Santiago de Compostela-Disar Model 1:72

Finally had time to work on this over the Holiday. My wife and our 12 year old son spent the holiday with her daughter out of town while I stayed at home to care for our pets. Unfortunately I was so happy to work on it I failed to take pictures as I progressed, but here are a few as it looks now.

First, I wanted to make the holes to mount the ship to a base for display. I don't have a drill press so drilled these holes freehand with my Dremel. Started with small bits and worked my way up.

20211123_165122.jpg

Not perfect but close enough. I used a #8-32 tap to thread the hole, thin CA glue to harden the wood then cleaned it up with the tap again. I'm confident they will hold.
20211123_165201.jpg

The Dremel barely managed to complete the holes, I need something with more torque.

Next I put in the lower gun deck. Then I scraped the portion that may be seen under the gratings and where each cannon would be mounted. The cannon are mounted on simple bases with no rigging. The brass cannon were darkened with Jax and the bases painted black. The deck was treated with Watco Natural Color Danish Oil after the cannon were glued in place with Titebond II.

There are 3 sizes of cannon. The largest were mounted on the sides while 2 of the smallest are mounted pointing aft through the transom.

20211128_193340.jpg

20211128_193323.jpg

As you can see I have already started on the second deck.
20211128_193252.jpg

As always thank you for looking, the likes and comments.

Glenn

Attachments

• 20211128_193249.jpg
    20211128_193249.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 9
My wife and our 12 year old son spent the holiday with her daughter out of town while I stayed at home to care for our pets.
Ha Ha
the same often with me
my wife and daughter are making holiday and I "have" to stay and take care for the pets (dog, cat, turtles, rabbits and birds)
Unfortunately there is some spare time in between, where I have to take care also about the workshop ;)
BTW: Good work - lucky you

Ha Ha
the same often with me
my wife and daughter are making holiday and I "have" to stay and take care for the pets (dog, cat, turtles, rabbits and birds)
Unfortunately there is some spare time in between, where I have to take care also about the workshop ;)
It's a sacrifice we make for those we love ;)

Bad thing is the holiday FLEW by too fast...

Glenn

Very nice work Glenn and a good job of doing all the necessary preparations for the future mounting of the ship. Yes, sometimes we do just want to be alone to work on our ships, but believe me - cherish those moments. If you are flying solo all the time without family, then you realize how important those moments were.

Ha Ha
the same often with me
I think you guys offered the pets sitting so you could play in your shipyards ROTF

Very nice work Glenn and a good job of doing all the necessary preparations for the future mounting of the ship. Yes, sometimes we do just want to be alone to work on our ships, but believe me - cherish those moments. If you are flying solo all the time without family, then you realize how important those moments were.
I couldn't agree with you more @Heinrich ! While this son is 12, our others range in age from 26 to 30 and I did miss a lot while they grew up. My actual reason for staying behind was being "on call" for work. We all take turns being on call and it was simply my turn. Fortunately all ran smoothly over the Holidays so I got to spend much time in the shipyard.

The second deck has been planked. I scraped the deck on the bow and midships where it will be visible. I did not scrape the areas where the next deck will cover it from site.

New to my toolbox are 4 Grobet Riffler Files, 3 in cut 0 and one cut 2. To try them out I worked on the decking I didn't scrape. I figured it would be good practice since it will not be visible for much longer. My intention was to just do a small portion but the process of using the rifflers turned out to be addictive and I've nearly finished the entire deck!

20211209_210121.jpg

20211209_210144.jpg

20211209_210150.jpg

Also New to the toolbox are some Smith regulators, shown here with the Smith Little Torch I've had for a few years but have never used. With the proper tip it is capable of a 1/8" flame. As I have it it will be capable of a 1 1/2" (possibly smaller) pencil flame. I'm familiar using full size oxy/acetylene torches, can't wait to use this little one.

20211209_211017.jpg

Thank you for your interest and looking in.

Glenn

The second deck has been planked. I scraped the deck on the bow and midships where it will be visible. I did not scrape the areas where the next deck will cover it from site.

New to my toolbox are 4 Grobet Riffler Files, 3 in cut 0 and one cut 2. To try them out I worked on the decking I didn't scrape. I figured it would be good practice since it will not be visible for much longer. My intention was to just do a small portion but the process of using the rifflers turned out to be addictive and I've nearly finished the entire deck!

View attachment 274808

View attachment 274809

View attachment 274810

Also New to the toolbox are some Smith regulators, shown here with the Smith Little Torch I've had for a few years but have never used. With the proper tip it is capable of a 1/8" flame. As I have it it will be capable of a 1 1/2" (possibly smaller) pencil flame. I'm familiar using full size oxy/acetylene torches, can't wait to use this little one.

View attachment 274813

Glenn
What will you use the torch for?

View attachment 274808

View attachment 274809

View attachment 274810

View attachment 274813

Glenn
Looking good Glen! ;)

What will you use the torch for?
This type of torches is mostly used for soldering in jewelry-making parts where you work with silver\gold solders. Those types of solder require a high melting point temperature. The beauty of this torch in rapid flame intense controls with a turn of the knurled nub with a thumb.

Back