Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

232.jpg
Marking the shape

233.jpg
Testing for fit after cutting out,

234.jpg
Because the wales follows the tumble of the bow the inside of the rails need to be angled so that they sit square to
the wale, if you know what i mean,
235.jpg
marking another rail off the previous one,

236.jpg
I clamped both Cheek rails together and finish sanded both at once,

237.jpg
How they will sit in place, but a bit more evenly,

238.jpg
I tried one of the starboard rails on the port side and they fit OK, so everything must be somewhat symmetrical,

239.jpg
The first port cheek rail, testing for fit, I don't think I am going to have any problems, but its nice to be sure,

240.jpg
and all four together,

241.jpg
another view, they still have to be finish sanded yet,

242.jpg
and a pic of one of the models of the RW which shows the gammoning ropes going through the head rails,

Hello John
I do wish you and your family a Verry Merry Christmas band an Even Better and Happier New Year to come from our house to yours.
Just catching up on your great build. You ner fail to amaze me with your ability to get such great results from your locker and make it all fit together so very nicely. Got a question and that is how will you fasten or glue all of these little treasures to your ship? ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello John
I do wish you and your family a Verry Merry Christmas band an Even Better and Happier New Year to come from our house to yours.
Just catching up on your great build. You ner fail to amaze me with your ability to get such great results from your locker and make it all fit together so very nicely. Got a question and that is how will you fasten or glue all of these little treasures to your ship? ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Good day Lawrence, thank you for the Christmas Wishes, we in return wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year.

I will probably use some small trunnels and CA super glue to secure the Cheecks and rails in place,

best regards John.

Hello John,
I have had the great fortune of stumbling on your build log and I must say, "WOW". First off, at 55" she will be a beast. And secondly, I am just blown away at the ingenuity of using the scroll work from budget store picture frames. I would have never thought it possible, or should I say, I would have never even thought about it. Thanks so much for opening my eyes and starting to get a glimpse of the proverbial, "Think/look outside the box". I hope to be able to collect more information from your build log.
Raymond

G'day John
Pure magic!
Another example of a perfect pictorial instructional log, with brilliant craftsmanship to boot.
Bye the way, I don't think Maureen would not be too happy with you, knowing that you are going through her old jewelry etc..Speechless You might be in the Poopwith her, if you keep this up.
HavaMerryChristmas mate.

243.jpg
This is looking down on the ships head, just working out how to go about making the head rails etc,

245.jpg
But for now I am making the reinforcing plates for the Hawses,

246.jpg
this is a pic of it on the actual model itself,

244.jpg
it is shown as one solid piece so i decided to cut as one piece with a curve to fit the hull, I made the first cut and
then sanded the face of the cut smooth because it is a fragile piece, before making the second cut to release it
from the block of wood,
247.jpg
Checking for fit,

248.jpg
after trimming to fit the stem and the curve on the back edge,

249.jpg
I had to sand back to the bare wood for gluing,

250.jpg
The piece clamped in place, I will leave it for a few hours before removing the clamps, I will drill through from the
inside to open up the hawse holes,

251.jpg
Head on view, port side clamped and the starboard sanded back,

253.jpg
After gluing the starboard side reinforcing plate, the next job was to put a moulding on the front edges of the
cheek rails / supports, on the pic above on the left is the shape I cut into the piece of stainless steel, nothing to fancy,

254.jpg
The four cheek rail / supports with the moulding cut in,

255.jpg
a close up of two of them,

256.jpg
Double checking for final time,

257.jpg
close up,

258.jpg
after one coat of varnish and glued in position,

259.jpg
Next up i wanted to make an extension of the cheeks that would run up in front of the figure head, the actual
RW didn't have them, but seeing as I am making my own decorations I thought I would make them, again I cut
the shape needed out of a piece of wood thick enough to get two rails plus two spare if I need them,

260.jpg
the piece being offered up to measure for size,

261.jpg
and the two starboard cheeks glued in place and showing where the extension moulding will go,

261.jpg
Overlaying the plan to make sure all is well, its a little bit out on the upper rail, but this is where the gammoning
ropes will come through and over the top of the moulding so it should be ok, the plan shows a cleat between
the first and second upright rails, I've checked and I cannot find it on any of the RW models, if anyone knows
anything about it please let me know,

262.jpg
and finally showing how my figure head will sit on the bow, it will need a bit of tweaking etc, but hopefully will be
ok

264.jpg
Just to check every thing was OK, I printed and cut out part of the plan looking down on the head rails, and
everything looks OK, but I suspect that the main head rails should be further apart as on the original models
that what they show, I will post a pic of one of the original models showing this area,

largeww (2).jpg
This pic shows a strip of grating either side and also more gratings on a lower level,

265.jpg
I was thinking on how to take the shape of the top rail off of the drawings, when I noticed one of the photo's
I had printed off looked exactly what I needed, so I enlarged the photo with the printer till it was what I needed
and it worked out quite pleasing, this is the pic clamped over the model exactly where it will go, I was happy with
it so I used the top of the rail to mark the shape on a piece of wood thick enough to cut four rails from, I only
needed two but a couple extra in case something went wrong,

266.jpg
The block after cutting out the shape, I cut the top piece first, and then I cut the rail from the pic and used the
bottom line of the rail to mark the lower edge of the rail, any questions just ask,

267.jpg
the top part moved away ,

268.jpg
and now also the bottom part, I then sanded the middle part till I was happy with the shape, I then cut two strips,
off and finish sanded them with fine paper,

269.jpg
The starboard strip held loosely in placeshowing approx where it will sit,

270.jpg
and another shot showing it sitting a little bit lower than the one above, I will decide later on which position I will
use, you can also see that I have started cutting the moulding into the rail, this has yet to be finalised,

271.jpg
another view,

272.jpg
and this just shows the rail sitting on the photo that was used as a template, the cherubs are sitting behind
the rail, but when it is installed the rail will go behind the two cherubs,

273.jpg
This is the fill in piece for the top of the stem, this is not yet glued, the idea is to assemble both sides of the
figure head to it then slide it into place when the time comes, thank you for looking in on my build,

best regards John,

Hello John,
Kudos to you Sir. The level of detail that you're incorporating into your build is amazing. I thought everything was looking good previously until you went to the next level with the new rail. The fact that you will use that filler piece of the stem on the actual figure head will allow you to make any last minute tweaks is a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us.
Raymond

274.jpg
Well that's both the main head rails cut out and had the mouldings cut in to them, nothing too fancy,

275.jpg
another view

276.jpg
Before I can attach the head rails I need to install the beak head bulkhead, this shows the beam that the
bulkhead sits on glued and dowelled in position,

277.jpg
another view from head on,

278.jpg
I photo copied and cut out the part of the plan for the bulkhead and then held it in place just to check all will be OK,
the planking of the forecastle deck had to come flush with the top of the lowest moulding which is the moulding
just above the gun ports,

279.jpg
So this is the beam installed 2mm below where the moulding will come to,

280.jpg
For the little spindles that go across the bulkhead, I have approx 200 of these little walnut spindles, with a bit of
work I think they will be OK,
once again thank you for all your comments and likes,

best regards John.

Last edited:
Back