Santisima Trinidad Cross-Section 1:90 Kit Build

Hi Kurt,
you might want to wipe off the white glue before it dries. It will be very obvious when you varnish the wood.
I fully agree with Brian
Here f.e. I would use a chisel to scratch close to the surface and collect the surplus glue .
When the glue is wet, it is much much easier to remove glue,,,,,

Hello Kurt,
I was reviewing my first build log of the Midwest Products 'Sharpie Schooner' and realized you were among the first SOS members to welcome me aboard.
I've just reviewed your log of the Midwest 'Skipjack' and here the Santisima and have really enjoyed both. I see where you just came back online from July 2020
so now I can watch you complete this cross section. WOW the Santisima Trinidad has a lot of sub decks, good job so far keep it up!

I fully agree with Brian
Here f.e. I would use a chisel to scratch close to the surface and collect the surplus glue .
When the glue is wet, it is much much easier to remove glue,,,,,
Agreed…I normally put glue on parts with a toothpick and spread to a thin layer to avoid squeeze out. And if I get any, I immediately scrape it off with a xacto blade. Glue kills stain and other wood treatments ability to be absorbed by the wood. If you paint, no big deal. But I still don’t like to see any glue normally, unless if it’s on the assembly of a wooden anchor and you want the glue to represent a weld or something like that. But that is once again painted. ;)

C54159E0-0D3E-46E7-B5DC-98DC65A58943.jpeg

Next up was to make pin rails for top deck. These were cut from strip wood and corners rounded. Then I measured several times to try to space the pin holes evenly and straight. Not perfect but should look ok when with pins and ropes installed

I would paint the carriages red. Plus it would give you the opportunity to dry brush or add other detail. ;)
...you know what would be my recommendations, :p but...painting red would be an alternative for sure.

I don’t plan to do much in upgrades on this kit. I have messed it up enough already and just want to finish it as best possible. I do like it any may one day buy another to build correctly and look quality workmanship. This has been a great learning build!

OK more work done today. I finished up installing steps on second side of hull, and got some small rigging bits done that mount to deck beside the mast.

I got out the lower set of dead eyes and cut and installed wire which will connect to chains under channel.

Lastly I gave it a good dusting and applied final coat of Danish Oil to the whole hull assembly.

Next is to install belaying pins and dead eyes and chains. Then it’s on to the topside masts and all that comes with it.

916C7928-6070-4428-AEC8-45E98AC90B39.jpegB7F68B6B-77B7-4346-A346-6D81A6C8CF02.jpegB4FC1CFB-F4B6-4938-903A-CDE93B215C5E.jpeg58CB602B-95DC-4D07-9972-F5449C13FDED.jpegFB2823AE-A72C-401E-B688-4118F3283BEE.jpeg

Back