Santa Ana 1784 AL by PaulV

Very nice Paul, looks good, what about the cannons in brass or painted I think for you ship that is not painted better in brass, and for a painted ship better in black or gray, but this is everyone's liking.
as far as the plans are concerned, I do have the same problem with my Trinidad, but I follow as much as possible the step by step of Donnie's Trinidad, and that is so good that I do not need a plan or description
Greetings
Dj56 (willy)

Tks DJ , PAT. I was spoiled with my first ship the Caldercraft Endeavour. It was hard work for the first one. I then went back to simple cheaper kits to learn some more. Unfortunately the AL kits have very little instructions, but look good when fininshed. Occre is better, but CC has to be the best from tech point of view. The plans are superb.

I have the CC victory to do, but that will wait till the SA is completed. Not enought room. The cc Victory is 1.5 m long!. That one is all Paint

Deck 2 completed.

Adding supports for deck
DSC03591.jpg
Adding the deck ( in 4 parts , requried a fair amount of shaping to get them to fit properly)
DSC03592.jpg
Commencing the deck planking. went for 3 but either side of vents/ access ways, e=with full planking between. Most of this gets covered by top deck.
DSC03596.jpg
Making ladders ( steps)
DSC03599.jpg
first set of hatches / acess ways / vents
DSC03608.jpg
2nd vents / access ways completed.
DSC03609.jpg
Full view of 2nd deck
DSC03610.jpg
Building capstan
DSC03611.jpg

Capstan added & cannon balls placed in storage
DSC03615.jpg
Completed deck with 30 24 Lb ders positoned and reqdy to be completely covered & hidden by main deck. ( Hmmm)
DSC03616.jpg

Time for an update

I have installed the main deck and completed the center opening. As usual I only used the size guides as a starting place. The cross battens ise as specified were bot to long at the ends and to short in the center of the hull. As usual I measured and cut each one individually. Also the recommeded wood to be used was not sufficient so normal line wood batterns were used in conjuntion. As all of this is hidden it did not matter.
Battebs bs first guideplanks ( used to lay against and measure width of center open area
DSC03619.jpg
Bow planking laid
DSC03618.jpgDSC03617.jpgDSC03621.jpg

Stern main deck planing added
DSC03623.jpg
Edge planing added and hull planking cut to accommodate.
DSC03625.jpg
Rope fencing added to lower stairways
DSC03626.jpg
colums for grating supports & rings added
DSC03627.jpg
Upper gratings added
DSC03628.jpg

Open area grating & steps completed
DSC03629.jpg
Cross battens added for grating
DSC03631.jpg
Rear frame supports cut to 3mm to allow inner wall to be added
DSC03633.jpg
Template for stern gratings & stairs created
DSC03634.jpg
Placed in position for cutting of gratin opening & Stairway
DSC03635.jpg
Opening in mask cut for marking
DSC03640.jpg
Template created for main desk cannon ports
DSC03641.jpg

No to difficult but I had to create the masks as I did not trust sizing in instructions as it has not been correct yet. Ports also measured with completed canon and drawn on mask to accommodate their height.

G'day Paul
Be catching up on your log. Your speed is breathtaking as well as your modeling skills. Bravo mate.
Regarding the canons, it's like apple and oranges. It's up to you. Again well done.
Havagoodone
Greg

Thanka Greg & Willy. Not that fast Greg. I do 3 hours at night after work & 1 in the morning at 6.30am. ( As the result of my bypass and the time in/out of hospital I got used to 6-30 til 11pm days so stayed with the regime ). I am lucky / unucky that the work area is in my Study and as most of it is non power toolled I dont get yelled at to much. ( Still have to to the wifey chores first, but sometimes get distracted as it were).

Compared to you and others here I'm only a hack builder, but thanks for the compliments.

cheers Paul

No pat, Not allowed on weekends. Some nights I cant get into it. The wife watches her shows ( not my king of stuff) snd does her social media stuff, so I go do my Guildwars RPG, mail, do some gluing & cutting, play with Dogs etc and the time gets chewed up. We do not have Kids so the time is mine. I like to keep busy so I do lots of things at a time between glueing drying etc.. I used to write computer programs & code all night, ( 30 Years) , but that was not healthy for me. its more mentally relaxing to potter along with the ship build. I'm only at page 24 of 120 & part 143 of 800 an its taken 9 months so far. Your doing 2 ships at once. I cou dnt do that due to space and the fact that I'd get all the bits mixed up. My respect to you and others on the forum that can do that.

I'm not that quick compared to others. I just like to finish things.

Cheeps Paul

Ik work on these 2 because in my hobby chamber it is almost 30 degrees. So i Do the things that dont make to much dust in the livingroom with airconditioning. It stays about 29 degrees here for the next 2 weeks so gonna do second planking in livingroom from the wilhelm. I was at the emergency yesterday in the hospital. I must stay inside during the Day in front of the airconditioning and i can only go out for little walk in the evening. So its a little prisson time next 2 weeks.

Hi All

Been busy doing other things ) BUILDING mini CNC and I needed a break from her.

Anyway here is the current state
DSC03643.jpg
main deck competed
DSC03644.jpg
Hatchway completed
DSC03645.jpg
rear grates & main stairs completed
Roofing for poop deck started
Cabin framing added
DSC03653.jpg
DSC03659.jpg
ships wheels added
DSC03660.jpg
poop deck planking commenced
DSC03661.jpg
Poop deck planking completed. & side supports waiting final double hull planks.
DSC03664.jpg

see you soon.

My 60th on this weekend ( may be my last as I purchased my own birthday gift ( an XCarve!) the little cnc got me hooked. ( see review in new tools). Otherhalf has not seen the credit card yet!. You only live once and you should enjoy it!.

Back