Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

588.jpg
However before starting the bulkheads I though that i would finish making all the window frames, a couple of years
ago i had made a sled for my Proxxon saw, its just a sheet of plastic with two timber end pieces and a couple of
pieces of plastic glued to the underside to enable it to slide in the grooves on the saw table,

589.jpg
this pic shows the grooves that the sled is sliding in,

590.jpg
this sled comes in handy not only for cutting timber square, I also cut my grating strips on it, but this time I am
cutting the window frames on it,
the lower piece of whiter wood is CA glued to the table at the desired angle to match the angle of the window
frames and the piece above it has just been cut,

A strip of wood has also been CA glued to the table, the gap between the strip of wood and the saw blade has to
be the same as the gap between the window frames, you will see what I mean in the next few pics,

591.jpg
so here I am cutting the first slot,

592.jpg
after cutting the first slot it then goes over the strip of wood which is just a nice fit for the slot, then the next slot is cut,

593.jpg
and you just keep going til the end of the piece of wood, these pieces are only test strips,

594.jpg
This is an actual piece that I have finished and now I will cut into strips to make the frames,

595.jpg
I then glued another piece of timber above the lower, on this piece I will cut the notches for the frames on the
other side of the ship,

596.jpg
Just test cutting to make sure all is well,

597.jpg
show the notches cut both ways, as I said this is just a test strip,

598.jpg
and a couple of views of the underneath of the sled, any questions just ask,

599.jpg

600.jpg

601.jpg
strips cut for the frames of each side of the galleries and in the middle smaller strips cut for going across the frames,

602.jpg
close up, the wood is Huon Pine,

603.jpg
the first frame being test fitted,

604.jpg
and after some sanding finally in place but not glued yet, and a piece of cardboard cut to size for the next frame,

605.jpg
second frame in, and on and on,

606.jpg
close up,

612.jpg
This is what a complete frame looks like before i sand it down, I use a small sanding disc on my
mini drill as in the right of the pic,

613.jpg
First window on the port side,

614.jpg
all the lower windows on the port side,

615.jpg
the frist square window on the transom,

616.jpg
Just one more to make and that is all the outer windows made, I just realised that I have more to make up top,

617.jpg
Thats the lot now I have to make the ones for the inside on the balconies,

618.jpg
None of the frames are glued in yet, I got to make my mind up whether to glaze them or leave them like
they are, any idea's welcome, thanks for looking,

best regards john.

Last edited:
I have just bought some some of this for glazing the windows,

View attachment 176152
so hopefully it works well,
thank you for the suggestions,

best regards john,

I have never worked with it but have seen some videos on youtube about these kind of liquid glass products. Would be interesting to see.

Back