Schooner Bluenose 1:48 plans by P.F. Eisnor, practium by Gene Bodnar

Why I Chose the Bluenose
My first introduction to the Bluenose was from Frank Mastini's book (Ship Modeling Simplified). To me, the ship had great lines and I really like the look of the rigging. In addition, having built 2 ships of war, and one currently being built, oddly I found myself reading up on the Tea Clippers more than ships of war. Hence, as I was planning ahead for a scratch build, I found myself wanting to build merchant ships and fishing vessels (put a 4 masted Tea Clipper on my down the road list).

With that, for my first scratch build, I was considering The Leon using Underhill's plans and books; however, for those that are not aware, MSB and Navy Board Models contains practicums by PF Eisnor and Gene Bodnar. I thought it would be best to use a practicum by Gene Bodnar as 1) Well, the practicums are by Gene, 2) I read his practicum's and found them easy to follow, and 3) I found his methods within my skills and in a way that I would like to work. Out of all this, I decided upon the Bluenose.

The Bluenose
There is plenty of information to read about the Bluenose. She was included on a stamp(some can fetch up to $700 for you stamp folks out there), and she is on the Canadian dime. The Bluenose was a 2 masted fishing and racing schooner built in Nova Scotia in 1921. She had an undefeated record in the International Fisherman's Trophy Cup. Her nickname was "Queen of the North Atlantic", considering her racing record an appropriate name. She also held the record for the largest cod caught. In 1942, with the decline of salt water fishing, she was sold and used to transport goods in the Caribbean. During this time she hit a reef and sunk with no souls lost.

Eisnor's write up is on MSB site, and has the following about her:

Dimensions:

Overall Length: 143’- 0”
Beam (moulded): 27’- 0”
Waterline Length: 112’- 0”
Depth (main hatch): 11’-6”
Draught: 15’-10”
Displacement: 285 tons
Mainmast, above deck: 81’-0”
Fore Mast, above deck: 73’-0”
Main Top Mast: 53’-6”
Fore Top Mast: 48’-6”
Main Boom: 81’-0”
Main Gaff: 51’-0”
Fore Boom: 32’-6”
Fore Gaff: 32’-6”
Sail Area, including fisherman’s Stay Sail: 10,000 sq. ft.​
The Stamp:

stamp.jpg

Other Media:

Bluenose song by Stan Rogers (the video includes pictures).

A Canadian Vignette on the Bluenose:

An article in Popular Mechanic article about the race from 1930.

Plans
As stated above, I will use the plans by Eisnor. Navy Board Models has a plank-on-buklhead practium by Eisnor, and in this document he states (about the plans):

My scale drawings of the schooner “Bluenose” are the result of several years of research, since there are no drawings of the ship “as built”. In addition, minor changes were made to her deck gear and spars over the years of service and photos taken years apart often do not agree in her details. She was built over eighty-five years ago and virtually all her working drawings were either lost or destroyed. Over my years of research, all I was able to find was a yellowed and tattered copy of the original Hull Lines drawing made by her designer William J. Roué. This drawing, coupled with data found at the Provincial Archives of Nova Scotia in Halifax, The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax and finally the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg, together with numerous photographs and interviews with surviving people who worked and sailed on the original ship, this was the foundation of my drawings. These drawings show the vessel as she was shortly after she was made ready for her first trip to the Grand Banks in 1921.

More information about Eisnor is on the MSB website, and the December 2007 issue of the MSB Journal contains an interview by Winston.

Materials
I asked Gene what wood he used, and the answer was basswood (except for wood under tension). In the practicum, there is a list of which wood to purchase. Going through the practicum, I have only added a 3/16*3/16 stick for the main deck shelf, and a 3/32 sheet for the main rail. For the other wood, I will probably follow Gene's advice and go with apple. I have a supply of some copper wire, so I may make the chain an a few other parts from that. I do not plan sails, but I will make the rope and mast/spars out of what material I have or will buy the material to make.

Gene's practicum has a copy of the original paint scheme from the yard, and it is also on Navy Board Models. I will hand paint, as is my preference, with artist acrylics.

Methods

I plan on following Gene's practicum, some of the reference books I own, as well as information from the forms. I have heard some criticisms of the older books as dated or methods not applicable to working today. Advances in glue seems one good sticking point! However, I may still use some of these old methods because as Zoltan states: Build what you like, and like what you build. Sometimes the old way is they way I like to do things, may not be fast or pretty, but something I like to do.

Building Board
While I like the building gantry, I am afraid I may damage the work in progress. To me, the building board will add a layer of protection around a klutz like myself. I still have a few weeks to decide on the building board. I keep going back and forth. At this time, I have not extra wood so it will be a purchase no matter what.

Schedule

I will be working on my current build (the Admiral is keeping track), and start working on the Bluenose as supplies come in; however, my workbench space can take only so much. I ordered the plans on Friday (1/4/19). The wood I ordered Monday (1/8/19). Next updates will be when the plans come in.

References

Links (most in my write up above)
P. F. Eisnor article on the Bluenose.

History from The Canadian Encyclopedia
Interview of P. F. Eisnor.
Plans on MSB.
Practicum by Gene Bodnar on MSB.

Books (yes, I am a nerd in this way)
Dressel, Donald. Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders
Leaf, Edwin B. Ship Modeling from Scratch. Tips and Techniques for Building Without Kits
Mondfeld, Wolfram zu. Historic Ship Models
Roth, Milton. Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern
Underhill, Harold A. Plank-On_frame Models (Volumes I and II)

Websites
Model Ship Builder
Navy Board Models
Ships of Scale

Thanks,

Mike

Plans came in, I ordered last Friday and shipped out that Monday. The plans ship from the son of PF Eisnor.

There are 7 sheets in total, lots of detail, model notes, and information. All but masting detail are on 24"x48" paper, masting detail is on 35"x24" paper. Scale is 1/4"=1', except rigging sail plan is 1/8"=1'.

Call me sappy, but seeing some of the details (such as hand shading and drawing) is great (really can't describe in words), almost like you are there with PF Eisnor in some sense.

Wow--been year. Started back up. Completed the frame drawings and keel layout. Building board is all together. Keel is assembled is installed, a few frames are built and keel holders set in place. No, production of frames.

This is my dowel production (minus the band-saw). The bamboo is from a co-workers house (only using this bit, I have other stock of store-bought skewers that are nice). I use the reverse side of this jewelers plate--it works great.

IMG_0213.JPG

My basic building station (minus the band saw and sanders). Glass if from an old scale and of course a Lego which I always find good for various uses (a 1-2-3 block of sorts). I love the Proxxon--easy to cut and move on, blue tape is the center line.

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

Current status, three frames in and keel holders set with the height on M frame (I had put in R as a test to make sure, but cut the rail too short). Other frames in process, I am at about a frame a day.
IMG_0219.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very good - your jig seems to be very good prepared
I can see, that you have a small helper with the Lego Duplo (I think Helicopter pilot?) :cool:

Would be great to see more often some progress on your project ......

Ah, the holidays and how work slows. Also, have a bit of eye issues keep coming up (glaucoma suspect and a touch of retinopathy) so took a break until got news today that: you should be fine, just eye appts every 6 months.

For the model, I have had to redo the CL frame (3rd time will be a charm;)). Redid frame 2 (got a too close on band saw) as well and got R in to make sure the all was set to good height. I am a going to slow to about an hour a day of working to keep the eye strain down for a bit until I am more comfortable.

IMG_0223.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see this build getting started. Bluenose is a sweet old girl. I am glad you were able to get hold of a set of drawings in 1/4" : 1', the limited edition monograph that was produced in 1977 is very hard to get hold of, only 1,000 were printed, I am fortunate to have #623 in my possession. I will be following your build with great attention.

Bob

Good to hear, that your eyes are getting better - I am crossing the fingers, that you will have more time for the model

Hello Mike, Golly you are sure moving along on your Bluenose POF build, I have always wondered about the P E Eisnor build plans and almost bought a set but decided to go with Heinrich's POF Bluenose Kit for the simple reason as to cut down on the tons of saw dust that these POF builds produce . I am still in the midst of building my POF Oliver Cromwell and the saw dust is still fresh in my mind. This scratch type POF builds is a rather challenging and also very rewarding at the same time. It looks like you have a very good handle on your build and that is for sure. May I suggest that when sawing out your hull frames that you stay to the outside of you frames lines, it is so east to go over these lines that even just a little will change the shape of your ship. I like to use a disk sander to come down to your frame lines and never go over. Keep up the great work and I will enjoy fowling your build along as you build this very interesting and great fishing schooner.
Regards Lawrence

Why I Chose the Bluenose
My first introduction to the Bluenose was from Frank Mastini's book (Ship Modeling Simplified). To me, the ship had great lines and I really like the look of the rigging. In addition, having built 2 ships of war, and one currently being built, oddly I found myself reading up on the Tea Clippers more than ships of war. Hence, as I was planning ahead for a scratch build, I found myself wanting to build merchant ships and fishing vessels (put a 4 masted Tea Clipper on my down the road list).

With that, for my first scratch build, I was considering The Leon using Underhill's plans and books; however, for those that are not aware, MSB and Navy Board Models contains practicums by PF Eisnor and Gene Bodnar. I thought it would be best to use a practicum by Gene Bodnar as 1) Well, the practicums are by Gene, 2) I read his practicum's and found them easy to follow, and 3) I found his methods within my skills and in a way that I would like to work. Out of all this, I decided upon the Bluenose.

The Bluenose
There is plenty of information to read about the Bluenose. She was included on a stamp(some can fetch up to $700 for you stamp folks out there), and she is on the Canadian dime. The Bluenose was a 2 masted fishing and racing schooner built in Nova Scotia in 1921. She had an undefeated record in the International Fisherman's Trophy Cup. Her nickname was "Queen of the North Atlantic", considering her racing record an appropriate name. She also held the record for the largest cod caught. In 1942, with the decline of salt water fishing, she was sold and used to transport goods in the Caribbean. During this time she hit a reef and sunk with no souls lost.

Eisnor's write up is on MSB site, and has the following about her:

Dimensions:

Overall Length:
143’- 0”
Beam (moulded): 27’- 0”
Waterline Length: 112’- 0”
Depth (main hatch): 11’-6”
Draught: 15’-10”
Displacement: 285 tons
Mainmast, above deck: 81’-0”
Fore Mast, above deck: 73’-0”
Main Top Mast: 53’-6”
Fore Top Mast: 48’-6”
Main Boom: 81’-0”
Main Gaff: 51’-0”
Fore Boom: 32’-6”
Fore Gaff: 32’-6”
Sail Area, including fisherman’s Stay Sail: 10,000 sq. ft.​
The Stamp:

View attachment 71464

Other Media:

Bluenose song by Stan Rogers (the video includes pictures).

A Canadian Vignette on the Bluenose:

An article in Popular Mechanic article about the race from 1930.

Plans
As stated above, I will use the plans by Eisnor. Navy Board Models has a plank-on-buklhead practium by Eisnor, and in this document he states (about the plans):

My scale drawings of the schooner “Bluenose” are the result of several years of research, since there are no drawings of the ship “as built”. In addition, minor changes were made to her deck gear and spars over the years of service and photos taken years apart often do not agree in her details. She was built over eighty-five years ago and virtually all her working drawings were either lost or destroyed. Over my years of research, all I was able to find was a yellowed and tattered copy of the original Hull Lines drawing made by her designer William J. Roué. This drawing, coupled with data found at the Provincial Archives of Nova Scotia in Halifax, The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax and finally the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg, together with numerous photographs and interviews with surviving people who worked and sailed on the original ship, this was the foundation of my drawings. These drawings show the vessel as she was shortly after she was made ready for her first trip to the Grand Banks in 1921.

More information about Eisnor is on the MSB website, and the December 2007 issue of the MSB Journal contains an interview by Winston.

Materials
I asked Gene what wood he used, and the answer was basswood (except for wood under tension). In the practicum, there is a list of which wood to purchase. Going through the practicum, I have only added a 3/16*3/16 stick for the main deck shelf, and a 3/32 sheet for the main rail. For the other wood, I will probably follow Gene's advice and go with apple. I have a supply of some copper wire, so I may make the chain an a few other parts from that. I do not plan sails, but I will make the rope and mast/spars out of what material I have or will buy the material to make.

Gene's practicum has a copy of the original paint scheme from the yard, and it is also on Navy Board Models. I will hand paint, as is my preference, with artist acrylics.

Methods

I plan on following Gene's practicum, some of the reference books I own, as well as information from the forms. I have heard some criticisms of the older books as dated or methods not applicable to working today. Advances in glue seems one good sticking point! However, I may still use some of these old methods because as Zoltan states: Build what you like, and like what you build. Sometimes the old way is they way I like to do things, may not be fast or pretty, but something I like to do.

Building Board
While I like the building gantry, I am afraid I may damage the work in progress. To me, the building board will add a layer of protection around a klutz like myself. I still have a few weeks to decide on the building board. I keep going back and forth. At this time, I have not extra wood so it will be a purchase no matter what.

Schedule

I will be working on my current build (the Admiral is keeping track), and start working on the Bluenose as supplies come in; however, my workbench space can take only so much. I ordered the plans on Friday (1/4/19). The wood I ordered Monday (1/8/19). Next updates will be when the plans come in.

References

Links (most in my write up above)
P. F. Eisnor article on the Bluenose.

History from The Canadian Encyclopedia
Interview of P. F. Eisnor.
Plans on MSB.
Practicum by Gene Bodnar on MSB.

Books (yes, I am a nerd in this way)
Dressel, Donald. Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders
Leaf, Edwin B. Ship Modeling from Scratch. Tips and Techniques for Building Without Kits
Mondfeld, Wolfram zu. Historic Ship Models
Roth, Milton. Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern
Underhill, Harold A. Plank-On_frame Models (Volumes I and II)

Websites

Model Ship Builder
Navy Board Models
Ships of Scale

Thanks,

Mike
Hallo Mike alias @bikepunk
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Plans came in, I ordered last Friday and shipped out that Monday. The plans ship from the son of PF Eisnor.

There are 7 sheets in total, lots of detail, model notes, and information. All but masting detail are on 24"x48" paper, masting detail is on 35"x24" paper. Scale is 1/4"=1', except rigging sail plan is 1/8"=1'.

Call me sappy, but seeing some of the details (such as hand shading and drawing) is great (really can't describe in words), almost like you are there with PF Eisnor in some sense.
what is the address where you ordered the plans for the Bluenoose from. I just ordered a set of 1/4 scale and they are not the plans that I ordered. When I got them they were 3/16 scale and not drawn by PF Eisnor. They were drawn by someone else and mark model shipways. It was bad enough that I didn't recieve the scale that I ordered but they wern't drawn by PF Eisnor.

what is the address where you ordered the plans for the Bluenoose from. I just ordered a set of 1/4 scale and they are not the plans that I ordered. When I got them they were 3/16 scale and not drawn by PF Eisnor. They were drawn by someone else and mark model shipways. It was bad enough that I didn't recieve the scale that I ordered but they wern't drawn by PF Eisnor.
From Model Ship Builder (seems website it not working at this time: https://modelshipbuilder.com/). Maybe try Kip at winston@modelshipbuilder.com

Back