Sharing my build of the Cazador and San Fillipe

Thought I would try my first upload to this site. Feel like I am taking a huge risk sharing this as I have made many mistakes in the build so far, but hopefully overcome them. Been a huge learning curve.20180525_092139.jpg

Hallo @kah4 ,
if we from the staff can assist and help somehow to make your posting or uploading photo etc.?
Please do not hesitate to contact someone from us, maybe Zoltan @zoly99sask or myself @Uwek
BTW: your photo is showing a nice model, I would like to get more information....

Thank you Uwe. I commenced building the Cazador about 3 months ago. I have been inspired by Paul`s postings on the forum providing a diary of his build of the Cazador. I use those postings as a reference source as the instructions that came with the model are a little sparse in places They do not always giving you enough information to complete sections of the build. A little trial and error in places and I am glad I have bought odd fitments and additional wood from model outlets previously. This gave me enough additional material to cover the build so far. Just starting the masts now.
As I have now retired I do have time for the build and am looking forward to the next stages. A great hobby.

You are off to a fine start, I will be watching your build with great interest.
Mike

Have to say I am not looking forward to the rigging. Studying the plans doesn't give much confidence to the process. However, has to be done. I have bought additional thread as I can see a few errors occurring on the way and may well need it. I am now in the process of shaping the masts. Looking at your build diary has been a great help and a superb reference source to check if I am on the right lines. I think your photos of the rigging are going to be invaluable. Thank you for sharing your build.

The plans for the rigging are mostly good, except for the belaying points. Yep you will need more thread. The brown is sufficient, but the natural hemp is not. With the belaying, the numbering is missing. I just replicated on the port / Starboard for some and it worked out. The issue is with the mast pully system for the sails. In the end I went for feels right.

Hi Paul.. have had another look at plans and see your point about belaying pins. I am able to trace the lines, it is the securing points that are a little fuzzy.. However, I am sure I will get there. Thanks for your help Kevin

Have now dry fitted the masts. As I began to separate the mast heads from the precut sheet, a little splintering began to occur. The wood seems very fragile and seems to splinter quite easily. However, I managed to separate them with out too much damage being caused. Prior to drilling the required holes I decided to coat them in interior wood adhesive, mixed with some water. This gave a very thin layer of glue and once dried strengthened them. Drilling was no problem and painting them after also no problem.

20180531_180910.jpg

Hi Denis
The model is from OcCre. I bought the kit about 5 years ago from our local model shop. It was in a sale and my wife encouraged me to buy it. Since then it has been sat in a cupboard. It was when I started to browse this web site that I found the build log of the Cazador by Paul. This inspired me to start the build in February this year. Previously I have built HMS Bounty and the Victory. For some reason I am finding the Cazador a little more challenging, why I am not sure. Pauls build log has been very helpful though as a reference point. Kevin

Hi
Yes, Jabeque Cazador. It is a nice ship to build, but have had difficulties in places. The plans are fairly good, but I have found some of the material a little difficult to work with. During the build I decided to use gold on the decorative parts rather than light brown or cream as suggested as I feel it gave a more elegant look to the ship. I also used Colron Liquid scratch cover rather than painting the wood black. I have just used this as a form of wood dye and am pleased with the look it gives. I feel it has more of a natural look to the finish.
Kevin

With the current heatwave here in the UK I have been gardening, visiting the beaches and many coffees with friends. I am afraid to say the build is on hold as a result. I have revisited the plans though on a number of occasions, frustrated by lack of information on certain aspects of the rigging. Certain lines seem to be numbered on the plans but with no identified attachment points. Have been doing some on-line research to try and identify where these go, without much success so far. Paul in his build diary I think stated the same issue. Having said this about some of the lines others are marked and attachment points clearly identified. When we have rain and the skies are once again cloudy with the wind up I will get back to the build and post updates.

Is she square rigged or lateen? These ships are not easy to rigg.....maybe you show us on a photo your rigging drawings and we try to give help and hints for the belaying points.....let us try

Nearly all the Belaying pints are there on the plan. On the occre plans they only show one side or opposite side numbering ( 0ne number on side, the next on the other, skipping) , so you have to replicate for the other at the same point opposite. Some of the numbering is obscured or skipped, but a close examination of the plan will show you. As all the masts are the same rigging. Once you complete the fore, the others are the same. The BIG sail blocks are a pain to cross rig but imagine a Giant Dead eye and it will work out. Th only issues I had was theading the ropes though the strips along the hull walls and tying them off so that the sail beams lined up.

Hi Uwe and Paul. I worked on this yesterday evening, inspired by the posting Uwe made. I have worked on what I feel is right looking at the plans again. Thank you both for helping , really appreciated. Kevin

20180722_070010.jpg20180722_065954.jpg20180722_070010.jpg20180722_065948.jpg

Yep Great Job. Pin the yards & do the big pully blocks before doing any more as the riggining gets fiddly for your hands as it all goes to the sides. I broke so many lines with my watch catching them.

Back