have only to follow the instructions and all will be fine.
The last reason is the quality of the model. As with his previous model, the Cheerful cutter, Chuck has again designed a ´must to have´ kit. The quality of the laser cut is one of the best currently and the concept of the kit is innovative. Everything is thought to simplify the work of the modelist. The Syren Ship Model Company is, for me, one of the leader in this market and I look forward to the next model… It will be mine too.
But now it's time for the build.
You just notice that I used a piece of scrap 1/32" basswood to help me to center the two pieces on the top of the keel. So I have better luck that these two pieces have a regular 1/32" lip on both sides. For the rest, I just follow carefully the instructions...

It will be time to prepare the frames.

1:24 is a nice scale to work in. Looking forward to your build. Chuck P has some average kit designs and practicums but they are no where close to state-of-the-art. Just my opinion after 50 years of modeling. Take a look around SoS and you will see what I mean. A lot of talent here. :)

There are good ,not that good,bad and really bad kits on the market,I am in trouble now because there are some good kits I want to build but I turned to the dark side,but never say never,who knows I might build the Trident Alert kit and maybe other Chinese Pof kit.

welcome to SOS we are happy to see Syren company and a build log of a kit as part of our list of companies that take part in and support our forum.

1:24 is a nice scale to work in. Looking forward to your build. Chuck P has some average kit designs and practicums but they are no where close to state-of-the-art. Just my opinion after 50 years of modeling. Take a look around SoS and you will see what I mean. A lot of talent here. :)

Mike Shanks

like mike i have been building for 50+ years and todays kits are indeed state of the art the Alert kit by Trident models is a fine example with their 3D modeling etc.

Hallo,
I am happy, that you have found our forum and send a warm welcome here on board.

I am looking forward to see your model construction - and will follow with big interest - hope to see a lot of photos and descriptions :cool:

Thanks all for your kind words. I'm sure this build will be very pleasant and peaceful.
I continued to follow faithfully the instructions of the excellent manual. The instructions are precise and built on a very educational method. Each step is described and illustrated by many color photos
As I work in the computer world, I was able to print the manual on a good laser color printer. Just follow the instructions and take a lot of fun in the build of this kit.
Nothing is glued. It's just a test to see how it will be. I just notice that the two frames 0 should not face in the same directions. I will correct this when it will be time to glue the frames.

I will follow your log with great interest. I have this kit also in my stash. Your first steps are looking really promising.

Chuck P has some average kit designs and practicums but they are no where close to state-of-the-art. Just my opinion after 50 years of modeling. Take a look around SoS and you will see what I mean. A lot of talent here. :)

Sorry I don't understand, what you like to say. I think that the kit is really well designed and will make a lot of fun to build. I don't see how this comment can motivate the builder or is helpful for him. Just my 2 cents.

MIKE SHANKS IS RIGHT COMPARE THE NEW KITS ALERT THAT IS THE STATE OF THE FUTURE of this great hobby, my 2 cents also, like our motto LIKE WHAT YOU BUILD AND BUILD WHAT YOU LIKE, this is our forum. Don

Looks like a very interesting project. It will definitely have a better instruction manual that most kits currently available on the market which in turn can tend to make or break a project for most novice and intermediate builders. Look forward to seeing your build progress.

This barge is part of the family of ceremonial barges and will therefore be longer than a longboat. She will have a length of 18 inches (46 cm).
It is inspired by models presented at the National Maritime Museum of London.

Finally I have glued the planks #1 and #2 on each side of the barge.

Now I will work on the plank #3. All planks are provided pre-cut. It only remains to bend it.
I just have clean the laser char. Its time to bend and twist. I just have to be careful to bend it in the right direction...

Back