The building of AMATI's HMS FLY [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Everybody,

I'm since +- 2 weeks member and in this context I would like to actively participate in the group.
Yesterday, I received the kit and the upgrade kit.

It is my intention to honestly write my experience and activities, and will post on a regular base photo's and comments.

I learned a lot from already existing blogs (zie NOMAD) and I will try to achieve the same level.

It is now my third ship:
- Artensia Latina Virginia (first small kit)
- I finished a month ago the Occre's Endeavour.
I consider this kit as a last big step in my learning process: after the FLY I will build a "big" one like The HMS DIANA or other.

So, I hope you enjoy my pictures.

Marc

The Package.jpg

Fly-parts.jpg

Today, I started the assembly of the Hull:
I carefully dry fitted the whole and was obliged to adjust the bulkheads 4 an d5
Then, I carefully sanded the rudder post and stern to half off his size
And, last but not least, I glued the whole together.

But: in order to assemble the 5 mm deck perfectly horizontal (this will help later because the bulkheads are even better in place), I nailed the deck in the middle, the stern and rear.... I drilled first the six wholes with a 0,5 mm drill because the wood is extremely strong!
I first tried to nail it directly: forget it!

Comments always welcome!

Cheers,

Marc

Hull assembly 1.jpg

Hull assembly 2.jpg

Hull deck.jpg

the Hull.jpg

Today, I started the assembly of the Hull:
I carefully dry fitted the whole and was obliged to adjust the bulkheads 4 an d5
Then, I carefully sanded the rudder post and stern to half off his size
And, last but not least, I glued the whole together.

But: in order to assemble the 5 mm deck perfectly horizontal (this will help later because the bulkheads are even better in place), I nailed the deck in the middle, the stern and rear.... I drilled first the six wholes with a 0,5 mm drill because the wood is extremely strong!
I first tried to nail it directly: forget it!

Comments always welcome!

Cheers,

Marc

View attachment 362168

View attachment 362169

View attachment 362170

View attachment 362171
Great start

Hello Jim,

Thx for moving the blog: but were can I find it (I know stupid question....). Or can I continue to post the pictures?
Sorry for not providing the redirect link, Here is the direct one

Hello Everybody,

I'm since +- 2 weeks member and in this context I would like to actively participate in the group.
Yesterday, I received the kit and the upgrade kit.

It is my intention to honestly write my experience and activities, and will post on a regular base photo's and comments.

I learned a lot from already existing blogs (zie NOMAD) and I will try to achieve the same level.

It is now my third ship:
- Artensia Latina Virginia (first small kit)
- I finished a month ago the Occre's Endeavour.
I consider this kit as a last big step in my learning process: after the FLY I will build a "big" one like The HMS DIANA or other.

So, I hope you enjoy my pictures.

Marc

View attachment 362166

View attachment 362167
Happy building and welcome to the ‘Fly’family

So I carefully glued the bulkheads together with the lower deck...
I also added some reinforcements in order the better install the main deck, eg gives better support for the main-deck.
Main deck is rather fragile (very thin ply woud) : thx to Mark "Nomad"...splendid idea...thinking out of the box.

Cheers,

Hull2.jpg

Hull3.jpg

So I carefully glued the bulkheads together with the lower deck...
I also added some reinforcements in order the better install the main deck, eg gives better support for the main-deck.
Main deck is rather fragile (very thin ply woud) : thx to Mark "Nomad"...splendid idea...thinking out of the box.

Cheers,

View attachment 362466

View attachment 362467
Good morning Marc. Welcome and enjoy your making of the HMS Fly. Cheers Grant

Hi Marc, I made your thread a watched one. I have the Fly too on the shelve. I saw your stand on the first pic, is it a purchased that fit the Fly ? Where did you bought it ?

Thanks

Michel

Hi Marc, I made your thread a watched one. I have the Fly too on the shelve. I saw your stand on the first pic, is it a purchased that fit the Fly ? Where did you bought it ?

Thanks

Michel
Hello Michel,

I purchased it by the company OCCRE: www.occre.com and go to store and tools.
They have a lot of fancy stuff: I purchased also the workshop cabinet and I must admit it helps a lot to maintain the "clean desk" ...

Marc
1678712290120.png

.... I must admit it helps a lot to maintain the "clean desk" ...
Who needs a clean desk ???
When you have a clean desk, you are only too lazy for searching....... and I am searching a lot for my small tools and parts
Sorry - just made a joke
I wish you a lot of fun with your HMS Fly - it is a good quality kit !!

Back