Roter Löwe 1597 by Ondras71 - scala 1/60

A lot of small, but important work to make such a model to a special model
Very accurate ship modeling - great result -> BRAVO

Great work Ondras! I can see it must have taken quite some planning to have your grate combings follow the edge of each lateral plank as their width diminished moving towards the poop deck. Just so.

In addition to that, the edges of the grate combings on all sides are very clean, with no gaps. Is there any way you can share with us how you achieved such tight tolerances between them. This is an area I think many modelers struggle with. It is also what we see when viewing the work of very proficient modelers.

Thank yo for sharing your great work with us.

Ken.

Thank you all very much for the feedback, I am very happy..o_OThumbsup
Great work Ondras! I can see it must have taken quite some planning to have your grate combings follow the edge of each lateral plank as their width diminished moving towards the poop deck. Just so.

In addition to that, the edges of the grate combings on all sides are very clean, with no gaps. Is there any way you can share with us how you achieved such tight tolerances between them. This is an area I think many modelers struggle with. It is also what we see when viewing the work of very proficient modelers.

Thank yo for sharing your great work with us.

Ken.
Answer for Ken. I try to measure well and avoid inaccuracies, everything can be seen on the model. I install the deck boards, draw on the joints and do most of the points on the table.

spoje prken.JPG

poslední hákované lišty (1).JPG

The gretings must be precise, I will grind them roughly. I then tape them side by side and sand together to get the right angles..

lepení gratings hlavní paluby (1).JPG

Stacked at right angles and glued..

lepení gratings hlavní paluby (2).JPG

lepení gratings hlavní paluby (3).JPG

Then I also sand the frames stuck on the tape..

desky binding strake  (2).JPG

And I also use a lamp with a magnifying glass for precise work, every mistake can be seen there..:cool:

Stunningly beautiful work, Ondras. I love the glass of your window. Can you tell us what it is made of and how you went about it?

Piękna praca można się od Ciebie wiele nauczyć.
Pozdrawiam Mirek
Stunningly beautiful work, Ondras. I love the glass of your window. Can you tell us what it is made of and how you went about it?
Simply gorgeous Ondras ! Thumbsup :D Okay
Thank you very much friends!! :)
For Heinrich - Lattice glass created by scraping and blackening. Framed in the wall..

škrábání mříží oken.JPG

Completed poop deck..

kolíky na poslední palubu (1).JPG

kolíky na poslední palubu (2).JPG
kolíky na poslední palubu (3).JPG

hotová poslední paluba (2).JPG

Created a bench above the mirror..

lavice nad zrcadlem (3).JPG

lavice nad zrcadlem (1).JPG

lavice nad zrcadlem (2).JPG

Also the flagpole and the inner railing..Explosion

For Heinrich - Lattice glass created by scraping and blackening. Framed in the wall..

View attachment 322969

Completed poop deck..

View attachment 322963

View attachment 322964
View attachment 322965

View attachment 322962

View attachment 322968

View attachment 322966

View attachment 322967

Dear Ondras,
Very interesting method, what drill are you using?

Hi Ondras, would you please tell me what wood you are using for your deck planking and the treenails for those planks. I'm attempting to find a realistic contrast and have been very impressed with yours.
Thank you.
Ken

View attachment 322969

Completed poop deck..

View attachment 322963

View attachment 322964
View attachment 322965

View attachment 322962

View attachment 322968

View attachment 322966

View attachment 322967

Beautiful looking ship great job.
It's how I imagined my ship build would look but alas I haven't quite made the grade to your standard.

Thank you, Ondras. She is looking superb!
Dear Ondras,
Very interesting method, what drill are you using?
Really beautiful. Clean and colorful with natural tone. I love the path you taked for nailing the deck.
Beautiful looking ship great job.
It's how I imagined my ship build would look but alas I haven't quite made the grade to your standard.
Hi Ondras, would you please tell me what wood you are using for your deck planking and the treenails for those planks. I'm attempting to find a realistic contrast and have been very impressed with yours.
Thank you.
Ken
I am very surprised by so many responses, thank you very much.o_O

For Ken. From the beginning I use light and dark cherry for the body, I create a combination from this. Another wood is maple for the deck. This is what Czech modelers use. Maple best mimics pine decks polished with frequent maintenance. In addition, maple has a constant color, it does not darken in sunlight like other wood. I am very satisfied with it. I do the deck pegs with a little contrast, the actual pegs were the same wood so invisible to scale. If the dream is a lot of work, it must be visible.
I found out that it is really possible to "paint" with wood, I want to build the next model only with different shades of wood.
Fingers crossed for your next build, it's a spectacular project.ThumbsupExplosion

I am very surprised by so many responses, thank you very much.o_O

For Ken. From the beginning I use light and dark cherry for the body, I create a combination from this. Another wood is maple for the deck. This is what Czech modelers use. Maple best mimics pine decks polished with frequent maintenance. In addition, maple has a constant color, it does not darken in sunlight like other wood. I am very satisfied with it. I do the deck pegs with a little contrast, the actual pegs were the same wood so invisible to scale. If the dream is a lot of work, it must be visible.
I found out that it is really possible to "paint" with wood, I want to build the next model only with different shades of wood.
Fingers crossed for your next build, it's a spectacular project.ThumbsupExplosion
Hi Ondras, thank you for your fast reply to my query. May I have a little more clarification please. You state, "I do the deck pegs with a little contrast, the actual pegs were the same wood so invisible to scale." Are you saying the pegs/treenails on your deck are the same wood (Maple) as the planks? If I understand this correctly, how do they look somewhat darker?

Please let me know if my understanding of your explanation is not correct.

I could stare at your ship for days and not get tired.

Thanks,
Ken

On real ships, the deck and stud plugs are made of the same wood. This is seen on the Victory or the Trincomalee frigate. Here is a photo of the plank joints that I used on another forum.

hms Trincomalee paluba.jpg

Artistic finishing is used on the model, visible pins increase the quality of the detail..

Yes Ondras, I understand. I was asking you if your Roter Lowe treenails were made of Maple, the same Maple wood you use for your deck planks. The reason I ask is you can see the treenails are darker than the planks. Not greatly darker but a bit. So I'm trying to understand why they look darker if they are the same wood? Did you treat them?

The peg/treenails look much darker than the planks. This is what I am trying to understand. They look closer to the Pear wood you use in color than the Maple used for your deck planks.

lavice nad zrcadlem (3).JPG

Thank you.

Last edited:
Yes Ondras, I understand. I was asking you if your Roter Lowe treenails were made of Maple, the same Maple wood you use for your deck planks. The reason I ask is you can see the treenails are darker than the planks. Not greatly darker but a bit. So I'm trying to understand why they look darker if they are the same wood? Did you treat them?

Thank you.
The pegs on the light cherry are dark cherry, the pegs on the maple deck are light cherry. If I pin a dark cherry, I darken the pins so that they are always visible..Thumbsup

Back