Santiago de Compostela-Disar Model 1:72

In between the Honey Do's I did manage a bit of painting, the yellow on the Freeboard. I began with brushing a coat of white sealer, using it like a primer which I don't have. Then I brushed on a few layers of yellow acrylic.

20211109_185309.jpg

20211109_185321.jpg

20211109_185327.jpg

The results were not acceptable. Thin areas, thick areas, uneven coverage. Not sure if it's the paint or me, suspect it is a combination of both.

So I got one of my trusty riffler files and smoothed out the existing layers of paint.

20211109_185431.jpg

20211109_185344.jpg

20211109_185350.jpg

20211109_185409.jpg

This is the current state of my ship as I contemplate my next step. I think I need a primer that will give me a solid evenly colored basecoat for the yellow, and perhaps a different type of yellow paint. The yellow I was using was designed for leather and textiles, but it was what I had on hand and I liked the color so I tried it. I think a trip to HobbyLobby is in my near future.

Thanks for the likes and great comments I have been receiving.
Glenn

In between the Honey Do's I did manage a bit of painting, the yellow on the Freeboard. I began with brushing a coat of white sealer, using it like a primer which I don't have. Then I brushed on a few layers of yellow acrylic.

View attachment 268763

View attachment 268764

View attachment 268765

The results were not acceptable. Thin areas, thick areas, uneven coverage. Not sure if it's the paint or me, suspect it is a combination of both.

So I got one of my trusty riffler files and smoothed out the existing layers of paint.

View attachment 268766

View attachment 268767

View attachment 268768

View attachment 268769

This is the current state of my ship as I contemplate my next step. I think I need a primer that will give me a solid evenly colored basecoat for the yellow, and perhaps a different type of yellow paint. The yellow I was using was designed for leather and textiles, but it was what I had on hand and I liked the color so I tried it. I think a trip to HobbyLobby is in my near future.

Thanks for the likes and great comments I have been receiving.
Glenn
I think it will look pretty once you get it evened out. I think I’ll paint mine before adding the wales so I won’t have to be so careful cutting around the wales. Are you painting the wales at all?

I think it will look pretty once you get it evened out. I think I’ll paint mine before adding the wales so I won’t have to be so careful cutting around the wales. Are you painting the wales at all?
I am considering if I want to do anything to the Wales. I will probably stain them dark walnut as I did the thicker wales after I get the yellow portion corrected.

What do you think would look good?

I am considering if I want to do anything to the Wales. I will probably stain them dark walnut as I did the thicker wales after I get the yellow portion corrected.

What do you think would look good?
I don’t know. I guess it’s builder’s choice. The darker stain would make the mustard yellow pop out more. So might black wales. I’m still trying to decide whether to paint all mine black or to have some of the upper ones polyed over their natural sapele color. I think yours will look gorgeous whatever you choose. You seem to have good taste and a good vision of where you are going.

I don’t know. I guess it’s builder’s choice. The darker stain would make the mustard yellow pop out more. So might black wales. I’m still trying to decide whether to paint all mine black or to have some of the upper ones polyed over their natural sapele color. I think yours will look gorgeous whatever you choose. You seem to have good taste and a good vision of where you are going.
Ultimately the yellow stripe will actually be red/yellow chevron pattern. Hmm, the black would look good, I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for the idea!

Nice that yellow. I think you shouldn't use the primer. And go for several coats of diluted paint. To keep the grain in the wood.
And don"t be afraid to use colours. These types of ships were lushly colored.

Nice that yellow. I think you shouldn't use the primer. And go for several coats of diluted paint. To keep the grain in the wood.
And don"t be afraid to use colours. These types of ships were lushly colored.
Agreed, I like that yellow too.

I'm the first to admit not being an experienced brush painter. I will try your suggestion of thinning the paint. Previously I used it unthinned. Thank you for this.

Not sure if the wood grain will be seen through the existing layers of paint, I may need to take more off.

I have painted the red/yellow chevron pattern. I like the colors. Not crazy about my painting skills, or more precisely my lack thereof. I'll live with what I have because it is honestly the best I am presently capable of, I need more practice.

20211112_163735.jpg

20211112_163749.jpg

20211112_163759.jpg

20211112_163804.jpg

I used Createx paint, Wicked Yellow and Wicked Red, from my local HobbyLobby.

For such a simple design I couldn't believe how difficult it was to do.

Thank you for looking,
Glenn

I have painted the red/yellow chevron pattern. I like the colors. Not crazy about my painting skills, or more precisely my lack thereof. I'll live with what I have because it is honestly the best I am presently capable of, I need more practice.

View attachment 269292

View attachment 269293

View attachment 269294

View attachment 269295

Thank you for looking,
Glenn
I like the colors.

View attachment 269292

View attachment 269293

View attachment 269294

View attachment 269295

Thank you for looking,
Glenn
I recommend using painters tape or graphics tape to get a sharp edge on the pattern. You can put some on and touch up the edges of the red. But the colors look great! ;)

@Vfordyce, @Dean62 and @Heinrich thank you for the compliments, encouragement and suggestions.

I think at this point tape would be troublesome. The surface of the existing paint is uneven and bumpy so I believe I would have a lot of wicking under the tape.

The bumps in the paint, after close inspection, look like tiny bubbles. It would make sense as I did shake the heck out of the paint, it has sat unused for a couple of years so I wanted to insure it was well mixed. Another lesson learned-stir don't shake when brushing.

I'll leave it as-is, it doesn't look bad at 5'+ and I'm ready to move on with the build.

My intuition for that kind of work, that I do not try yet on model ship, will be to make a soft sanding, put varnish to level the surface and then paint it. May be someone can confirm or infirm that idea?

Hello Glen (Glenn?),

I am embarrassed to say that I only just now caught up with your build log. I'll just say WOW! What a wonderful job you have done on the hull. I will now be tracking with you - thanks for sharing your work with us - it is truly inspiring.

Paul

My intuition for that kind of work, that I do not try yet on model ship, will be to make a soft sanding, put varnish to level the surface and then paint it. May be someone can confirm or infirm that idea?
I agree this is a good way to do this, depending on the finished effect you want.

I preferred that the wood grain show through so I did not level the surface.

Hello Glen (Glenn?),

I am embarrassed to say that I only just now caught up with your build log. I'll just say WOW! What a wonderful job you have done on the hull. I will now be tracking with you - thanks for sharing your work with us - it is truly inspiring.

Paul
Hello Doc (hope it's OK to call you this),

It's Glenn, be generous with the nnn's ;). Although I also answer to Stan (last name is Stanfield) as well as several other nicknames I've had through life...

Thank you for the compliment! I have been getting inspiration from YOUR build/log!!!

Glenn

Back