Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal 1:78 (with hopefully many added details)

Sort of back-to back postings. This is a fix that was so needed. All deck gratings were so out of scale. grrr...So replaced them.

Thanks to the so kind member that suggested that I fix this lol...that would be Nigel (NMBROOK) :)

View attachment 324279View attachment 324280View attachment 324281View attachment 324282

May leave this one as is - still thinking

View attachment 324283

After spending north of $60 USD back and forth with Cornwall in the UK - had to settle for slight size variations. yikes.

I wanted to have them all of the size that is superimposed below (1.5)mm - but after several attempts to get the same 1.5 mm size gratings that would fit the existing openings from different vendors - turns out that 1.5mm from Amati and Caldercraft are actually not both the same 1.5mm that one would expect. had to give up, redundant orders and just settle for these 1mm bits that would cut to proper size for these four gratings. Oh well!!

View attachment 324284View attachment 324286

Nonetheless certainly an improvement - Nigel thanks for your advice lol

View attachment 324287
Good morning John. Those times when guys like Nigel give us more work the outcome is always significant. Cheers Grant

Looks great John,I am very wary of being critical over others work but we have known each other quite a while and I know you would have taken my critique with the intention of which it was meant ;) Advising someone how to do something is a lot easier than saying they have done something that I view as incorrect and improvements can be made.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Jim: thanks your kind comments are always appreciated

Grant: Yes, good point lol

Nigel: Yes we do indeed go back quite a few moons - You were also so very helpful when I was struggling with
bits of that infamous Corel Vasa back in the days

Sorry for instigating all that rework John:( However that has made sooooooooooooo much differenceThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup I have to add those castings look really crisp:cool: You can see why this used to be THE kit modellers aspired to back when it came out.

Kind Regards

Nigel

NIgel,

Thanks SO much for your thoughts and responce to this current bit of work. AND I need to, again, thank you for your always super helpful
and constructive suggestions -- Yes I'm very satisfied with the "upgrade". Your work is, of course, at a level I can only dream of reaching lol...

Sincerely,

Richie: Yikes - sorry that you're "thinking of that" - I think that some of us probably do a some tearing down and "fixing" away from view, and then post completed bits that look much better than what was first assembled. That said thanks so much for your compliment well received indeed.
Grant:Okay thanks as well for your continued interest in this log - your work BTW is really excellent!!

Here are the other grids that I "for the third time" replaced - now all are "just right" -- onto finishing the stern - though I'm tempted to start work on guns and carriages - just a change for some needed positive energy.

OH - and Nigel YES to your point the vintage Sergal SotS bronze fittings are so superior to what is offered in their current product. Had Sergal done the other very good improvements to the current kit AND kept the 650+ solid bronze bits - it would indeed still be an awesome kit !!
Note - I have incorporated some Amati metal bits that are still available for purchase as as a complete set.

Regards,

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpegIMG_6334 copy.jpeg5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I have wanted to build this kit for a longtime; I will “attempt” to super detail this project beyond the “out of the box” kit – as excellent as it is. I have the McKay book (filled with excellent line drawings and images; it will be an excellent guide, along with stunning museum examples; One of which was built by Ed Marple, and is on permanent display at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum, Oxnard CA.

I recently acquired a 1980s “new in box” Sergal kit. That specific vintage product was of interest to me because the 650+ included decorative bits were all cast in solid bronze (that number includes cannons). The current kit is supplied with 650+ white metal/bronze bits that have been electroplated, and apparently, from what I’ve been told, result in loss of casting details?? (TBD) – though many other advantages are certainly in the current kit’s box as well, and not part of the 1980s box contents.

Given that this ship’s beauty, for-all-intent-and-purposes, is because of its 600+ ornamentations I got intrigued with the idea of solid bronze castings; luckily found a vintage kit.

That said, instructions were really non-existent, included lumber still looked very good, other included kit’s amenities were, well from three decades ago. Bronze sculptures were, for me, the prize….as well as the 1:1 plan sheets, and the included many solid wood fittings (nice).

The vintage kit I received did not have a single super tiny missing bronze ornament – all were mixed up in fifteen or so zip lock baggies – took hours to go through them all –haha.

Moving forward two weeks – a large heavy UPS box arrived at my door hmm? – Turns out that I was gifted, for Father’s Day, with the current Sergal #787. So best of both kits will be blended into this single project. My family did not know that I had already purchased the much earlier discontinued edition.

I will balance this log with some, occasional, comparisons between the old and new kit – No criticisms of either just comparisons. That said, this log will focus on the build as it goes forward. I am lucky to have the best of both available.

So first log entry with some notes. – l will also keep the writing to a minimum going forward. Thanks for looking in, and if you are interested - welcome to the shipyard.

Regards,

View attachment 183323View attachment 183324View attachment 183325View attachment 183326View attachment 183327View attachment 183328View attachment 183329View attachment 183330View attachment 183331View attachment 183332View attachment 183333View attachment 183334View attachment 183335View attachment 183336
Hallo @oldflyer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi Mates.
Wow - thanks so much for your kind "Name Day" wishes lol - Had a great one - lots of fun as well.

SotS - on hold for a while - heading away for a long overdue travel vacation (been just about 3 years - given planet's lockdown and all).
Will post images of my visit to the Lisbon Maritime Museum, along with very few more of this place on the list - (Lagos) Algarve south of Lisbon.
Admiral"s choice for most of our time in Portugal. Our son and his partner will also meet us in Lagos - sweet.......

praia-da-batata.jpegb91c3722-92d0-4f4e-93de-00d83c6c1fc4.jpegportugal_grotte_catedral.jpeg55C87E56D7.jpeg

Hi John, I am catching up here. The revised grating looks fantastic, happy belated birthday, and looks like you and your family are in for a wonderful vacation.

Back