Santiago de Compostela-Disar Model 1:72

Hello, Glenn.

There is no brainer people like to visualize when it comes to the building process. I am one of them, You can explain in multiple paragraphs and most likely I will get it, but if you post a picture accompanying with a few sentences it will happen much faster. Also, please don't forget, we are an international forum some of us can speak\read via Google Translate only. The translation of nautical terminology is desirable to be better.

please continue how you do your log, it is very interesting! ;)

Hello, Glenn.

There is no brainer people like to visualize when it comes to the building process. I am one of them, You can explain in multiple paragraphs and most likely I will get it, but if you post a picture accompanying with a few sentences it will happen much faster. Also, please don't forget, we are an international forum some of us can speak\read via Google Translate only. The translation of nautical terminology is desirable to be better.

please continue how you do your log, it is very interesting! ;)
I was mostly wondering if I should only post when I have pics. Thanks for the feedback, I'll continue the way I'm doing.:cool:

Time for some pics.

20211027_170250.jpg

20211027_170306.jpg

20211027_170325.jpg

20211027_170335.jpg

20211027_170347.jpg

20211027_170353.jpg

The next pics show what I was talking about previously, the thickness between the inner and outer panels that make up the bulwarks (hope I'm using the correct terminology). AoS was quick to ship the strips I ordered (ordered Sunday received Wednesday) so I'm starting on the top rails next.
20211027_170425.jpg

20211027_170409.jpg

20211027_170458.jpg

As always comments, suggestions and critiques are very welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to look!
Glenn

First up was the launch, a mini kit within the kit.

View attachment 254134

This turned out to be a Plank on Frame build. Something I didn't like was the Cello Tape holding the stock into bundles-had to deal with the adhesive.

Starting with the false keel and frames, I discovered the first error.
View attachment 254135

Look closely at the frame numbers listed for the sheet, then the numbers on the right pointing to the photo of the completed framework. Take the transom as an example-#13 on the sheet, but #2 on the photo. This had me scratching my head for a bit but I sorted it out.

Here's the completed fish skeleton:
View attachment 254136

I didn't take photos until after I had planked the hull. My method was to soak the planks, use my round nose pliers to coax the required curve into the plank, then glue on the plank using PVA. Hellman PVA is what I'm using, I believe it came from Hobby Lobby. I did this over a period of evenings while watching TV with the Admiral, clamping the planks with my fingers until the glue took hold. I worked top to bottom, beginning at the stem taking 2-3 steps to glue each plank. One port then one starboard in an attempt to keep the keel as straight as possible.

View attachment 254137
View attachment 254138View attachment 254139View attachment 254140
View attachment 254141View attachment 254142

Next I added the keel, interior floor planking and seats. Not perfectly symmetrical but not too bad.
View attachment 254146
View attachment 254144View attachment 254145

Finally the rub rails, rudder and tiller. The darker 1mm x 1mm outer rails gave me the most trouble on this small craft. The grain was diagonal so they wanted to splinter when I tried to bend them. I finally had success by soaking them for a full day, then placing them in hot (near boiling) water for a while (10-20 minutes). I finally got them to bend without splitting with just enough to finish.

View attachment 254147View attachment 254148View attachment 254150

The only thing the instructions call for that I haven't done-and may not do-is add the oar locks using the small bit of 1mm brass wire.

I think I going to finish it with Danish Oil, but for now it will stay as-is while I start on the ship itself.

Thanks for looking,
Glenn
What was it that Clint Eastwood's character said in Heartbreak Ridge movie, when confronted by a problem "improvise, adapt and overcome!"

Very clean and accurate work on the planking of the hull - very good result - I am looking forward to see the timeber oiled

Time for some pics.

View attachment 265684

View attachment 265685

View attachment 265686

View attachment 265687

View attachment 265688

View attachment 265689

The next pics show what I was talking about previously, the thickness between the inner and outer panels that make up the bulwarks (hope I'm using the correct terminology). AoS was quick to ship the strips I ordered (ordered Sunday received Wednesday) so I'm starting on the top rails next.
View attachment 265690

View attachment 265691

View attachment 265692

As always comments, suggestions and critiques are very welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to look!
Glenn
Dear Glenn
great progress, it's looks beautiful :)Thumbsup

Very clean and accurate work on the planking of the hull - very good result - I am looking forward to see the timeber oiled
Thank you Uwe for the compliment.

The instructions say to paint below the waterline and stain most of the remaining, but I'm not sure I'll do the paint below the waterline. I like the red/yellow design it has so plan to do that and have purchased Watco Danish oil with medium Walnut stain to use. I do have some other stains I plan to use on the deck furniture to provide some variety.

While waiting for the wood strips to arrive I was looking ahead in the instructions and am curious about the cannons. They are unlike any I have seen before.20211028_170012.jpg

20211028_165946.jpg

20211028_165849.jpg

Quick research via Google showed me that these may represent the older breech loaded cannon. I've been around firearms my entire life and am familiar with what a breech loaded weapon is, but these cannon are new to me. I'm unable to find much information on them, can anyone help me by providing more information?

Thank you for looking,
Glenn

Maybe these drawings will help you with your build
These will DEFINITELY be helpful. The 5th drawing appears to be the bulkheads included in the kit I received. I'm curious why these were not included in the kit? I looked on the Disar website and didn't see anything there either, but even tho it offers an English version much is still in Spanish which I don't speak so I may have simply missed it.

Steef thank you very much!

Back