Roter Löwe 1597 by Ondras71 - scala 1/60

hotové svorníky na bocích (4).JPG
@Ondras71 , absolutely beautiful!
It looks like you are using cutters to trim the nail heads... Could you share how you get that lovely rounded look to the nail heads, especially if you are clipping them close to flush?

Very good result with the "nails" - accurate as usual - very good work

This is absolutely magnificent and the more work that gets done, the "cleaner" the ship looks. This is the true sign of an artist - to add more things without making it look cluttered. However - and now I am just thinking aloud without any reflection on Ondras's superb work - are we not missing the point when we (myself included) strive to achieve a level of perfection that the real ships never had. In the case of real-life Dutch ship construction, it was very much a hotchpot of things thrown together - a case of build with what you have ... Just wondering ...

Again Ondras - your work is that of a master!

You are right Heinrich, that the placement of metal clinks and wooden nails was not always accurate, it can be seen on the Vasa model from the museum ..
svorníky Vasa...jpg

Of course, each model is built to a certain perfection to be good to the eye, as well as replicas of ships today, such as Duyfken..

Duyfken replica.jpg

@Ondras71 , absolutely beautiful!
It looks like you are using cutters to trim the nail heads... Could you share how you get that lovely rounded look to the nail heads, especially if you are clipping them close to flush?
As metal nails I wanted to use Amati nails with a 1 mm head. But the head is too low. I created nails from larger ones on a lathe
nails to approach the klinkbout from the reconstruction of 7 Provincien ..

hreby holand.jpg

svorníky (9).JPG

svorníky úprava.JPG

svorníky úprava čelo.JPG

test svorníků (3).JPG

Hard work and waste about 20 percent ..

380 ks pins.JPG

You are right Heinrich, that the placement of metal clinks and wooden nails was not always accurate, it can be seen on the Vasa model from the museum ..
View attachment 177932

and the model of the Vasa is much more accurate than the real Vasa !!!!

Many thanks for showing your treatment on the nails / bolts - very good result and the additional work was absolutely worth to do it !!!

Machined vertical beams glued to the supporting part ..

zužování bočních trámů (2).JPG

frézování hrany.JPG

The front pillars, where the head will be carved, gave the most work..

frézování trámů s hlavami.JPG

zužování bočních trámů (1).JPG

I also have beams ready for the first carving test..

trámky s hlavou + test.JPG

As a basis for the head, I used a drawing from Derfflinger's plan, RL is unusable..

hlavy R.Lowe - Derfflinger.JPG

Test whether pattex adhesive sticks to the waxed surface - OK!

lepení na vosk.JPG

Simple beams glued. Pins and wax are waiting..

hotové svislé trámy (1).JPG

hotové svislé trámy (2).JPG

Thank you very much oldflyer and Heinrich :)

Due to the need for dyeing and the need to create all the parts that will be dyed, I started making Knee of the head. I studied the construction of Knee of the head, it is nicely covered in the Czech thread by Doris Obručová for its construction Sovereign of the Seas ..
https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=43575&p=882705&hilit=klounová+paluba#p882705

A study of Dutch ships, I found that the grate of the deck drawn from the folded slats is from a later time, historically more faithful is the grate of longitudinal planks, as in the plan of the Pinas Vitsen by Ab Hoving..
kloun Vitsen.png

Roter Lowe kloun.jpg

Production of Knee of the head..

zúžení klounu (2).JPG

výztužné koleno (3).JPG

trámy klounu (1).JPG

trámy klounu (3).JPG

trámy klounu (2).JPG

Delivered paints and accessories to the airbrush.. Explosion

barvy na airbrush...JPG

Hallo Ondras,
I want to visit you once, to see the real model - you are working every time so accurate.....unbelievable - there is no micrometer joint visible!!

Dear Ondras. I know that this will turn out beautifully - but at the same time, I also really liked the natural wood!

Back