Shackleton's Endurance - Occre - By Bill-R

I did the same thing Bill. I jumped ahead to the ship’s boats. I really enjoyed working on that small scale. Nice hack to keep the frames square.

Thanks Kramer. It took a little work, but it turned out pretty good. I did some calculations on the frames and at 1:70 scale the frames would be 6 inches wide. That seems too wide and I don’t think it looks correct either. The boat scales out at about 22ft. I will need to do some investigating to see what was typical for that time.

Bill

When I was making the small boats Llaut Mallorquín and I had a discussion about the authenticity of the Occre kit in this respect that may be of help (see my build log #50 to #59).
A number of photos of the boats exist around the Internet and in the book but few, if any, show the internal construction. Some, especially the James Caird, we're extensively modified during the expedition.
The James Caird, according to the book Endurance, was 22 ft, so Occre at least got that right, although I don't think all the boats were the same size.

While looking for documentation on the small boats, I did find a internet site where a person was building a replica of the James Carid. I don’t know the authenticity of his build, but there are many more ribs and they are much thinner. If I had better skills, I would make smaller ribs. At this point I don’t think I would be able to do this. It also appears to me that the rail thickness is way out of scale.

Bill

Nice planking job! This hull has beautiful lines. I looking forward to watching your progress.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the comments, like's and looking in. I have been taking my time with the planking and overall construction. I need the practice for when I muster up the courage to start my first POF.

Bill

Hello everyone,

Thanks Grant. Thanks for the likes. The hard part starts now. I will have to take my time laying down the second planking.

The wood supplied for the second planking is sapele. The wood has a grain that I'm not sure I like. The hull will be painted, so it should be a mute point. It bends easily without any heat. I have read that sapele does not work very will with steam or heat. I also noticed that edges of the planks are ragged and uneven under a magnifying glass. I will have to edge sand each plank before gluing into place.

Bill

Hello everyone,

Thanks Grant. Thanks for the likes. The hard part starts now. I will have to take my time laying down the second planking.

The wood supplied for the second planking is sapele. The wood has a grain that I'm not sure I like. The hull will be painted, so it should be a mute point. It bends easily without any heat. I have read that sapele does not work very will with steam or heat. I also noticed that edges of the planks are ragged and uneven under a magnifying glass. I will have to edge sand each plank before gluing into place.

Bill
Good morning Bill. Sapele is not the best wood grain and colour. I have Sapele veneer on my Xebec and I just have to go with it. I think it is Occre second layer go to plank. Good luck and have fun. Cheers Grant

Hello everyone,

Bill
For my second layer planking I was fortunate to have sufficient planking left over from my previous build (Candelaria) which was Embero (not sure what it's called in English) much darker in colour but straighter grain and tidier edges as a result. Air brushed black it gave a good result that I liked.
Good luck with the rest of the build. I'm nearing completion on mine but don't exorcist to be able to do any more until I return from a trip to the Netherlands in April.

Hello Grant and Barcomad,

Occre has supplied an ample amount of wood that I am not sure where it is to be used. It is 5mm x .5mm. I may use it. There seems to be enough to plank the hull.

Bill

View attachment 365131
Good evening Bill. It looks like a lime veneer. It is what is used to plank the second layer above the wales on the Cazador. I would guess it is for the hull. Occre instructions In my kit are pretty good so check it out. Cheers Grant

Good morning Bill,
I had to catch up a little, very nice result. I'm looking forward to your first POF, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

Thanks Tobias. I am pleased with the results so far. I am looking forward to starting a POF, but I am having trouble understanding what I am looking at on POF plans. I have gotten several monographs as possible first POF's. Unfortunately even though I have gotten several books including Adrian Sorolla's "An Introduction to Model Ship Building Dockyard Style", I am still having trouble grasping the techniques. I just received another set of plans and monograph that ars advertised as being a great first POF. We will see. By the way, to muddy the waters more, I have never considered myself the sharpest tack in the box. :)

Bill

Back