Queen Anne Barge - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

Thanks Dicas and John and thanks to all the 'Likes'.
The lower moldings were added after some painting job.

lower_moulure_01.jpg

lower_moulure_02.jpg

lower_moulure_03.jpg

I also started to glue the interior planks. I sanded the top edge flush with the top of the cap rail after using some lightweight filler to fill the little gaps.
The building is really fun

lower_moulure_04.jpg

lower_moulure_05.jpg

Thanks to all the 'Likes'.
I have begin to work on the two benches. I just made a small change in the sequence of the steps.
I preferred to glue the two coxswain seats before to add the bench seat back.
I found that it was easier to fill any gaps on this two seats without the presence of the bench seat back.
Stern_b_1.jpg

Stern_b_2.jpg

Stern_b_3.jpg

Stern_b_4.jpg

I will paint now all the whole back part at the back of the bench seat before to glue it.

Stern_b_5.jpg

I also find it easier to position the seat back with the two coxswain seats in place.
All parts of the kit are well cut and fit together perfectly.

Thanks to all the 'Likes'.
The work on the bench seat back is done. I continued the painting work by applying many thin layers of paint.
back_seat_1.jpg
The risers have also been installed and the forward platform added.
back_seat_2.jpg
back_seat_3.jpg
I will add now the stretchers. I must first place on each side a long thin timber.
To find the right position and especially to be able to give these two timbers the good shape, I prepare a jig.
back_seat_4.jpg
After photocopying the plan and establishing the complete floor situation, I determined the position of the timbers at six locations. I hope to be able to preform the two timbers using this jig... It will be for tomorrow, once the glue dries...
back_seat_5.jpg

Thank you to everyone who follows this build.
The stretchers are in place.
I first bend the two long thin timbers using the jig that I have build. Two minutes in hot water and the I fixed them on the jig using rubber bands.
pieds_1.jpg

pieds_2.jpg
After a few hours, they kept their shape.
pieds_3.jpg
This way of doing things facilitated the final positioning
pieds_4.jpg

pieds_5.jpg
I can now add the thwarts...

So I worked on the thwarts. I first prepared all the pieces and made a test fit. Each piece was then numbered when I disassembled them for painting.

thwarts_1.jpg
I pasted them on a double sided tape so I can paint all the thwarts together.

thwarts_2.jpg

I then glued the pieces one after the other.
thwarts_3.jpg

thwarts_4.jpg
I will now finish the inside planking.
Always so much pleasure with this build.

Thank you for all these nice comments and to all the 'Likes'.
A little update on my build log. I finished the inside planking.
For the shorter curved piece at the bow, I replicated it on a cardboard so I could cut it to the right length.

planking_bow_1.thumb.jpg.485c419f791fbeca60a676bb72713c50.jpg

Planking_bow_2.jpg
I then curve it in shape and before gluing it I marked its height wit a compass. I finally sanded it to the right width using an emery board before gluing.
Planking_bow_3.jpg
All the spaces are filled with wood filler and sanded smooth.
Planking_bow_4.jpg
Planking_bow_5.jpg
I'm ready for the last stage of painting...

Thank you for your nice comments and to all people who follows this build.
I finished my last big stage of painting. But before doing it, I glued all the thole pins. I don't like to glue painted elements...
Last_paint_1.jpg

Last_paint_2.jpg
Do not be surprised by the space between the two inside planking : as the future boxwood panels will be positioned on top of the thwarts, this small gap will finally hidden by them. I also placed the seal between the two parts of the lower molding at the future emplacement of a resin casting. Just hope that my calculations are correct...
I was a little afraid of the border between the cap rail and the upper molding. But after a little sanding using a fine-grit sandpaper I'm pretty satisfied with the final result.
Last_paint_3.jpg
Last_paint_4.jpg
Last_paint_5.jpg

Back