Spanish Galleon 1607 , LEE(IMAI) 1:100 May 2021 [COMPLETED BUILD]

cable from sewing thread

how to use athread strait from a spool, without making cable - in the photo there is a thread before and after "processing"
it turns out, of course, not what can be done with a cable making device, but differently better than it was on the spool, unprocessed ...

* cut off about a meter
* I clamp one end in a vise
* I pull it slightly, just so that it does not sag and holding the other end I begin to twist it in my hands along the lay ... I twist it as tightly as possible ... at least until the density of the strand looks like a normal rope
* then I pull it slowly/tightly until the "reserve" is selected, so to speak by lengthening ... it is felt, the thread first stretches and then begins to resist, and if you pull further, you can break it ...
* in this maximally elongated state, I hold it for several seconds and paint it right away continue keeping it tight- I stretch along a cloth moistened with paint
* I slowly release it and hang it up to dry ... as it dries, you can repeat the procedure again for fidelity ...
well, something like thisDSCN7211.JPG.jpg - the result is in the photo ...

Attached files

Last edited:
inished with the design of the aft gallery - added arcs, as in old paintings - there these elements are present with enviable constancy. I assumed that they were made of iron ... maybe this is a frame for an awning, if necessary, you can build it? but this is so, an assumption ... I have never come across options for their use ... if arcs are present in old paintings, then without any awnings, as a rule ... I don't know what else it could be? 06 gallery sbs 01.jpg02 gallery 001.jpg03 gallery ps 01.jpg04 gallery sbs 01.jpg01 gallery archs _fragment of The Battle of Cadiz Dutch and English Ships Attack the Spanish A...jpg

* completed the design of the gallery arches - added an imitation of the arches fasteners ... I don't know what this should show ... maybe the heads of the fastening bolts? ))
thought the arcs would look more interesting with these bolts?
* started making crosses on the tops of the masts - I saw them in some paintings where Spanish galleons are depicted
* imitation of sleeves of scuppers is made,
there are important notes on the arrangement of scuppers in my model - they are shown simply formally and technically completely incorrectly, because initially there were critical typing errors in the layout of the model body,
which made the correct positioning of the scuppers impossible ...
but I wanted to show such devices ... they just have to be there, and those that are the lowest, closer to the water's edge, still have to be equipped with scapperhosescuppers 07  Batavia.jpgscuppers 03.JPG.jpgcross 04.jpgscuppers 04.jpgcompleted arcs 02.JPG.jpgcompleted arcs 01.JPG.jpgscuppers 01.JPG.jpgcross 02.JPG.jpgscuppers 02.JPG.jpgscuppers 06 Prince William.jpgcross 01.JPG.jpgcross 03.jpgscuppers 02.jpgscuppers 01.jpgscuppers 03.jpgmodified 04.jpgmodified 03.jpg

FLAGS

I did it based on what is in the pictures of the old Dutch Artists ...
more or less I managed to get into the "theme" of flags on the foremast and main mast - comparing the images in the paintings and what I got ...
The stern flag is my pure fantasy, based on what should be on the original - see pictures in comparison ...
How did: - printed on thermal transfer paper - sold in all supermarkets selling electronics ... - from experience and full of bumps)) you need to print files saved in PNG format, then acceptable detail is preserved, and you can draw the pictures yourself in the standard Windows @paint @ program by choosing the necessary options ... (save as PNG) this is, of course, only for dummies like me ... I had a problem how to print a tiny picture with good detail ... but now it seems clear what to do - you draw or use the found files, and then save it in PNG format, in order to print it to have good detailing of the picture ...
after printing, I painted on some fragments with "gold" paint and enhanced the detail with the help of Kuzbass varnish ... I applied gold paint in a somewhat dried out, let's say form, thus some 3 D effect appeared, and then I walked along the contour diluted Kuzbass \ or bitumen varnish ...

first , there is some historic background in pictures , how they looks like,

where were positioned, colors , etc.original flags 001.jpgbattle of cadiz 1596.jpgDutch_and_English_Warships_in_Battle against Portugues-Spanish_-_Aart_van_Antum.jpgSpanish Armada.jpgиспанские флаги 1588.jpgseabattl.jpgbraun_hogenberg_I_1_1_b.jpg017.jpg010.jpgClipboard01.jpgLisbon_in_1598.jpgClipboard02.jpgoriginal Spanish Flag large 2.jpgoriginal Spanish Flag large.jpgSpanish Philippe II coat of arms.JPGSpanish Royal Coat of Arms Clipboard.jpgfor print 01.pngfor print 02.pngoriginal flags 008.jpg

posted above pictures of flags, used as a guide for the location of flags on the model ... here I was interested in the moment - the location of the stern flag, which seems was moved aside from center line and views of "deck" flags ...
well, impressed not weak "sizes" of pennants of course !!! :)
making stern flagWilliam Bourne (c. 1535–1582) A regiment for the sea. Source Created or Published 1592.jpg stern flag 07.JPGstern flag 06.JPGstern flag 02.JPGstern flag 04.JPGstern flag 01.JPGstern flag 03.JPG04 DSCN7371.JPG

Last edited:
FLAGS

I did it based on what is in the pictures of the old Dutch Artists ...
more or less I managed to get into the "theme" of flags on the foremast and main mast - comparing the images in the paintings and what I got ...
The stern flag is my pure fantasy, based on what should be on the original - see pictures in comparison ...
How did: - printed on thermal transfer paper - sold in all supermarkets selling electronics ... - from experience and full of bumps)) you need to print files saved in PNG format, then acceptable detail is preserved, and you can draw the pictures yourself in the standard Windows @paint @ program by choosing the necessary options ... (save as PNG) this is, of course, only for dummies like me ... I had a problem how to print a tiny picture with good detail ... but now it seems clear what to do - you draw or use the found files, and then save it in PNG format, in order to print it to have good detailing of the picture ...
after printing, I painted on some fragments with "gold" paint and enhanced the detail with the help of Kuzbass varnish ... I applied gold paint in a somewhat dried out, let's say form, thus some 3 D effect appeared, and then I walked along the contour diluted Kuzbass \ or bitumen varnish ...

first , there is some historic background in pictures , how they looks like,

where were positioned, colors , etc.View attachment 245254View attachment 245256View attachment 245257View attachment 245258View attachment 245259View attachment 245260View attachment 245262View attachment 245263View attachment 245264View attachment 245265View attachment 245266View attachment 245267View attachment 245268View attachment 245269View attachment 245270View attachment 245271View attachment 245272View attachment 245273View attachment 245274
It is wonderful how you have joined your historical research with your model bringing as much actuality to the present as you were able along with some personal creativity framed within those bounds. Well done!!! Rich (PT-2)

Good day Rich!
Thanks for attention and remarks! I 'm glad if You found it interesting ... some posted pictures difficult to find / they were shared by our colleagueы from other forums

Hello Dear Community!
returning to authentic pictures of galleons with flags on the deck ... they were used as inspiration for my model decoration...
deck flags - for the images on the flags, I used some parts of the royal coat of arms of Philip II, the fastening of the flags was shown very conditionally ..ps cmn vw DSCN7392.jpgsbs DSCN7396.JPGsbs cmn vw DSCN7392.jpgsbs DSCN7404.jpgps DSCN7395.jpgsbs DSCN7403.jpgSpanish Philippe II coat of arms.JPG

Last edited:
Hello dear community!
There are the finishing touches and on this with the model we can say - everything !!! :
* added a cranelines on the mast tops - try to make them кар2.jpg'Orsola-Partenza dei pellegrini.jpgD2rWP2vW0AANyw1.jpgfile-9.jpgPicsArt_11-04-10.38.14.jpgDP818245.jpgcranelines стр068.jpgClipboard01.jpggadds _ javelins 01 DSCN7484.JPG.jpghoisting gear main 01 DSCN7507.JPG.jpghoisting gear  fore 01 DSCN7504.JPG.jpghoisting gear fore 02 DSCN7506.JPG.jpggadds _ javelins 01 DSCN7484.JPG-1.jpggadds_javelins 02 DSCN7496.JPG.jpggadds _ javelins fore top  DSCN7484.JPG.jpggadds main top 01.jpg02 DSCN7546.JPG.jpg01 DSCN7542.JPG.jpgsimilar to the one depicted on the famous engraving of the karakka
* added darts/ or javelins - here, in their appearance, my pure fantasy ... in fact, judging by the engravings, they were in great demand on galleons of the 16th century, and since I have a certain collective image of a galleon on the border of the 16-17th centuries, I decided add those to myself too ...
I also used the book "Sailing Ships of War" by Dr. F. Howard as a source of information
??? I will add hooks on the yards later on ... maybe ... the Spaniard, after all, were famous for the boarding tactics of fighting are meant in theory, these hooks, they should be presented... and on engravings they are shown everywhere as a rule ... well, but I'm not sure yet...to fitt them or notSesimbra.1602.jpg

and ... then it remains to think of something with a stand,
but this is next season, in the fall ... the vacation ended, I didn't have time to make the stand ...

Last edited:
Hello dear community!
There are the finishing touches and on this with the model we can say - everything !!! :
* added a cranelines on the mast tops - try to make them View attachment 246349View attachment 246350View attachment 246351View attachment 246352View attachment 246353View attachment 246354View attachment 246355View attachment 246356View attachment 246357View attachment 246358View attachment 246359View attachment 246360View attachment 246361View attachment 246362View attachment 246363View attachment 246364View attachment 246365View attachment 246366similar to the one depicted on the famous engraving of the karakka
* added darts/ or javelins - here, in their appearance, my pure fantasy ... in fact, judging by the engravings, they were in great demand on galleons of the 16th century, and since I have a certain collective image of a galleon on the border of the 16-17th centuries, I decided add those to myself too ...
I also used the book "Sailing Ships of War" by Dr. F. Howard as a source of information
??? I will add hooks on the yards later on ... maybe ... the Spaniard, after all, were famous for the boarding tactics of fighting are meant in theory, these hooks, they should be presented... and on engravings they are shown everywhere as a rule ... well, but I'm not sure yet...to fitt them or not

and ... then it remains to think of something with a stand,
but this is next season, in the fall ... the vacation ended, I didn't have time to make the stand ...
Dear kirill4
The unique work you have done for building this beautiful model, evokes a great appreciation for the beauty and accuracy you have reached on the basis of extensive historical research.
I learned a lot from your blog and especially what professionalism is, well done Thumbsup :) Thumbsup
I would love to continue to follow your work with great interest

Back