Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

Hi John!

I use this liquid glass.

SANY0813.JPG

SANY0814.JPG

The lamp is made of brass and burnished. Then the openings were filled with liquid glass with a brush. Today smooth rolled glass is used. In the past the window panes had such bubbles. The windows of this lamp all have a closed surface. Only sometimes it looks as if there are holes in the pane, depending on the angle of view.

SANY0815.JPG

Old glass panel in the dining room cupboard.

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
View attachment 22320
I tried blackening the larger cannon but the results were not too good as you can see from the pic, so I made up a small jig to hold the large cannon, these are 65mm long, so I could drill the holes for the trunions.
View attachment 22324

Just to share something I discover to age the cannons....

649D9F48-6F74-454A-ADCD-76F06062CB55.jpeg
try spraying this paint from about 40-50 cm distance. In very thin layers. Te result would be that the paint will land like a “dust”. And the finaL effect Would be something like this...ECBA3209-E8E2-4BD9-A82E-4F49CC73E436.jpeg

D780B49F-B4DE-4759-8259-37CC8BBE9E03.png
The dust will give you the impression that they were melt in “sand” mold as they were in real

Hi John!

I use this liquid glass.

View attachment 176286

View attachment 176287

The lamp is made of brass and burnished. Then the openings were filled with liquid glass with a brush. Today smooth rolled glass is used. In the past the window panes had such bubbles. The windows of this lamp all have a closed surface. Only sometimes it looks as if there are holes in the pane, depending on the angle of view.

View attachment 176299

With best regards
Thomas
Would be interesting to see if it stands the test of time and doesnt discolorizes. However I love the result, just perfect.

Hi John!

I use this liquid glass.

View attachment 176286

View attachment 176287

View attachment 176299

With best regards
Thomas

G'day Thomas, I have a jar of this that I use when building my tug boats, I didn't realise that it also was used for glazing, so i made a spare window frame a gave it a try,

619.jpg
The clear fix,

620.jpg
after one application,

621.jpg
another view, it looks different from different angles, i am going to experiment with it a little
bit to see if I can get it any better,

622.jpg
I was going to make my own mouldings, but I saw these brass ones at Cornwall Model boats, so I thought
I would give them a try,

623.jpg
and a few pics with the mouldings just held in place at the moment, they will of course be cut to fit to across the
ports etc,

624.jpg

625.jpg

626.jpg

Last edited:
627.jpg
I thought that for a bit of a change over Christmas I would do a bit more on my Royal William, as I have said
before I am not much good at carving so I will be adapting these white metal and resin figures to fit on the Stern,
I have quite a selection of them so I hope to come up with something that looks decent,

628.jpg
close up of one of the figures,

629.jpg
and a selection of cherubs and other figures that I have collected over the years, If I found something that I liked
I would make a mould of it and cast more,

630.jpg
An idea of how I would adapt them,

202.jpg
and with some of the scroll infils for the rails,

631.jpg
They are white metal so they are easy enough to cut and shape,

thank you for dropping in,

best regards John.

IMG20201222164632.jpg
Cooked the Christmas Ham today, we are celebrating our Christmas tomorrow as our youngest son works in Age Care
and he is rostered on through the Christmas period, so all the family are getting together for lunch at a local restaruant,
and then coming back to our house for a couple of hours,

IMG20201222151227.jpg
and a I made a berry Pavlova for dessert, maybe tomorrow or the next day,

Merry Christmas to all the Members of SOS and their Families,

best regards John,

Last edited:
632.jpg
I have decided that before attaching any decorative figures to the stern it would be best to finish off all the doors
windows etc, so i have started building the inner stern gallery bulkheads, this is the lower gallery one, got a lot of
cleaning up to be done,

633.jpg
and both the lower and upper bulkheads,

634.jpg
Next up I had to make the fluted mouldings that go by the sides of the doors and windows, the profiles on the
above plate were not large enough for what I wanted so I had to use one of my Artesania Latina plates,

635.jpg
The A/L plates do not have any timber support plates so I used the support plate from the Chinese set, I just laid
it over the top of the A/L plate and drilled four holes just like on the Chinese one, once I had the two wood
support plates bolted on everything was fine,

636.jpg
This is the result on two pieces of American Cherry Wood,

637.jpg
and just a mock up to show how they will be applied,

638.jpg
Just working out what had to go where and to make sure the spacing's were correct, as it was I had to cut the
plan and widen the width some more, also shows what I will be using for the top and bottom of the Fluted
mouldings,

639.jpg
all the parts now glued in place just have to give it all a final shaping

640.jpg
After the final shaping, I also had to cut a piece from either side of the end fluted pieces to get the Partition
to fit in place.

642.jpg
well it was time for a snack and we had the first meal served in the Captains quarters, a Meat pie,

643.jpg
so that's the bottom partition almost finished except for final adjustments when fitting in place, and the top one
has to have final shaping yet,most of these partitions as well as most of the exterior of the Stern area's will be
Gold Red and Blue,

2009-10-03 - USNA Museum - 081 - Royal William - 1st Rate 100-Gun Ship of 1719 (stern) - _DSC7...jpg
.This is the stern on the original model, I think mine is going to look a little bit different,;););),

2009-10-03 - USNA Museum - 081 - Royal William - 1st Rate 100-Gun Ship of 1719 (stern) - _DSC7...jpg
I was a little bit worried about having to trim the end Flutes, but when I enlarged the original photo there are no end
flutes on either upper or lower partitions, the small arch that leads to the quarter galleries just but up against the rear
partition,

Thank you for looking at my build,

best regards john.

View attachment 202250
Next up I had to make the fluted mouldings that go by the sides of the doors and windows, the profiles on the
above plate were not large enough for what I wanted so I had to use one of my Artesania Latina plates,

View attachment 202251
The A/L plates do not have any timber support plates so I used the support plate from the Chinese set, I just laid
it over the top of the A/L plate and drilled four holes just like on the Chinese one, once I had the two wood
support plates bolted on everything was fine,

View attachment 202252
This is the result on two pieces of American Cherry Wood,

View attachment 202253
and just a mock up to show how they will be applied,

It looks great, thanks for the explanation and illustration of the work process, I just got it

644.jpg
This is how the gallery bulkhead will look, and I have also remade the entrance to the side galleries,

645.jpg
this is all the stock prepared for making the windows for the partition,

646.jpg
One window made and just sitting in place, I'm thinking of making them a little bit thinner,

647.jpg
I have re-cut some of the wood , might still go a bit thinner,

Back