Stern Decorations - Hahn Drawings - Prototypes

i do not think it would be a seahorse because that is something very few people would have seen back in 1780s and not a common subject to show up in carvings.
For the most part there were lions tigers and bears oh my! foliage and hunting, mythical figures and gods

or it might be a Hippocamp

Hippocamp.jpg

Roman_Baths,_Bath_-_Sea_Horse_Mosaic.jpg

on Bell island in the Detroit river there is a marble fountain. This structure is huge and consists of two levels

DSCN7544.JPG

DSCN7594.JPG

there are a lot of carvings all over the fountain and one of them is a loin type of hippocamp

DSCN7550.JPG

DSCN7563.JPG

i am thinking because this is a mythical animal it can be pretty much anything the artist wants it to be. In this case there is the head of a lion, front legs of a horse, wings of a bird and tail of ?

on Bell island in the Detroit river there is a marble fountain. This structure is huge and consists of two levels

View attachment 169481

View attachment 169482

there are a lot of carvings all over the fountain and one of them is a loin type of hippocamp

View attachment 169483

View attachment 169484

i am thinking because this is a mythical animal it can be pretty much anything the artist wants it to be. In this case there is the head of a lion, front legs of a horse, wings of a bird and tail of ?
wow, it's beautiful
A huge and beautiful statue, a site worth a visit when we return to normalcy after the corona.

Back