Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

545.jpg
So after temporarily sitting the seats of ease in place. I wasn't very happy with how they looked, they seem
to be a bit of a tight fit,

546.jpg
So it was another look at the photo's, ( I wish that I had a view looking straight down on to this area ) and it
looks like the gratings on this model are narrowed down to only one opening at the figure head end,

547.jpg
and approx three openings at the other end,

548.jpg
So it was out with the saw and I was only goiny to take one row off the gratings,

549.jpg
but ended up taking two rows off to try and match the Original model, one side still to be cut back,

551.jpg
both sides now have been cut back and the seats of ease again just sitting there, they seem to look a lot better
now, so next job is to glue them in place,

Last edited:
That was a nice repair job and a good call to address it in the first place. I remember using an old latrine when in the Army. The commodes were situated in such a way that five of them across looked at the five in front facing each other. Also, there were no dividing walls nor doors for privacy. But on the other hand you could tell who the actual veterans and newbies were. Newbies were shy about there business while veterans sat down and talked to there neighbors.

Raymond

My daughter is a navy officer. A part of her first education was a few months on the small Danish fullrigger / tall ship, Georg Stage. This ship does have proper toilets on the quarterdeck. However the toilet doors starts about 2 feet above the deck so a little harassment is unavoidable. One day after some "trouble" aboard the captain sent all the toilet doors to a painting company for refurbishment, just before departure on a 6 weeks journey

Last edited:
552.jpg
Now its time for the lower head rails, this is of course the bottom rail that I cut to shape and sanded, again I cut
the rail out of a piece of wood that was thick enough to get four rails from, a couple extra just in case,

553.jpg
cutting out the joints in the support pieces, first one is OK the other two still to be finished,

554.jpg
and test fitting the rail, it still has to have a moulding scaped on its top surface,

555.jpg
Preparing to fit the third rail up, I have to correct the small part of the moulding above the X, it might be OK as
this is where the gammoning ropes come and go through a slot that I have yet to cut, also I am looking for a figure
to go under the hooves of the horses, if I cannot find one I will put some scroll work in there,

556.jpg
and all three rails just sitting in place not yet glued, I'm wondering if I should taper
them a little bit more from the rear to the front, still some cleaning up to do,

557.jpg
another view,

558.jpg
and a close up,

559.jpg
and with the flash on, thank you for looking any comments welcome,

best regards john,

Well I havn't done much in the last couple of weeks, just had a spell where I didn't feel like doing much,
but I have got back into in the last couple of days, so here are the results,

560.jpg
after measuring and cutting the starboard side notches for the rails, I made three templates, to the top of each rail as
in the pic and then transferred the marks to the port side and cut them out also,

561.jpg
Then I cut to size and glued the rails in place, not too happy with them but they look alright at a distance with
your eyes closed, they still have to have some cleaning up done on them,

562.jpg
and then its time for the figures that go under the horses hooves, the King is riding over his enemies captured
and chained after battle, I found this group of figures in my stash box and decided to use them, they look like
a German style music group,

563.jpg
So after studying the figures I decide to use the one on the left for the starboard side, and cut him free and
shaped him to fit,

564.jpg
The lower side figure just sitting where he will go,

565.jpg
and a close up,

566.jpg
Then the upper figure again just sitting in place, thes still have to be refined and other pieces added like some
manacles and chains connecting them together,

567.jpg
and three pics of the port side, Iv'e got a bit more work to do on this side to fill and clean up the joints,

568.jpg

569.jpg

Hi dear John :)
You are indeed doing an amazing job and the creativity is evident from the work process and the beautiful results. It is a pleasure to follow your creative process

Love your creativity John, looks like this tiroler band was tailor made for your ship. Just fantastic. :)
Hopefully Uwe is not blaiming you for cutting some Austrians into pieces. :cool:

Thank you for the very nice comments Maarten, I just wish that I could carve as good as you, maybe next time around, Iv'e got to catch up on you RC build among a lot of others,

Hi dear John :)
You are indeed doing an amazing job and the creativity is evident from the work process and the beautiful results. It is a pleasure to follow your creative process

Thank you shota70, fot your nice comments as well and also all the likes, they are much appreciated,

best regards John,

570.jpg
I have some brass pressed lions heads so i decided to use two of them for the fore
sheet tack rope to go through,

571.jpg
shows where they will be positioned in the rails,

573.jpg
and after a coat of clear varnish, nearly all these head rails will end up being painted gold, the varnish is just a primer,

574.jpg
and a close up,

575.jpg
a couple of views of the gratings after a couple of coats of clear varnish,

576.jpg

577.jpg
while I was waiting for the varnish to dry I decided to start on the transom end, I glued three beams across the ledges,
in preparation for the planking that will define where and how the stern gallery balconies will be planked,

578.jpg
this pic shows me building out the horizontal frame work to bring it flush with the external planking,

579.jpg
just got to wait for the glue to dry and clean everything up,

580.jpg
Ive now cut away the lower uprights and sanded all the outer face of the stern,

581.jpg
and the upper also cut away,

202.jpg
so for decorations I use whatever comes to hand, or sometimes out of my wife's trinket box, so up above we have
some ladies cast in pewter that i picked up at a bargain store, and also some metal oval decorations that came off
some ladies jewelry, both of these can be adapted with a little cutting and filling,

204.jpg
this is one of the ladies after being trimmed down a little,

205.jpg
and a close up of the oval parts,

206.jpg
and these are some of the many Cherubs that I cast in resin,

583.jpg
I also came across some lovely Tissue box holders years ago, these are great as they are actually see through,

584.jpg
and a close up, I'm not sure if I will use these or the metal oval ones,

once again thank you for looking,

best regards john.

Last edited:
585.jpg
A view along the port side in the sun light,

586.jpg
I've laid the deck for the cabin that has the lowest balcony, and also built the bulkhead for the front of the cabin,
I will panel this bulkhead just in case you can see it through the balcony doors,

587.jpg
making a template for the balcony doors,

Back