the Colonial Schooner Hannah in 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

hello friends
today I continued to work on the Cant frames of the Hannah. they are almost ready, they need little more polishing and sanding work .
later I will drill holes for wooden nails that connected the boards.20200923_005528.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!! Thumbs-Up Now...since I am assembling frames for my Alert kit, I know exactly how you feel building frames from scratch! ...and now I know what are the 'cant frames'... ;)
I have to admire and respect the care and attention this is shown with these frames as well as other build components by dedicated SoS crew/crafters. . . well beyond their apprentice and fellow craft status to master shipwrights. PT-2

Dear Shota

My apologies for my silence for a while but now I hopefully have a little more time. Your work looks excellent and show the dedication and commitment that a true craftsman requires. Well done! Okay

Jimsky, Heinrich & PT-2
Most thanks for the words of support and encouragement. I quantify trying to do my best and investing my heart in the process. :) :)
I understand that the products can be further improved and that is what I intend to do. This is the nature of the learning, development and advancement process in the field.
We will hear each other in my next updates and also in yours blogs,
which I follow with great interest.:cool:

Shota, I'm working on a mega cleanup at the moment, a lot of clutter and poor overview, but.
All parts of my rattlesnake are stored safely during this cleanup, thank you for your interest, best regards-

Dear @shota70 ....I am continuing to watch on the sidelines with great admiration for your skills and patience. I can't wait to see your efforts begin to take form. Keep up the excellent work.
Dear WarrLight
Thank you very much for the compliments, unfortunately I am lacking in a key resource - free time for construction. I will try to move forward and update.

Dear WarrLight
Thank you very much for the compliments, unfortunately I am lacking in a key resource - free time for construction. I will try to move forward and update.
The resource of time is irrecoverable and proceeds in only one direction as there is only the present and we can only assume another. What you put off today will only make you one day later in doing it assuming another day is ahed. Just a thought. PT-2

Hello dear friends
Today I moved forward to the next step of creating the holes for the wood nails.
I decided to do an experiment with a small number of frames.
I first created a pattern from plastic mold to mark the holes, then I penciled the dots into the holes.
I drilled holes for the toothpicks .
After the glue dried, I cut the toothpicks and sanded the surface of the frames. The truth is that the result is reasonable, and the pictures do not reflect well enough.
In addition, the wood color of the toothpick / bamboo is slightly assimilated into the color of the poplar wood ,from which the frames are made. This condition does not allow the toothpick / nail color to stand out.
I would love to hear your opinion.
I know the method of Creating toothpicks from trees such as pear, cherry and painting them in black.
I thought it was inappropriate and does not match reality / source.20200924_200959.jpg20200924_201012.jpg20200924_201509.jpg20200924_201520.jpg20200924_202805.jpg20200924_215154.jpg20200924_220336.jpg20200924_221206.jpg

@shota70 Dear Shota. Please have a look at @Maarten's superb build of the Royal Caroline right here on SOS. You will see that he uses beech wood toothpicks which give a much greater contrast.
One thing that I appreciate in SoS is the manner in which members offer help and suggestions which all of us can pick up. I wonder where beech wood toothpicks are to be found???? Excellent precision in your frame. PT-2

You can also moisten the toothpicks in black ink / stain overnight, then you get an imitation of bolts.
I have done this on my Blandford with good results, learned by the Doctor.
Just don't get those black treenail toothpicks mixed up with other decoratively colored ones for use after dining. . . particularly if requested by dinner guests!!! ;) PT-2

Hello my dear friends
In the last day I have been thinking about the subject of wood nails .
in the end of it, I decided to make cherry wood toothpicks. What bothered me was that the toothpicks were assimilated into the color of the Frames.
Since the keel will also be in the cherry wood, I thought the nails would blend gently into the frames, and create continuity and communication in shades.
Attaches the L side as an example of a result , that I liked more than the first one from yesterday.
I would love to hear your opinion of course friends too.
I Wishing us all a quiet and enjoyable weekend.20200925_222011.jpg20200925_222104.jpg20200925_221841.jpg20200925_221825.jpg20200925_152734.jpg

That looks good. What I have learnt from these macro close-ups is that one can never really tell the overall effect of how it looks in reality. If they blend in with the wood that is - in my opinion - just as good as having a sharp contrast. It's a question of taste and choice.

Hello dear friends
Today I found my path regarding the manufacture and installation of wood nails in Frames.
Following Heinrich's recommendation I went to @ Maarten's superb build of the Royal Caroline's blog right here on SOS. I see that he uses beech wood toothpicks which give a much greater contrast.
Indeed, I have found that it is a solution that strikes the right balance between the degree of investment in the cherry wood casemate manufacturing process and the visual result.
The cherry wood did not provide a smooth enough texture and I felt / saw tiny wood fibers.
I would love to hear from you what kind of wood can be made into smooth wood nails and with reasonable effort.
I think the result that came out, looks beautiful and close to the result that Maarten's presented on his blog.
I finished making / painting the wood nails , gluing them in Frames as well as chopping them and of course what was left was to sand the surface to which they were glued and make the final finishes for Frames.
I'm Attaching some pictures .
20200926_170158.jpg20200926_183847.jpg20200926_183915.jpg20200926_184013.jpg20200926_185115.jpg20200926_185134.jpg

Hello dear friends
Today I found my path regarding the manufacture and installation of wood nails in Frames.
Following Heinrich's recommendation I went to @ Maarten's superb build of the Royal Caroline's blog right here on SOS. I see that he uses beech wood toothpicks which give a much greater contrast.
Indeed, I have found that it is a solution that strikes the right balance between the degree of investment in the cherry wood casemate manufacturing process and the visual result.
The cherry wood did not provide a smooth enough texture and I felt / saw tiny wood fibers.
I would love to hear from you what kind of wood can be made into smooth wood nails and with reasonable effort.
I think the result that came out, looks beautiful and close to the result that Maarten's presented on his blog.
I finished making / painting the wood nails , gluing them in Frames as well as chopping them and of course what was left was to sand the surface to which they were glued and make the final finishes for Frames.
I'm Attaching some pictures .
View attachment 181493View attachment 181494View attachment 181495View attachment 181496View attachment 181497View attachment 181498
To my novice eyes your frames look very well done and the treenailing dedication carries that forward. PT-2

Back