Revell USS Constitution 1:96 build log

Ships change their appearance throughout their lifespan, especially after major refits intended to preserve them, update them, and enhance them. It's personal preference what phase of the ship you choose to build. For accuracy, what is important is that you select a date of the version of the ship you are building, and to put in the research to learn as much as you can about the features, modification, and appearance of the ship at the time of your choice. What can show the viewer of your model that you did that research is a statement on the nameplate below you model that says something to the effect of "USS Constitution as she appeared in 1812". Others who know the history of ships will recognize and respect that.

If you built USS Constitution as she was in 1925, your model would look like this. Less impressive than at other times.
1669266860888.png

Of you could have built the Conny as it was in 1930 and save yourself all the rigging! :D
1669267047531.png

Last edited:
Need input. On the upper gun deck my instructions call for gunales (sp)?) To be painted white, but pictures of the USS Constitutions show that they are green. Should I go with white or green.
I have been out of action for a couple of years and just getting back to my models. As you are probably aware I am doing a plastic and a wood of the Constitution.
I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving
Can't answer specifically, however for info, gunwhales are pronounced "Gunnuls", hope this helps.

Hey, guys. Newbie here. I'm building the same kit and I have a quick question. The 6 lines (large diameter thread) that come through the hull at the gun deck level and are tied under the hull during step #6: What are they used for? I can't find any reference later on where they attach to something.
Thanks in advance!
these are for sheet / tack lines on fore and mainsails. they come through sheave holes from gun deck and tie to blocks on lower sails then return to eyebolts on hull. you will find these lines much later in the rigging instructions.

If you are talking about the inner wall that has the cannon port holes - I believe that is called the Bulwarks and if so, those have been a green (but of course, the correct shade).

As far as the Sails being rolled up (Furled) you can use very light off-white or very light tan Gift Wrapping Tissue paper. As you can roll this up dry and somewhat thick since this is a large-scale ship.
Once you have the sails mounted on the Yard, then put a little water on the tissue which will allow you to shape them.

This is an example of Captain Kidd using Gift Wrapping Tissue paper

1669345823288.png

Interesting that I cannot correctly name the gunwales, but it has been 60 years since I was on my ship.
Thanks everyone for your help to an old man..

Does anyone have extra plastic rigging blocks for the Revell 1/96 USS Constitution? I destroyed a bunch of mine trying to get them off the molding spruce. I need a lot A. Several AA B BB C CC
Please give me a price.
THANKS
P.O. Box 354
Weir, TX. 78674
Weir in Texas would I ship? "Gotcha". Does a PO Box take packages? Need anything else? Fragile parts like stanchions, deadeyes, Etc. Also, what are you doing with all these blocks unless you are rigging masts and yards. So, think about it and let me know. I will dig for parts after I here back. The price would be a nice little smoked brisket when I get back to Texas. No big deal. Born there. San Angelo, 1958. Happy modeling.

Does anyone have extra plastic rigging blocks for the Revell 1/96 USS Constitution? I destroyed a bunch of mine trying to get them off the molding spruce. I need a lot A. Several AA B BB C CC
Please give me a price.
THANKS
P.O. Box 354
Weir, TX. 78674

Hey, guys. Newbie here. I'm building the same kit and I have a quick question. The 6 lines (large diameter thread) that come through the hull at the gun deck level and are tied under the hull during step #6: What are they used for? I can't find any reference later on where they attach to something.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
didn't i already answer this already? Those are fore and mainsail sheet / tack lines coming through sheave holes to blocks on sails and returning to eyebolts on hull' they are way down the rigging section if you are using sails. happy modeling.

I decided to go back over the decks and exterior hull with a thin coat of the appropriate color of testor's enamel. I wish who ever started this had used acrylic. I have noticed the enamel is soft and easily scratched. Should I over spray the entire ship with a matte sealer?
didn't i already answer this already? Those are fore and mainsail sheet / tack lines coming through sheave holes to blocks on sails and returning to eyebolts on hull' they are way down the rigging section if you are using sails. happy modeling.

I decided to go back over the decks and exterior hull with a thin coat of the appropriate color of testor's enamel. I wish who ever started this had used acrylic. I have noticed the enamel is soft and easily scratched. Should I over spray the entire ship with a matte sealer?
In my opinion I would not spray. I think you would end up with a mess. By the way, who started this model? So, John from Weir, Texas, correct? I replied once to your request for blocks for your 1:96 scale USS Constitution. I have plenty of Plastic blocks and other parts. Do you still need them? Let me know.

Thank you.
Yes, I still need blocks. Had some health problems so I am just now able to work on it again. When I bought the kit off eBay someone had already started painting it on enamel. My mailing address is Post Office Box 354
Weir, Texas. 78674
512-993-7954

Thank you.
Yes, I still need blocks. Had some health problems so I am just now able to work on it again. When I bought the kit off eBay someone had already started painting it on enamel. My mailing address is Post Office Box 354
Weir, Texas. 78674
512-993-7954

What is your last name, or do I just send them to JohnB163? Any other parts needed because if I am shipping stuff, might as well include other parts.

It appears I am missing two canon half. Part 69
I have 20 canons but need 22. Does anybody have two extra canons.

Here Is a picture
I can't tell if is a female or male half I need. I could swear I put 22 together yesterday as a check. I know I am old.

20221204_150944_Burst01.jpg

Back