Spanish Galleon 1607 , LEE(IMAI) 1:100 May 2021 [COMPLETED BUILD]

..continuation with rigging mizzen and bonaventure mast ...
sails fastened to the yards ...
and here one more time I had rearranged rigging of main mast topgallant tie halyards, my version,how to lead them - two additional lead blocks were seized to the mizzen stay ,one just next to the stay loop and another one on lower part of the stay , and running end was fastened to the half deck railings ...
this is just my suggestion ,I don't know how it must be done to be historic accurate:confused:

to continue rigging mizzen I had to prepare set of all ness-ry blocks and other gears which will be need for mizzen sail rigging.. some of the blocks,2.5 mm marked "red" on the picture - wooden , others - self-made from wasted piece of plastic or epoxy stuff
there is big difference between unprocessed wooden and painted plastic blocks in their appearance
wooden blocks need to be painted to eliminate this difference
when they are painted ,origin of material became not very noticeable ... and just on the macro foto, you could see the structure of the wood ...
in this respect, plastic / epoxylin blocks, which I made before, have more" scale look" in their appearance ...

Last edited:
fitted mizzen parral gear ...

finished fastening running rigging of mizzen sail - sheet, in the form of whip (Anderson p.238, pic.318) mizzen bowlines , here I tried to imitate making rope coil in "new" form and mizzen tack - a simple cable \ added guide block ... this rigging, how exactly to reproduce it, I don't know -so,
on the pictures you will see purely my fantasy, I don’t know how it should be on the galleon ... I did it by "motives" and how far I understood what RC Anderson (and Hockel as well) said regarding this matters... :)

:eek:MIZZEN LIFTS:eek:

here is too much uncertain for me , how strange it all turns out ...
on the old pictures with galleons, and as Anderson and his comrades wrote about it (Anderson ,from p. 234 and on ...)
it could be often seen that the mizzen lifts went to the main top mast head , and everything seems to be fine passes ... well, in general of course :) ...
but in fact, on the model, this can be managed only if I move the mizzen yard maximum to the port or starbord ...
in such case, lifts don't "break" mizzen top mast shrouds ... in all other cases. ..it simply doesn't work fine and smooth...
or as Anderson mentioned, as soon as mizzen sail is settled, in analogy with lug-sail, then there is no need for mizzen lifts to be tight, since the necessary inclination of the mizzen yard is provided by the tension of the mizzen sail tack ...

All in all I actually depicted mizzen lifts as a kind of “generalized-simplified” version, based on what I could understood from the contemporaneous “pictures” and from the reconstruction of the rigging of the 1610 galleon made by Peter Kirsch ...

Most complicated part in this mizzen rigging stage for me ,it was to arrange evenly distributed load of each bridle/or "legs" in lifts crowfoot. In this case I used ordinary sewing thread, not painted...and small weights suspended to each line...

As soon as I reached desired effect with tension, not perfect, but at least they became more or less looks equal straight , than I fix each crowfeet line with liquid CA - CA was applied all along each line( in purpose to make them hard), and next day ,when CA became" good "dried ... I made imitation of knots and secure each line with imitation of seizing, and only after this stage, all lines were painted and stained...

will continue ...

This is fascinating, so much detail, really impressed by the amount of work gone into this build. Really good work

Dear Spars, myavid76, Simebru635,tommyg
Thanks for your attention and positive comments :), I'm glad if you found this my reports interesting and some my findings which I learnt during assembling this model \ or "knowhow", how to say :))) useful for your own galleon modeling purposes:)... this was idea to post them here
As I mentioned , the whole project was completed in May of this 2021 year, so these , selected pictures which I m posting now , it is already "history" of previous years of this model assembling...
Wish you all the best!!!
Kirill

making crowsfeet \ bridles lines:
first they pass trough drilled holes in the yard,
than each line ,from both ends was loaded with small weight of pin/or clamp,
and desired lengths of crowsfeets bridles were adjusted ,
and the other end alternatively loaded ,these stages performed more or less simultaneously...
and finally , all crowsfeet lines need to be " plated " by liquid CA/not gel CA ...

after a while, when lines became dry, I wrapped the lines around the yard and made seizing imitation ...

I 've found that it was the easiest way for me ,how to give crowsfeet legs more realistic effect - with assistance of these drilled holes in the yard,pins as temporary weights and applied liquid CA on each line...

in reality - how rigging with such numerous crowsfeet was arranged remains enigma for me ! if we don't use separate plank with the holes, how it is shown on the model William Rex for exampleimg032.jpgimg063.jpg , that how to attach all those crowsfeet to the mizzen yard ?
If each couples of bridles ,when they passed trough corresponding holes in the euphroe block ,will be secured to the yard individually, than it could be almost impossible to maintain equal load distribution between them...
But in case of plank with the hole secured to the yard and crowsfeet formed from "endless" rope consistently passes trough holes in the plank and euphroe block, than evenly distribution of the load seems realistic!
But in practice , what we could see on contemporaneous drawings which depicts galleons of the end of16th beginning of 17th century, there is no such planks on the mizzen yards, and of cause nothing on the stays and shrouds where crowsfeet used to be secured!
Everywhere used individual attachments each pair of crowsfeet legs to the rigging or to the spars..
and it is Strange... look how stays attached to bowsprit ...or lifts to the mizzen

Attachments

• scan 140.jpg
    scan 140.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 11
  • scan 141.jpg
    scan 141.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 9
  • scan 142.jpg
    scan 142.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 10
  • scan 143.jpg
    scan 143.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 9
  • scan 000.jpg
    scan 000.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 9
  • William Rex. Model of a 17th-century warship - Ab Hoving COMMON VEW.JPG
    William Rex. Model of a 17th-century warship - Ab Hoving COMMON VEW.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Dear all,
Thanks for attention!
Here is next small portion of mizzen and bonaventure rigging ...
You could see my experiments with new stuff for me - potal'(artificial gold leaf) which I decided to use instead of gold paint!
What I could say... using "potal' it makes much more gilded/shining and metal effect than any other gold paint...
it is very easy in application as well ... .just only it need to be finished with glossy varnish at the end, to prevent changing colors due to oxidation on air...without finish coat of glossy varnish potal' could slightly changing color , became reddish as time passes(a few years... and as finish touch You could use thined solution of bitum lacquer ,it gives relief more expression...

Here You could see also that I decided to replace stern picture for relief with Holly Mother,as seems to me, HM in this appearance will be more interesting that previous colored print out ...

there are a few photo of Duyfken replica , to compare mizzen rigging arrangements with my model...
For me , there was/and maybe still here :) a question ,how to arrange mizzen "bowlines"?...
it is difficult to imagine , how they should work to control mizzem yard movement from side to side...? if rigg them too forward, like on this picture

but here you could see how the same gear rigged in a little bit different way, more workable fashion if I could say that

Now is GILDING Time ! (in use - artificial golden leaf)
WARNING!

In reality , for this stated period of the end of 16th -begining of 17th centuries , ... there shouldn't be used gilding ...at least not in such extent as I used on my model!!! Invincible_Armada.jpg
but I like gold shining very much! :p:p:p
and my mostly fantasy galleon,which need to be considered just as art object, obtained gilded decor by my will! :)))
but to be historic accurate , decor must be colored in natural and mostly, due to nature of paints pigments used in that time, pale colors , not such bright as modern paints used on many modern models which represents ancient sailing vessels.. There is interesting remarks regarding old fashion colors used for coloring ship's decor could be found in this book17th cntr colors.jpg
before there were numerous try to use different "gold" paints , but non of them gave me desired "museum" "metal-gold-shining effect", but only potal' did!

01.jpg.8a1624ebf6f5c76e9b131eabcd98c841.jpg.jpg02.jpg.6cfa0f0b5393d8a0bbec6dba477d113d.jpg.jpgDSCN6763.thumb.JPG.e55fad4a06531d12d71cee2bf3d9c1a6.JPG.jpgDSCN6766.JPG.540ab2beaad8ed0e7fe518888304a801.JPG.jpgDSCN6767.JPG.a33d25911471029152494673a05f2022.JPG.jpgDSCN6768.thumb.JPG.741a80175dc043db3465ee7076850bfa.JPG.jpgDSCN6783.JPG.a8fe1ebd7c926c97d3d514d17d1ea04c.JPG.jpgDSCN6787.thumb.JPG.f850cc19bee89ea951a6c56c68ea4fb9.JPG.jpgDSCN6789.JPG.7ade3e6a4f35ec5aa70ebccbd70c4e43.JPG.jpgDSCN6790.thumb.JPG.d2dc601586a3cfba1ee6fe52e8f52b06.JPG.jpgDSCN6792.JPG.9a03b3d6c37c666bb2135e314da8a2d4.JPG.jpgDSCN6797.thumb.JPG.4dc295e8baf018ea95851487c0d2d149.JPG.jpgDSCN6833.jpg.ee1b2f6ffb997c68268467ac48fa2384.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Наблюдаю за вашей постройкой, великолепная работа, коллега!! :)

Back