Stern Decorations - Hahn Drawings - Prototypes

I don't know you guys.... I was reading another thread when @Maarten started talking about his new bandsaw.... I went off on a tangent, @NMBROOK corrected my course ... and I finally ended up somehow with a 1/2" by 1/32" boxwood plank...

If you care to follow my disjointed journey, pick up here.... but make sure you come back to this thread later... LOL..

That reminds me of a story Clair.....but...oh well why not. I was interviewing an artist who had applied to my shop and she related that at a previous shop she had worked at they had this cute little blond receptionist. One evening she went out to go home and came back in a few minutes later saying her car wouldn't start. One of the guys in the shop went out to have a look at it and when he came back in her told her she had a dead battery. Her response was " you can't fool me, my car runs on gas."

1595339645197.png

i don't resaw that way but hey if it works for you fine go for it.

when i cut multiple sheets i set the fence at the thickness , that way each and every sheet is the same thickness.

the way you have it you have to move the fence with every cut.

you would think if the sheets vary in thickness when you run them through the sander they would all end up the same, but they don't thicker sheets are still a hair thicker.

Thanks Dave. I didn't end up doing it the way shown in the picture. I did it more the way you described. That is why I asked for help since it was my first time. Heck, I didn't even know the fence could be lowered to 2 different positions when I took that first picture.

You just have to be careful where you put your fingers.
HAHAHA.... Do not worry Jim. A lot of what I say is just in jest... for a chuckle.. I always practice safety and I definitely use "push sticks", even on small power tools. Back in my military days they used to call me "Sergeant Safety" because I taught motorcycle safety classes on the side. ;)

If you all recall earlier we had taken the Alfred CAD drawings and laser cut some stern window openings, window frames, and window columns. Although the laser etched/cut columns looked good they are square instead of round and have char on the edges. It would require a lot of manual hand shaping to get them to look more like Hahn originals. Today, I took those same columns and rendered them in 3D and matched them to fit the window openings. These columns are now able to be either CNC carved or sent to a 3D printer.

Here is a simulation rendering. In real life they will look much better:

Alfred Window Col 2.jpg

i got to get back to the drawings and add the ends of the drapes that go over the last window

i think that Harold thought why put that last window in and then cove half of it with a carving of drapes. But that is what the original shows so i think i will go back and add it

Back