Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal 1:78 (with hopefully many added details)

Bryian,

Indeed this ship was - as you know - called the Golden Devil to its enemies. Thanks for your kind words - You work is exceptional indeed.

Hi Mates,
So here are images of my errors - I'm very "angry" about this - given that this build on and off - is pushing three years this coming Father's Day.
It was intended to be the best work that I am capable of.
As I added notes to each of these images I also borrowed the Admiral's Sea Salt and tossed a bit onto my shoulder wound with each image. :mad:;).

PS: Yes I know about the round or square tuck stern debate - round is very most likely how she was built..

1.jpg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5 copy.jpeg6.jpeg6b.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpg

Hi Mates,
So here are images of my errors - I'm very "angry" about this - given that this build on and off - is pushing three years this coming Father's Day.
As I added notes to each of these images I also borrowed the Admiral's Sea Salt and tossed a bit onto my shoulder wound with each image. :mad:;).

PS: Yes I know about the round or square tuck stern debate - round is very most likely how she was built..

View attachment 361095View attachment 361096View attachment 361097View attachment 361098View attachment 361099View attachment 361103View attachment 361104View attachment 361105View attachment 361106
wonderful work, it going to be beautiful model , well done my friend :)

Old flier I think your model is beautiful. Builders always find things that aren't right but to the average eye I see no mistakes what so ever. The fact that this ,in your words, isn't "my crowning achievement" only means that you will want to tackle a new ship when you finish this one. I hope I'll be around to see you create another masterpiece then too. Norgale.

Hi Mates,

Thank you for showing the problems. I see now where the difficulties lies at the stern. For a non SotS builder hard to see. However, your model is still stunning and I know you will find a good solution. Otherwise, perhaps someone on this forum can help?

Peter

Does anybody know why they put all this extra decoration on these ships? Were the decorations made of metal like the kits or carved wood with gilding on it? Seems to me all the foofoo would make the ship a lot heavier and harder to navigate.
I do. This ship was a lot more than a warship, it was a symbol of dominance to all nations of the sovereignty of the English monarch over all others who float a navy. This was the KING'S SHIP, and hence, it was a national symbol, so huge amounts of money were poured into the wooden carvings which were gilt (covered in gold leaf OR painted in gold... gilt meant either back then). The carvings DID add a lot of weight, but for a national symbol, one of a kind, that was part of the plan, and it was also the chief reason why the maritime aristocrats wanted the ship cancelled. It actually sailed failry well considering its weight, but of course it was relatively slow. But, it had a maximum of 102 bronze guns, the heaviest armed ship of its day. No ship dared let it get too close to them! But the King thought it was a great idea to built it, and since the Pett family had such influence with the King, it was built anyway. After the rebuild of 1658-1660, many of the carvings were removed, and also much of the upper structures were lightened, and the interior gun deck heights adjusted to make it more seaworthy. Later on, some of the carvings were reinstalled... remember: NATIONAL SYMBOL. Other nations also built what I call a heavily decorated "royal man-of-war". French: La Couronne 72 guns. Sweden: Wasa 64 guns. Europeans LOVE their pageantry.

After redesign, the ship was considered much better at sailing, even though by then the vessel was badly obsolete compared to other large ships in the British Navy. Still, the Sovereign had an exceptionally long life...59 years, until it sat for the final years at anchor, with money meant for it's upkeep stolen by corrupt persons in charge, and after lack of maintenance had taken its toll, it is rumored some feckless watchman allowed a candle to spill over one January night in 1696, burning the ship to the waterline... a total loss. La Couronne only lasted about 8 years. Wasa, less than 21 minutes. Cautious:rolleyes:

Take a look at the carvings of the Wasa. They were made the same way. Gilt wood, in that case, painted.

Last edited:
Hi Mates,

View attachment 361095View attachment 361096View attachment 361097View attachment 361098View attachment 361099View attachment 361103View attachment 361104View attachment 361105View attachment 361106
If this were my model, oldflyer, I'd invest the time and money to buy some more basswood for new structure, and hardwood for planking, gut the bottom of the stern, and rebuild it, then graft in new planks, chiseling out carefully chosen hull planks to install new ones such that the end seams are staggered, effectively hiding the rebuild. Huge setback, I know. You saw what I did to the stern on my Sovereign build. Your rebuild will be similar. For devoted modelers, THIS is where the rubber meets the road, my friend! It's up to you if you want to put in the effort. It's really gonna suck, but the experience you gain will make you fearless at scratch building.

Before all this, you'll need a base that can support your model securely and safely upside down to make work easier, if you don't have one already.

First step: You have to plan how much your are going to remove or cover over. You know where the cutouts will end at the top of the lower stern, but the problem is how to add structure to change the angle of the lower area of the stern transom to create this curve:
1678089291844.png

This means extending the lower hull aft, and that will mean re-planking the stern by prying out plank and replacing them. You'll need wood of similar color and stagger the plank end seams as stated before. I assume you will want to keep the square tuck as a feature to keep the alteration from getting too complex.

Much of the stern extension could be structured over instead of cut out. That can be done by three methods; 1) filling the gap with solid basswood or balsa blocks sanded to shape and planking them over, or 2) making a hollow framework in basswood and planking it over, or 3) a combination of both, in order to the shape where you want it. No matter what, lots of the final planking on the transom and certainly the hull planks and wales that terminate at the stern will have to be remade. It's really a lot of work to alter the shape of the hull once final planking it on the model. Keep an eye on the sternpost. That may need to be altered by changing its angle and/or extending it rearward, with subsequent hull planking afterward, to get the stern shape you want.

Hi Mates,

Good morning John. Oh boy...! If you did not point out these errors I certainly would not have noticed. You have produced a beautifully crafted model. It is decision time.....Everything you pointed out can be remodeled but it will mean a lot of restructuring IMHO. Hey you are 3 years in what's another 3. ;) . Cheers Grant

I do. This ship was a lot more than a warship, it was a symbol of dominance to all nations of the sovereignty of the English monarch over all others who float a navy. This was the KING'S SHIP, and hence, it was a national symbol, so huge amounts of money were poured into the wooden carvings which were gilt (covered in gold leaf OR painted in gold... gilt meant either back then). The carvings DID add a lot of weight, but for a national symbol, one of a kind, that was part of the plan, and it was also the chief reason why the maritime aristocrats wanted the ship cancelled. It actually sailed failry well considering its weight, but of course it was relatively slow. But, it had a maximum of 102 bronze guns, the heaviest armed ship of its day. No ship dared let it get too close to them! But the King thought it was a great idea to built it, and since the Pett family had such influence with the King, it was built anyway. After the rebuild of 1658-1660, many of the carvings were removed, and also much of the upper structures were lightened, and the interior gun deck heights adjusted to make it more seaworthy. Later on, some of the carvings were reinstalled... remember: NATIONAL SYMBOL. Other nations also built what I call a heavily decorated "royal man-of-war". French: La Couronne 72 guns. Sweden: Wasa 64 guns. Europeans LOVE their pageantry.

After redesign, the ship was considered much better at sailing, even though by then the vessel was badly obsolete compared to other large ships in the British Navy. Still, the Sovereign had an exceptionally long life...59 years, until it sat for the final years at anchor, with money meant for it's upkeep stolen by corrupt persons in charge, and after lack of maintenance had taken its toll, it is rumored some feckless watchman allowed a candle to spill over one January night in 1696, burning the ship to the waterline... a total loss. La Couronne only lasted about 8 years. Wasa, less than 21 minutes. Cautious:rolleyes:

Take a look at the carvings of the Wasa. They were made the same way. Gilt wood, in that case, painted.
Very well said Kurt, it explains a lot.

Shota70, Thanks for your very appreciated post

Norgale, Kurt fabulously filled in all of those “blanks” AND a big thanks for your comments – very kind of you. TBD, if I can develop renewed mental energy to attempt another “crowning achievement” effort.

That said, my next build has already been locked in. I will go back to approx. 1000AD to build a Viking ship. I intend on leaving many deck planks “open” so as to offer details on the internal framings. Almost all of this project will be scratch built from solid woods – no plywood - Have a folder with many images already stored.

Will try to emulate something like the images below, including all needed proper looking (non-round) nails both outside and inside the hull. Also intend to add all oars as well as hand making the needed shields, and a proper looking sail along with properly scaled ropes from that era..

Gokstad copy.jpgDrakar MuseumDSC00713 copy.JPG

Kurt,
thanks for filling in the dots with your always very detailed synopsis. The SotS was the first ship where the king also demanded actual gold leafing – NO gold paint was allowed to be used.

After reading your excellent “how to” solutions for my large error, I called my Dr. requesting a prescription for Xanax! o_O:p – I will initially send a communication to Mantua in Italy requesting the two kit’s upper gun deck templates (they run the entire length of the hull) in order to perfectly match what’s been installed, then adding the short cut-off bits, along with all other needed fixes. I am, however, not willing to go to the lengths you rightfully suggest.

If Mantua can send me those two laser scored pieces - then I will proceed otherwise, no energy for that. Yes your SotS is absolutely brilliant work. Your devotion, knowledge, and attention to details are brilliant. Gongrats. to your efforts.

Ptèr, the probable solution is that I may just live with it if Mantua declines my request for those two parts that I am very willing to pay for.

Just ordered more LED’s – want to refocus with that – then attach the five lanterns (new LED’s have the “flickering” effect as well), and Ptèr your work is exceptional – you will certainly not make the mistakes that I have made with this project – so far that is – hahaha

Grant, Haha I wish that I had not pointed out the errors – The fix will be in Mantua’s CS courtesy – TBD….( I may also contact Cornwall the vendor who supplied this kit). Hmm?

Daniel, thanks for dropping by – I need to locate your new log – have not found it yet?

Thanks to all for your very kind, supportive, and helpful comments.

Last edited:

I knew Kurt would know and answer to this post! He is the Man, of course. Glad you feel better Kurt!

Dale
1) Glad as well that Kurt if feeling much better
2) He is indeed "the man" so knowledgeable, helpful, super positive with postings, and a superb builder as well.

Hi,

Wanted to share a super useful tool that has been a "life saver" working with brass and bronze.
Currently working on shaping the rudder hinges - These parallel closing pliers have been so helpful. They allow
for perfectly straight folds working with brass etc.

Cheers,

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg

Mazbot Cushion Comfort Brass Jaw Flat Nose Parallel Pliers got them at Amazon.​

Last edited:
Hi mates,

Ok - time to start working with Even Designs LED's (big PS: awesome products from them!!!.) I sent a second order for 10 flickering. Hmm super perfect.
may blend earlier order solid lights as well.
All five lanterns will be flickering. Here are a couple of 6 second videos. Don't know if they will load here - first try with .MOV. well they won't (or I don't know the protocol) - instead here are a couple of .jpg s

IMG_8559.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg

Hi mates,

Ok - time to start working with Even Designs LED's (big PS: awesome products from them!!!.) I sent a second order for 10 flickering. Hmm super perfect.
may blend earlier order solid lights as well.
All five lanterns will be flickering. Here are a couple of 6 second videos. Don't know if they will load here - first try with .MOV. well they won't (or I don't know the protocol) - instead here are a couple of .jpg s

View attachment 361879

View attachment 361881
Good morning John. Super effective. Pity the videos didn’t load- would have been cool to see. Cheers Grant

Back