Rattlesnake 1/48 - Harold M Hahn

This will be my build log about the Rattlesnake build that I liked from the first time I saw pictures of Harold M Hahn`s models and model built by Janos.
I imagine this can be a pretty model even without carvings, this is something I'm not very good at.
The drawings were purchased through Navy Board Models, with great help from Winston and Chris Hahn.
The plans were sent to me rolled up in a cardboard tube, super, no folds

a ratt (1).jpga ratt (2).jpg
Greeting-

Now I've hosted Staples and scanned / copied the plans so that I can line up and cut out patterns so it's easier to copy on
A4-A3 as needed.
The originals I should not touch, just save to be sure in case I make a mistake.
a ratt (3).jpga ratt (4).jpga ratt (5).jpg

Greeting-

Excellent news, Kurt! I am taking the first row seat (again) and will follow as your build progress. What type of construction she will be: POF or POB or even a solid hall? I know the plans are for POF...

Jim, I want to build my model the way Janos has built his model, it has full planking on one side and open on the other.
There will also be no rigging.
I think Janos has a link on his profile, I would also like to thank him for the nice pictures of his model.
POF or POB ?.
Greeting-

POF or POB ?.
POB - Plank on Bullheads, where POF is Plank on Frame. Models with frames, often times don't plank the entire hull (at least after the wales). They want to show the accommodations and build layout of the 'inside' ship. For the same reason they don't plank the desks, leaving expose the carling and ledges joinery work. Also, they don't rig them. Such models style often called - Admiralty style or Navy Board models.

Thanks for good information Jim, I think my model will be POF, as Blandford is going to be, I haven't given up on that project,
Blandford will be the model to teach me the Rattlesnake techniques.
Greeting-

Got my popcorn gonna be watching this. mines going to be slow to the start as after being gone 9 months this year I have a huge honey do list while on vacation. I take 5 and 10 min breaks cut out parts do some sanding and a little drawing then back to work

Very interesting project - I am happy to see, that you started already this POF model.
It is looking like a very good planset - also the form of the Jig is included Thumbs-Up

Maybe you can show a little bit more of the planset in a planset review? Just a thought

Thanks for your encouraging words Lawrence, the work I'm doing now is mainly planning, testing out the types of materials I've created myself, make paper patterns in large quantities in case I make any mistakes.
I've created 3 test frames to see the difference between the 3 wood types.
Greeting-

Thanks Jim, these are materials I've cut, dried and customized myself, a lot of work to get to this stage.
When these materials are used up, I will probably buy from my local sawmill.
But these amounts of material will be enough for some models, time will tell.
Greeting-

Jim, I'm going to try to make a jig that you show,
possible opportunity exists and drawing of this jig it goes and download as a PDF file, (wishful thinking).
I also don't want to make any fuss about this.
-

First frame - American pine.

I am using overhead paper between the pattern parts, and glass, and glue.
nr1 (1).jpgnr1 (2).jpgnr1 (3).jpgnr1 (4).jpgnr1 (7).jpgnr1 (8).jpgnr1 (9).jpg

Glass plate out of a closet door.
nr1 (5).jpgnr1 (6).jpg

Made a sanding jig of a stainless tube and a screw, double sided tape and sandpaper, works very well.
nr1 (10).jpgnr1 (11).jpgnr1 (12).jpgnr1 (13).jpg

Finally, fine grinding, gr 180.
Result - light and fine but very soft, easy to get marks in the material.
nr1 (14).jpgnr1 (15).jpg

---

Back