Soleil Royal by Heller - an Extensive Modification and Partial Scratch-Build by Hubac’s Historian

Well, I’ve got the ocher cut-in on the port side, and I’m a third of the way through the ocher, starboard. You can’t really tape these lines because of the limited access and curved shapes:

View attachment 343483
View attachment 343485
View attachment 343484
There is still much to paint here. I have to grey-wash the horse and the cathead figure. I still haven’t muted the colors of the red and yellow ocher, and of course none of the gilt work has been done. Little by little, though, we are getting there.
Hi Marc,
Beautiful fine painting, something I find very tricky getting a straight line.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Painting on the headrails continues. I’ve been through a round of re-touches and I’ve applied the distress wash. If I may so so, they look pretty good. The wash does a world of wonders. Pics to follow after gilding and grey-washing of the horses.

I have also been busy drafting the third and final tier of stern lights. This was interesting, for me, as I had to remind myself of a few important design considerations.

Firstly, I had increased the camber of the middle-tier of lights because the arc of the lower tier would have appeared too flat (in a shorter arc segment), if I had remained consistent. It seemed like an additional increase in camber, for the top tier would not pay dividends, so I maintained the middle arc of camber.

I believe this will frame a nice upward sweep to the tafferal frieze for Apollo and his chariot. What I am aiming for is best expressed by the magnificent work of Olivier Gatine on his magnificent La Belle:

F3056C67-1475-420E-BF98-560D21851A1D.jpeg

There is an elegance of line, IMO, that really elevates this model above any other attempt I have seen of this subject - and there have been many really good ones. He really captures something, here.

I can only dare to dream and attempt to emulate the finer points of his craft. Here is where my upper tier stands for now. I have to apply this drawing to a card template so that I can really see it on the model:

68C9D93A-4832-4867-83FF-50F7FDD77C66.jpeg

The drawing is a bit muddled from previous camber lines that were flatter, and subsequently fixed under hairspray.

As I have always said - this model is an amalgamation of compromises, and my process has yielded a few less desirable inconsistencies. Because I have had to draw each level of the stern, as the model has become a concretely measurable thing, there is not always perfect continuity of line:

44A9E454-0E69-4CB7-A707-3D7356E5C28E.jpeg

I missed my opportunity to make fine adjustments in that middle tier of drafting. Here, it is readily apparent that the pilasters don’t line up very well from one level to the next. Fortunately. the balcony rails help to soothe the visual dissonance. The Four Seasons figures are also giving me a big assist, here, in obscuring these alignment problems.

Comme-ci, comme-ca. It is all still a vast upgrade over the stock kit.

...Olivier Gatine on his magnificent La Belle:...
is it hand made carving or machine carving?
if it is the first, than Yes! fantastic carving skills this man has !!!
but if it is machine carving ... there is nothing to be proud of ,in sence of hand made but only demostrate someone talant in digital sphears and how someone is familiar with cnc machine :)))
but your hand made plastic carving , yes...it is much,much higer demonstration of your
level of handmade skill! that what I like very much and want to see in ship models... but from other side, it could sounds funny regarding plastic model kit... :)))

The yellow is so fragile, and it already needs re-touching. I will wait for that, though, until after the installation. As I have throughout the model, I use the darker gold Citadel Armor as a base coat, and then I highlight with the bright gold. It creates a nice, if subtle sense of depth:

D6D9C535-016C-4D10-B930-E31FEDCD4189.jpeg
641ABC84-3FF6-442A-929A-A688DE4F6D8F.jpeg
39DD6469-9C04-4DF9-9B72-A58638B8C828.jpeg
FA51290A-F2B7-4D45-9AF3-AAB68B039AA2.jpeg

Next, I’ll do all the gilt work for the starboard side. I’m also ready to begin making the third tier of stern lights.

Thank you for stopping by. More to follow..

I was 'worried' when I saw the earlier edition but now that the washes have been added I see how this will fit in perfectly with the tone on the balance of the ship. It was nice to see the progression here. In my hands I found that the magic really only happens at the end - and you have demonstrated that perfectly. Thanks for sharing. A master at his craft...

Back