Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

1156.jpg
For a bit of a change I decided to attempt the construction of the Belfry, I turned some wood down to the required Dia,

1157.jpg
then I drilled a 10mm hole through it,

1158.jpg
I set up the steady rest and bored the inside to the correct dia,

1159.jpg
after parting off the tube, I will have to slice into parts to complete the construction,

thank you for visiting,

best regards John,

1161.jpg
The belfry on the varnished model has a sort of flattened top, where as the belfry on the painted model has a rounded top,

1162.jpg
the rounded top,

1163.jpg
so I cut the tube into two parts, a spare just in case,

1164.jpg
added the sides and the base,

1165.jpg
and a little bit of moulding, still a lot of decoration to go on yet,

1166.jpg
front view,

1167.jpg
and approx where the belfry will sit when finished,

Best regards john,

On the painted Belfry they was also overlays on the actual top and also the sides

1168.jpg
I soaked two pieces of pear wood in some boiling water for 5 minutes,

1169.jpg
then I used the spare top to clamp them in place whilst they dried,

1170.jpg
another view,

1171.jpg
While waiting for the top strips to dry I added the overlay strips to the sides of the belfry,

1172.jpg
after adding the top strips, and compared to a photo of the original model,

1173.jpg
sitting where it will go, just have to add a base and the internal parts, the bell and the circular ringer handle,

best regards John,

Hi John,
In your experience does the boiling water (as opposed to merely hot, or even room temperature) assist with the bending? I am presently trying to bend much larger stock (2mm x 7mm) with mixed results...
Thank you.
I used boilling water for difficult bending. I soak the wood always for a few hour, but when bending in a sharp curve I use boilling water as an extra.

Hi John,
In your experience does the boiling water (as opposed to merely hot, or even room temperature) assist with the bending? I am presently trying to bend much larger stock (2mm x 7mm) with mixed results...
Thank you.
I used boilling water for difficult bending. I soak the wood always for a few hour, but when bending in a sharp curve I use boilling water as an extra.
G'day guys, these are only small pieces in a cup with boiled water only need a few minutes, but even with thicker pieces the boiling water helps a lot and of course extra time,
best regards john,

1174.jpg
I needed a small ring for the hand part of the ringer and I used a small balance wheel out of an old clock and I CA glued a brass bar across it, also shows the axle part for holding the bell,

1175.jpg
I already had a nice bell so this is all these parts glued together,

1176.jpg
another view,

1177.jpg
and a view from the front, in hind sight I could have used a larger ring,

1178.jpg
couple of different views,

1179.jpg

1180.jpg
and a close up one with my fingers and thumbs just to show the size,

once again thanks for dropping in,

best regards John.

1188.jpg
The fo'c'sle rails were next on the list, I clamped the three pieces of wood together then drilled 4mm holes at the required spacing after I had drilled the first hole I inserted a 4mm dowell to keep the correct spacing,

1189.jpg
then I filed out the holes to take the wood uprights these uprights were just over 4mm square, I left a couple of 4mm dowells in place while I squared the first holes then added some pieces of square uprights while I finished the rest of the square holes,

1190.jpg
The rails after assembly,

1191.jpg
and a couple of pics where they will sit on the model,

1192.jpg
another view,

1193.jpg
after painting,

1194.jpg
and where they will sit after gluing, they look a bit flat across but after they are glued down there will be a slight curvature to them,

You've all been so good with following my build, I feel guilty for not posting on your logs lately, actually for some time now, my Admiral has been having a tough time of it and has been in and out of hospital approx eight times in the last year, but I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and I will get around to posting on your logs, i thank and appreciate all of your surport, all the comments and the likes,

best regards John.

View attachment 396472
The fo'c'sle rails were next on the list, I clamped the three pieces of wood together then drilled 4mm holes at the required spacing after I had drilled the first hole I inserted a 4mm dowell to keep the correct spacing,

View attachment 396473
then I filed out the holes to take the wood uprights these uprights were just over 4mm square, I left a couple of 4mm dowells in place while I squared the first holes then added some pieces of square uprights while I finished the rest of the square holes,

View attachment 396474
The rails after assembly,

View attachment 396475
and a couple of pics where they will sit on the model,

View attachment 396476
another view,

View attachment 396477
after painting,

View attachment 396478
and where they will sit after gluing, they look a bit flat across but after they are glued down there will be a slight curvature to them,

You've all been so good with following my build, I feel guilty for not posting on your logs lately, actually for some time now, my Admiral has been having a tough time of it and has been in and out of hospital approx eight times in the last year, but I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and I will get around to posting on your logs, i thank and appreciate all of your surport, all the comments and the likes,

best regards John.

Hi John,
As usual great work.

I hope I am not alone in saying this but please don't feel guilty, I and I am sure others have had similar experiences with their Admirals being ill, these sort of things re-focus our attention and of coarse family comes first.
It is great that you have a hobby like the one you have to help take your attention away from other things even if it is only for an hour or two.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Back