The Anatomy of the Bounty - AL-

Ok, now I have finally caught up with your latest/oldest??? project! ROTF It is great that you are copper plating the hull as that is yet another technique that you are using. I for one don't think I would have the aptitude or patience for that. Let's just say that I am very glad that Dutch ships were not copper plated.

Hi all

Here you can find some nice pictures of the CONSTITUTION copper plating process when it was restored in 2016.

I can see that my undesired wrinkles, when seeing at eye sight provides a similar visual effect as the Constitution plates. That effect at the Constitution, seen in the pictures, are due to hundreds of nails. Nevertheless I will try to improve that.

Cheers
Daniel

And the Video embedded in the Article. On how the copper plates were made.

May I ask a question to the experts !!!

On the previous pictures I assumed that on each mark of the plates were created because of a nail. But the video shows those marks were pre-made.

Was the aim to show/guide where a nail need to be added or..... for what ?

I referred to these marks

Screenshot_20211015-061456_Chrome.jpg

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited:
Hey Daniel,

I think the copper plating looks great! And I mean it looks great WITH the wrinkles. I have done some stained glass and there is a tool you can use to smooth the copper tape out - but it will leave it very shiny and smooth and shiny may not be the result you want. The texture looks very appropriate to my eye. Awesome job! Be sure to experiment with the matte varnish before you apply it to the ship...I'm not sure what it will do to your lovely patination.

Hey Daniel,

I think the copper plating looks great! And I mean it looks great WITH the wrinkles. I have done some stained glass and there is a tool you can use to smooth the copper tape out - but it will leave it very shiny and smooth and shiny may not be the result you want. The texture looks very appropriate to my eye. Awesome job! Be sure to experiment with the matte varnish before you apply it to the ship...I'm not sure what it will do to your lovely patination.

Thank you Paul for sharing your experience working with copper. Yes, you are correct, like I did for the patina, I will spare some copper tape pieces and experiment.

I am happy that you liked how it looks. Coming from a modeler that is extremely detailed oriented I take your comment as a big kudos and encourage me to continue !!!

Cheers
Daniel

And the Video embedded in the Article. On how the copper plates were made.

May I ask a question to the experts !!!

On the previous pictures I assumed that on each mark of the plates were created because of a nail. But the video shows those marks were pre-made.

Was the aim to show/guide where a nail need to be added or..... for what ?

I referred to these marks

View attachment 262640

Thanks
Daniel
I guess with these marks the correct and regular locations of the nails are defined
Defintely there were and are nails used
Unbenannt.JPG

There is also a text to be find with your video showing the perforation of the new plates:

Before copper sheets are installed on USS Constitution's lower hull, they have to be individually perforated so that the small copper nails can be driven through the copper sheet and into the white oak hull planking. In October 2016, ship restorers at Naval History & Heritage Command Detachment Boston use a hand-cranked machine patented in 1852 to punch 150 holes in each sheet.

Thank you UWEK !!!

I missed That text section. I haven't read all the Article. Shame on my side :-(

Nevertheless, your posting is good teaching for all.

Thank you again !!
Daniel

Last edited:
Finished the copper Sheathing and provided a patina.

Before the Patina
20211017_001506.jpg

After the Patina
20211017_140608.jpg

I took the hull outside for the pictures. Natural light showed better the Patina than my work shop lights.

More pictures

20211017_140613.jpg20211017_140618.jpg20211017_140622.jpg20211017_140702.jpg

Tomorrow the bellow product will be arriving

Screenshot_20211017-161117_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I will use it to seal the copper Patina, to reduce the brightness and to avoid a continued oxidation of the copper along the years. I also hope it will create a film that, in a certain way, will protect the very thin copper tape of breaking it so easy.

Cheers
Daniel

Honestly, not a big fan of ageing\weathering, but you made an excellent job. I think, if you, make patina on the copper plates to show age, you also need to weather the rest of the wood on the hull, IMHO.

Hi Jimsky, I thought about it. And I think I will follow that suggestion in general in the full ship.

The ship will not look brand new. I will try to add some patina here and there, but not real wheatering. The copper, as it was, brand new, was something that I didn't like at all.

Cheers
Daniel

I forgot to say that keel and ruder will be covered also with copper, but later. The copper tape is very thin and fragile. I expect I will brake it during my construction, on those sections.

Daniel

Hey Daniel
nice job so, far keep it up.
was thinking of putting a patina on my copper hull so now I can see the look will experiment a bit to see what comes about.
Also check the sails and rigging in the bounty book especially the standing rigging it is a little more than the AL version.
I will be making my own ropes for the version of the Bounty I am doing

Cheers
Robert

Hey Daniel
nice job so, far keep it up.
was thinking of putting a patina on my copper hull so now I can see the look will experiment a bit to see what comes about.
Also check the sails and rigging in the bounty book especially the standing rigging it is a little more than the AL version.
I will be making my own ropes for the version of the Bounty I am doing

Cheers
Robert

Thank you Rober !!!

I am finishing one section of the lower deck and will post. It will be done, probably, this weekend.

About rigging, it's been a long time I have decided that I do not like it at all. Unless it is a small ship/boat, like the Marmara I did last year, I found no pleasure on doing it.

If you are curious, here are the links to my last 3 compleated builts pictures.

Thread 'MARMARA trade boat 1:48' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/marmara-trade-boat-1-48.6103/

Thread 'Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/statenjacht-pegasus-circa-1700.8365/

Thread 'Geobukseon -- Turtle ship --' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/geobukseon-turtle-ship.8366/

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Daniel. I would have assumed that aging of copper should produce a "green effect". See what I mean here.

It is most interesting that your aging fluid produced a brown effect on the copper plating which goes great with the color of the wood! I am glad to see that you have returned to the Bounty!

Well you admitted to not having the planking done correctly, but I don't see any issues with it under the fine copper plating you did.

What is not seen is not a problem.

Exactly that !!! I love the wood look more than the copper. But after being around SOS for almost 2 years and learning I came to realize of my hull mistake. First I was decided to.... "who cares, it will stay as is". But after returning to the build and seeing the hull every day, I just couldn't stay with the "who cares" type of thought. Fortunately, this ship has the plating option. Problem solved.... I cover the defective planking :)

Cheers
Daniel

Back