Roter Löwe 1597 by Ondras71 - scala 1/60

Thank you all. :)
I did not find a 1 mm saw blade at Proxxon. I got a saw blade from a friend, probably in the former DDR .. Its center is 16 mm, filled with ring 10/16. I was also afraid of this work, but everything can be learned. It is important to keep the saying, measure three times, cut once..ROTF;)
I wish I could stick to that saying instead of don't measure at all, cut hundred times. :)

I wish I could stick to that saying instead of don't measure at all, cut hundred times. :)
Impressively clean and precise work
Thank you Gennaro and eugen.t. Your words are valuable to me.Okay

I created frames gratings for the main deck..

lepení gratings hlavní paluby (1).JPG

lepení gratings hlavní paluby (2).JPG

lepení gratings hlavní paluby (3).JPG

gratingy hl. paluby.JPG

I'm starting to lay the deck. There are thicker "binding strake" boards around the gratings. I want to make these from wood contrasting with the deck. Here comes my first question for Ab Hoving, who offered me his advice: May I use the layout of strake boards on the main deck according to his reconstruction of the "WITSEN" pinase? The boards in question are the ones on the sides of the gratings and also the boards closer to the center of the deck around the masts and equipment.

studium prken binding strake (4).JPG

Laying the planks of the main deck I will do according to the replica Duyfken ..

main deck. (3).jpg

main deck. (1).jpg

main deck. (4).jpg

Dear Ondras. The gratings look beautiful. If it helps, the Batavia has these thicker binding strakes on its deck as well - so has the Kolderstok model. They are just not of a contrasting wood but of the same wood as the rest of the deck. The other difference on the Batavia is that the binding strakes on either side of the grating run the full length of the deck.

Right on spot Ondras. The binding strakes have a constructional function: they support the ribs between the beams, together with the waterways.
Nice gratings! In Holland ribs with laths nailed onto them were used for gratings. Yours are a luxurious variant.
Was the Red Lion a warship or a merchant?

Heinrich:
If wide gratings were used, the binding strakes were too wide for the other hatches in the deck. That’s why in some ships several binding strakes were used.
Remember: replicas are no historical sources. They are modern interpretations, no matter how well they were documented.

Right on spot Ondras. The binding strakes have a constructional function: they support the ribs between the beams, together with the waterways.
Nice gratings! In Holland ribs with laths nailed onto them were used for gratings. Yours are a luxurious variant.
Was the Red Lion a warship or a merchant?

Thank you so much Abe for the quick response. As I read, Roter Lowe was to be a guard ship in port. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roter_Löwe_(Schiff,_1597)

Dear Ondras. The gratings look beautiful. If it helps, the Batavia has these thicker binding strakes on its deck as well - so has the Kolderstok model. They are just not of a contrasting wood but of the same wood as the rest of the deck. The other difference on the Batavia is that the binding strakes on either side of the grating run the full length of the deck.
Hello Heinrich. The binding strakes were made of hardwood, the other deck of soft..

binding strakes (1).jpg

Here the different shade of the boards is clear ..

binding strakes (2).jpg

In that case your gratings should not protrude above the deck. That is to accommodate the guns. In merchants the gratings were laid into the coamings of the hatch.

Yes. The deck is as straight as a warship. Thank you Okay

Somehow I have the idea that you know more than you suggest :)

If this sentence is directed at me Abe, thank you, but I still find new things in books and forums.. o_O :eek: Coffee-Cup

The sentence certainly applies to as well, but was directed to Heinrich.

By the way: not that it is of any importance, but in warships both the deck planks and the binding strakes and waterways were made of oak because of the ordnance on them. In merchants the planks were made of fir. That is: most of the time. We see strange things if we investigate shipwrecks. There were no strickt laws in shipbuilding, but there were habits. Most of the time the rules of thumb were used as a starting point, but the end decisions were always made by the shipbuilder and many times he found reasons to deviate.
But don’t let that disturb you in your building process. You are just building a model, not a real ship.:)

Thank you Ondras. On the photograph you can clearly the see the different types of wood - so I will change the two binding strakes on my deck accordingly. This is what I meant by a steep learning curve!

Very good work on the deck planking. Interesting to see, that you are making the butt joints in the same way like @KUDIN - I have to give this method also a try !!!!
Very clean and accurate - this deck is getting a beauty

Back