Rattlesnake by MS

Finished fabricating the crossjack yard and top, as well as the main mast course yard. Unlike Syren with very specific instructions on which dowels (dimensions) to use for each individual yard, Rattlesnake leaves that up to the builder. One has to compare dowels to the plans and I'm thinking I choose a dowel too fat for the main mast lower yard. What I produced looks way too fat, in fact the diameter of what I fabricated looks even fatter than the main mast itself. Ah well, three hours work down the drain. I'll start again from scratch tomorrow.

lkljghgff.jpg

Sewing the reef bands. Just a short length of thread with a knot on the end and poked through the sail with a sewing needle.

fdgdf.jpg

Adding the leech line blocks (one per side) and bunt line blocks (two per side). The clew line block, sheets and tacks will be your typical three block apparatus at the lower corner of each side.

hngcbvc.jpg

Last edited:
A question to all that are viewing. Since I'm installing sails (for the first time) and the leech lines and bunt lines won't be just stopped at the block and fed down to a belaying pin, actual lines will be secured to the sails THEN fed to the blocks and down to belaying pins. Stupid question: Do the leech lines and bunt lines go in front of the sail or behind it?

I gather the clew lines as they start at the lower corner of each sail will necessarily be outside or in front of the sail, but those other lines.....?

Working on the boom, gaff, and spanker sail. Last pic is of the mast hoops for the spanker. Just 20 gauge wire fashioned in a circle but I haven't figured out just yet how to secure them to the sail. This forum has lots of good leads though. The ties I added to the pre-sewn sails....the thread I used is exactly the same hue as the sail itself and I can barely make them out. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Should they be diminutive or stand out just a bit with a slightly different color thread? I'm still mulling that over.

View attachment 188626View attachment 188627View attachment 188628
Long after the conversation on furling of sails. . . here is a YouTube of the last large four mast square rigger on a voyage rounding Cape Horn. Skip the adverts, to watch the sail handling and furling in the b/w movie shots. Pretty amazing as the lower main sail, dry, weighed over a ton!
https://youtu.be/96cRjLkIKlE

Long after the conversation on furling of sails. . . here is a YouTube of the last large four mast square rigger on a voyage rounding Cape Horn. Skip the adverts, to watch the sail handling and furling in the b/w movie shots. Pretty amazing as the lower main sail, dry, weighed over a ton!
https://youtu.be/96cRjLkIKlE

Watched the whole thing. Real good shots of how the braces angle the yards and one shot of the yards almost parallel to the long axis of the ship, incredible! But I'll tell ya, I don't think I'd ever have the stones to climb out on one of those yards inching along on the footropes. I don't mind high places but, nope.

Watched the whole thing. Real good shots of how the braces angle the yards and one shot of the yards almost parallel to the long axis of the ship, incredible! But I'll tell ya, I don't think I'd ever have the stones to climb out on one of those yards inching along on the footropes. I don't mind high places but, nope.
I'm glad that you watched the voyage. Very amazing to have that ship at that date. Not hard to see how a flying block could kill a crewman. Most of them were much larger than a person's head and if double or triple could be around or over 100 lbs. Rich (PT-2)

Crossjack topmast finished with sail. Mounted it properly with halyard tie and truss. My sail kit did not include enough sails of the proper shape/size for this particular yard so I'm forced to show this sail furled up (I used a staysail cut down). I simply do not have any other sail making materials whatsoever. So, now do I show the other top most sails furled as well for consistency? To be honest in some respects it's easier to have them unfurled. Something to think on.

Tomorrow I'll properly rig the halyard, truss, clew lines, sheets, braces, and lifts. You can see all the pre-installed rigging hanging about like a jungle.

zdfxfg.jpg

Back