Royal Caroline 1:50 YuanQing/ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo Reggie alias @WarrLight
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
are you still working on the Royal Caroline? Maybe you show us an update of the progress
Hello Reggie Happy Birthday, do hope that you got the biggest piece of cake and that you received all of the new toys that you had hopped for and just maybe a few more.
Regards Lawrence

Hello friends. So sorry I haven't been posting anything for many months. I just got busy with a bunch of other things at home. I have actually been doing a little work in the shipyard on and off but haven't really accomplished anything of significance. Just recently, I started resuming ship work more or less regularly.

I finished reeving the shrouds in the topmast a while back. Next up was putting in the ratlines...but only on the topmast. The lower mast shrouds will have to wait for later. Just a reminder that I will not be installing the masts yet at this time. My Caroline will have to travel across the Pacific in my checked baggage in November when I hope to finally be able to visit my daughter in LA. At this time, I will just be doing as much preparatory work on the masts (off ship) without mounting them.

Back to doing the ratlines. I am using 0.5mm black rope for the ratlines. The challenge is to try to keep the ratlines as straight as possible, with uniform spacing between them. There are many different techniques that other people use to do this. But the following method works best for me.

I take 2 wood strips of the appropriate width and clamp them against the shrouds as shown.
PSX_20220725_180653.jpgPSX_20220724_204624.jpg
This gives me a helpful guide as I tie the knots and keeping the shrouds from moving around.
PSX_20211202_145457.jpgPSX_20211202_145508.jpg

PSX_20211202_145609.jpgPSX_20211202_145558.jpgPSX_20211202_145811.jpg

Then I connect the futtock shrouds to the topmast shrouds as follows.
PSX_20211202_145914.jpg
PSX_20211202_145943.jpg

That's it for today...more to come tomorrow.

Hello friends. So sorry I haven't been posting anything for many months. I just got busy with a bunch of other things at home. I have actually been doing a little work in the shipyard on and off but haven't really accomplished anything of significance. Just recently, I started resuming ship work more or less regularly.

I finished reeving the shrouds in the topmast a while back. Next up was putting in the ratlines...but only on the topmast. The lower mast shrouds will have to wait for later. Just a reminder that I will not be installing the masts yet at this time. My Caroline will have to travel across the Pacific in my checked baggage in November when I hope to finally be able to visit my daughter in LA. At this time, I will just be doing as much preparatory work on the masts (off ship) without mounting them.

Back to doing the ratlines. I am using 0.5mm black rope for the ratlines. The challenge is to try to keep the ratlines as straight as possible, with uniform spacing between them. There are many different techniques that other people use to do this. But the following method works best for me.

I take 2 wood strips of the appropriate width and clamp them against the shrouds as shown.
View attachment 320196View attachment 320197
This gives me a helpful guide as I tie the knots and keeping the shrouds from moving around.
View attachment 320199View attachment 320200

View attachment 320201View attachment 320202View attachment 320203

View attachment 320205
View attachment 320204

Glad you are back Reggie.

Reggie, it is so good to hear from you again and I am glad to see that you are back in the shipyard! Thumbsup

View attachment 320196View attachment 320197
View attachment 320199View attachment 320200

View attachment 320201View attachment 320202View attachment 320203

View attachment 320205
View attachment 320204

welcome back , Reggie
very nice work

I’ll definitely have to consider your method for measuring ratlines, Reggie! I hope everything goes well for the travel to LA. You’re taking the ship with you? How will you package such a delicate thing? I’ve transported two ships to Omaha in a year’s time and was a nervous wreck both times. I’ve got one more to transport next year, so I’m curious about the details.

I’ll definitely have to consider your method for measuring ratlines, Reggie! I hope everything goes well for the travel to LA. You’re taking the ship with you? How will you package such a delicate thing? I’ve transported two ships to Omaha in a year’s time and was a nervous wreck both times. I’ve got one more to transport next year, so I’m curious about the details.
Hi Vic...I intend to put the ship in my hard case Samsonite with plenty of bubble wrap and Styrofoam padding. The masts and the bowsprit are not mounted yet, so it will basically just be the hull. Will keep my fingers crossed and say plenty of prayers.

I also did some work on the anchors and catheads. The anchors that came with the kit were a bit brittle and require gentle handling. One of my anchors broke off at the tip and I had to do some fix up work. The material was not susceptible to soldering, so I had to be content in using a piece of wood, glued as shown.
PSX_20220725_182509.jpgPSX_20220725_182552.jpg

Then finished off the anchors with black rope wooldings.
PSX_20220725_182623.jpgPSX_20220725_182707.jpgPSX_20220725_182748.jpgPSX_20220725_182822.jpg

Next was rigging the catheads.
PSX_20220725_182900.jpgPSX_20220725_182923.jpgPSX_20220725_201907.jpgPSX_20220725_201939.jpgPSX_20220725_202017.jpgPSX_20220725_202111.jpgPSX_20220725_202215.jpgPSX_20220725_202231.jpgPSX_20220725_202259.jpgPSX_20220725_202336.jpg

I will not attach the anchor to the hull yet at this point, for fear it might be damaged as I do more work on the ship. Will leave this for much later in the build.

That's it for now.
Thanks for stopping by.

PSX_20220725_202038.jpg

Hi Vic...I intend to put the ship in my hard case Samsonite with plenty of bubble wrap and Styrofoam padding. The masts and the bowsprit are not mounted yet, so it will basically just be the hull. Will keep my fingers crossed and say plenty of prayers.

My mother brought me 3 rigged ships the size of the Red Dragon (medium size) (one was the Red Dragon) on a flexible bag. The bag was the biggest size available for traveling. As you will do , it was full of packing material, towels, etc. What ever to keep the ship's on place. And all arrived fine . Argentina (Buenos Aires) to Boston. Just a couple of deck fittings were lose. Glued again and all done. I truly couldn't belive it.

You will be fine !!!.

Cheers
Daniel

My mother brought me 3 rigged ships the size of the Red Dragon (medium size) (one was the Red Dragon) on a flexible bag. The bag was the biggest size available for traveling. As you will do , it was full of packing material, towels, etc. What ever to keep the ship's on place. And all arrived fine . Argentina (Buenos Aires) to Boston. Just a couple of deck fittings were lose. Glued again and all done. I truly couldn't belive it.

You will be fine !!!.

Cheers
Daniel
Thanks for the info Daniel. I remain hopeful that my RC will survive the voyage.

I apologize it's been over 6 months since my last post. I've been working on my RC on and off, mainly trying to do as much preparatory work as I could, in anticipation of its long journey from the Philippines to Los Angeles. As mentioned earlier, I tried to finish as much assembly and rigging (off-ship) of the masts and yards since the ship will have to travel with the masts and other delicate parts disassembled.

I have since traveled to LA, where I finished the ship and lovingly turned it over to my daughter as my legacy gift. I am now back in the Philippines and will now attempt to keep you up to speed from where I left off.

But first, a sneak peek at the completed work.
PSX_20230203_103929.jpg

Will do more posts in the coming days.

Back