The Anatomy of the Bounty - AL-

Daniel both you and @Robert B are to be commended on your builds of this model. This build would have driven me crazy - wondering if things are aligned, straight and level etc. I would have spent my days with measuring tape and levels in hand!

Sometimes it is fun to take the old designs and work them knowing better ways have been developed since a kit was first produced.

Like my battle station with instructions all done before modern glues and CA adhesives.

Hello Heinrich

Thanks for the compliments but we are doing 2 different versions of the same ship mine is open decks where Daniels is open hull
I believe Daniel has the more complex of the 2 and is doing a great job of it

Looking Good Daniel Going to be a nice ship when completed look forward to seeing the end product

Thank you Robert for stopping by and the nice comments !!!

Daniel both you and @Robert B are to be commended on your builds of this model. This build would have driven me crazy - wondering if things are aligned, straight and level etc. I would have spent my days with measuring tape and levels in hand!

You are correct. Knowing you me very well, this bounty will not be an example of accuracy or originally (historical) corrected. I always see my builts as a challenge to enjoy. If they end as the depicted model by the manufacturer, I am satisfied. If I find I can improve it, better !!!.

Bottom line, if I succeed the challenge of having these 2 decks at the (more or less) correct hight, visually centered and leveled, then the next 2 decks will be much easier. These two are the "basement or foundational " sections for the followings.

Cheers and thank you for the nice comments. Always welcome !! (And the bad ones too :) :) )

Daniel

Update

Middle deck not glued. Just to check all is fitting and distance from that deck to bottom of the keel and between decks is as the 1:1 plan drawing. So far so good. 9 cm and 3.5 cm respectively, as the plan drawing.

20211211_162846.jpg20211211_162902.jpg20211211_162949.jpg20211211_163225.jpg20211211_163411.jpg

20211211_164303.jpg

Now I need to built some doors .

Cheers
Daniel

This has got to be the strangest looking model I have ever seen. I cannot even imagine how difficult is must be to keep everything level / square / etc.

Well Well Well.... to say that everything is squared and leveled will be an extraordinary event :) :) . And one of the most important events on human history.

Let says that is all leveled and centered to the best I could. At least you don't see the deck with a 45° angle ..... HAHAHA.

You are correct, I have like a magnet for strange kits. At that time , like 30 years ago, this was the only model where you can see the interior. At least to my knowledge. I was fascinated with the Artesania Latina pictures. And I am still !!!! But men ..... this is really a pain .... in the neck.... HAHAHA

I am just using the wood and materials provided with the kit. I am building it as the AL pictures. Not trying to do better. Just as it was designed. Like the doors, they are very simple. And to tell you the true, I think it will go very well with the overall ship character. Let's see.

Doors of the bow lower deck done.

20211211_181753.jpg20211211_181859.jpg20211211_182008.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
HI Daniel. This picture is amazing to me:

20211211_163225.jpg
How you managed to such a level of squareness and accuracy, I do not know. Hats off to you!

And about the doors - you are spot on. They are perfectly in character with the rest of the ship - which again shows, simple can be just as effective and striking as ornate.

Hi Daniel this is a very interesting looking kit very well detailed but being so difficult I can see it's no longer in production.
When you started this log I had nearly finished my Black Pearl and was wondering what to do next. Your log inspired me to restart a build from nearly 30 years ago.

HI Daniel. This picture is amazing to me:

View attachment 275115
How you managed to such a level of squareness and accuracy, I do not know. Hats off to you!

And about the doors - you are spot on. They are perfectly in character with the rest of the ship - which again shows, simple can be just as effective and striking as ornate.

Thank you Heinrich.

I think that now the task will be easier because the Stern and bow lower decks will provide structure to the above 2 decks.......... I hope :)

Hi Daniel this is a very interesting looking kit very well detailed but being so difficult I can see it's no longer in production.
When you started this log I had nearly finished my Black Pearl and was wondering what to do next. Your log inspired me to restart a build from nearly 30 years ago.

Thank you Tony !!! Go for your vintage kit . May I ask what kit is it ?

Daniel

For those that haven't seen the Movie AVATAR ..... I am referring in my previous joke to this:

Cheers
Daniel

Back