The Black Pearl

720 Euro is still $800 ,look at the Trident Alert kit $350

Well... LOL... With the Hachette Black Pearl, you got more than just a model... you got 120 issues of a magazine that told many fantastic Jack Sparrow tales, you got all kinds of extra surprises like a pirate treasure map, some plastic gold coins... you even got a small puppet model of Jack Sparrow himself. To top it off - all this stuff was OFFICIAL Disney products. Well worth $800 to some people I guess.

Well... LOL... With the Hachette Black Pearl, you got more than just a model... you got 120 issues of a magazine that told many fantastic Jack Sparrow tales, you got all kinds of extra surprises like a pirate treasure map, some plastic gold coins... you even got a small puppet model of Jack Sparrow himself. To top it off - all this stuff was OFFICIAL Disney products. Well worth $800 to some people I guess.

oh well you should have said that in the first place. A puppet of Jack Sparrow just like a Beanie baby doll it will be worth a fortune some day, and being a Disney indorsed product what a collectors item.

there is some merit in a Disney licensed item that name does carry value for collectors.

I do not know how it all works exactly but a product licensed vs non licensed from Disney well ZHLs Black Pearl model kit will never be a Disney collectable but so what

Holy Smokes

saying bye bye to 3,000 views and going up and that is just a couple days.

we have not even started translating and posting other build logs

this is putting Ships of Scale smack dab center stage and the hottest Black Pearl blog to hit the web.

thank you all guest that sneek a peek

Ohh yeah,it is coming Lol

we as a society recognized something is very wrong and using social media as a platform to spread hate is coming to an end. It will bring down those pages and flag everyone involved.
This is why blogs such as this are so important they have been fact checked over and over and exposes lies and tall tales. When I all comes down it is blogs like this that will be used as a reference. You can see by the views it is not creeping up it is expanding at an explosive rate

it sucks you in and then boom! it stopped and you have this tingle and you want to say YES!

Hello folks - the story does not end here. Over the next week or so, we will compare timelines, examine design differences, look at build logs, and discuss the truth of Trademarks, Patents, Copyrights, Intellectual Property, Fair Use and all that other fun stuff as it applies to the Black Pearl. We will help you understand and answer questions such as:

- What is a Trademark, Patent, and Copyright as pertains to a scale model?
- Where did the original drawings for a scale model of the Black Pearl come from?
- What is the difference between a Disney licensed product and non-licensed product?
- What is the difference between a legal and non-legal product?
- Who decides if a scale model of the Black Pearl is legitimate?
- What does a "Free Trade" market mean?
- How can so many different companies both inside and outside the USA sell models of the Black Pearl without permission from Disney?
- What is the difference between the TRUTH and CONFIRMATION BIAS as related to the Black Pearl?

All of these questions will be answered. We already have researched the answers to all of these questions. If you would like us to research other questions you may have please PM me directly. I only ask that you keep your questions objective and related specifically to the Black Pearl.

Sail on!!

aside from the above we are working on the translation of Black Pearl blogs and build logs

plus a mystery of a Black Pearl kit that was said to have been stolen and copied exactly part for part.

With team members all over the world so far we have not located the original kit and have not found the exact copy of it part for part either. But we are looking into it.

Mulder said the truth is out there

I got a lead on the mystery kit and its part by part clone.

Seems it was a build group in Germany that decided to build the Hachette Black Pearl what they discovered right from the start it was poorly documented and did not match up with the movie or as a model ship kit. They then said "not surprisingly the build project was for a child" which a child would not be able to build.

I sat up late in the night translating and reading their blog as it turns out this was not the copied mystery kit. What the group did was bash the Hachette Black Pearl into totally something else. Yes parts were copied and redone, parts added and the entire build ended not as a clone of the original but a modified version.
any design or kit that was heavily bashed is not a copy let along a clone of the original. In the end it does not matter it is a moot point as it never resulted in a commercial kit.

their Black Pearl was bashed to the point of being an original kind of sort of based on the Hachette build. This was a private group of builders and nothing commercial ever came of it.

because the Hachette build is gone from the market it is quite worthless to include build logs and blogs concerning it.

so in the end this is not the Black Pearl that was said the kit and design was stolen and copied exactly part by part. The mystery continues

Last edited:
it has crossed my mind of a wild goose chase and there never was a Black Pearl "model ship kit" that was stolen and then cloned exactly part by part. This just might be a fake story made up for some reason or another. I would wonder, but why?

Before it is written off as a fake story I will wait for a timeline maybe that might be a clue and wait for more sources to check in.

hum now I wonder
there are "after market" drawings and parts for the Hachette build even cast cannons as the ones included in the build were way off,

blogs showing modifications etc.

so is this stepping over the copyright line of a product that does not exist, gone off the market?

not that I would every suggest doing that because the ZHL kit is some serious competition.

Well Dave, I have to correct you on one small item. If folks are looking to buy a wooden scale model kit of the Black Pearl today.... ZHL is not providing serious competition. They are the ONLY player on the free trade market. ZHL currently sells the ONLY scale wooden model kit of the Black Pearl today on the international market. In-fact, ZHL sells THREE (3) different versions giving consumers some options and choice.

I am happy to update this post if someone can show me otherwise. Where is ZHL's competition? If you are not willing to share publicly, feel free to provide me a link via PM and I will research and share without naming you.

As to the copyright question - a copyright is valid for a period of 25 years after the death of the copyright holder - if I am not mistaken. If a company held the copyright then it is 25 years after the demise of the company, I believe. Now that is for US copyright, and I'm not sure about international laws in that respect.

As to the copyright question - a copyright is valid for a period of 25 years after the death of the copyright holder - if I am not mistaken. If a company held the copyright then it is 25 years after the demise of the company, I believe. Now that is for US copyright, and I'm not sure about international laws in that respect.

lets let Mike do his research first and if there are any questions concerning the Black Pearl and copyrights I am sure he will add

are there any questions?

as for copyrights in general I went down that road and it is so complex and even more so on an international level we archived the topic and that is one of the reasons we stay clear of it. Way out of our league.

Back