Stern Decorations - Hahn Drawings - Prototypes

i drew the back wall of the cabin

back wall1.JPG

line A is a cross section of the wall

back wall2.JPG

we talked about a door in the wall but i am going with what Harold drew. The next step i sent the CAD file to Mohamed he will do a 3D model of the wall and produce a STL file. That STL file will be sent to the Mike. Now at that point there should be 4 STL files 1 is the pillars 2 are the windows 3 is the wall panels and 4 is all the components together.

The wall can be machined or printed as one unit or separate parts.

Well, after realizing I was using artwork from the HMS Warrior instead of the HMS Alfred for the stern sides... I started over. This is VERY difficult work but I am learning fast. I might switch over to using my Wacom digital tablet to see if I can get a better result. Eventually, my goal is to get the scroll tracings cleaned up so that they can be either laser cut or CNC carved in 3D....... need more practice...

Alfred Side Art.jpg

is there a problem in this area?
Subjective question Dave... Depends on what we define as a problem... ;) It appears Harold Hahn is just like all the rest of us and not perfect with his model assembly. In my personal opinion, that is NOT a problem. I build my models so they look good to "me". I hope others do as well. I try to make my drawings as precise as possible just like any blueprints or plans would be.... but translated to an actual model build is a different story.

Others may have a different opinion.

There were times back in my serious plastic model days when I would occassionally build a model for a "friend/client"... in those cases I would take extra care to make the model as perfect as my skills would allow. But even then, it was never perfect.

Curious what others think??

ok i was thinking long the lines of a drafting problem.
well if you want to really get picky look at the bottom of the scroll in the second picture, it overlaps the gun port so how would you close the port lid?

but then again this model is 1/8 scale and that detail would never be seen unless you blew up the image like i did.

here's the thing we are working on what i would call a "reproduction" of a Hahn model so it is in the best interest to stick as close as possible to Harold Hahns original work.

ok i was thinking long the lines of a drafting problem.
Ahhhhh, ok I see what you mean Dave. I misunderstood your question. I did not notice the scroll as I was more focused on his skewed window frames in the upper picture....

So with decorations... we will reproduce them as close to exactly like Hahn as possible. But they will all be separate parts. So it is up to the modeler as to where they actually get positioned on the model.. if that makes sense.... ????

JUST A QUESTIONS GUYS ARE WE LOOKING AT MAYBE A STERN X SECTION KIT OR EVEN SCRATCH BUILD IF YOU CAN DO THE PLANS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON
Hi Don. Right now what we are talking about is the topic of this thread. Recreating stern decorations for models based on Hahn designs.... no actual kits or models per se.... at least not on this topic thread

as Mike said this is more along the lines of "seeing if it can be done" a test experiment. maybe sometime down the line a stern section model might happen but for now we are just in the R&D stages.

Well, we know it can be done but is it practical and can it be done for a reasonable cost. Sure anyone can say it can be done for $5,000.00 but that is not reasonable.
it is a balance between high tech and low production costs.

maybe looking at it as boys playing around with expensive toys

Back