The other Eric's HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1:48 - Scratch build

I've been using these micro drill bits (~0.7 mm) in a pin vice to drill bolt holes, but my giant manly hands and brute strength are constantly snapping of the bit while drilling. I would like to add bolts and trenails on the exterior, something like @Donnie did (but probably not done quite so well).
I'm curious what other folks are using for drilling these features. @DocBlake or @Mike41 or anyone else have any suggestions for more durable bits or is this just what happens at 0.7mm? Is there another technique to accomplish this without burning through these things so fast?

Hi Eric, if you have a Dremel tool with a flexible shaft you can use Proxxon drill bits, they come in various sizes with 3/32” shanks. Making holes for tree nails is fast and easy, by using a light touch you will not break one.

Hi Eric, if you have a Dremel tool with a flexible shaft you can use Proxxon drill bits, they come in various sizes with 3/32” shanks. Making holes for tree nails is fast and easy, by using a light touch you will not break one.
I have a cordless Dremel with a small chuck. Ill look for the Proxxon bits. THANKS!

Yesterday i picked up a chunk of ebony, and i couldnt be more pleased with the character of it for the wales....just a peek of what it will look like next to the yellowheart. The admiral said it looks like a bumblebee, but i love it!20200926_142523.jpg20200926_142531.jpg

I'm pretty nervous about messing up the step again, but I'm going to try to square out the mortise and cut it with the Dremel. Short of milling, is there another way to do this---other than "CAREFULLY"?

I have the dimensions of the mortise/tenon from Goodwin (Construction and Fitting of the English Man Of War 1650--1850), which match the plans well for 1/2" mast:
fore/aft: 1/2(mast diam) = 1/4"
athwart: 2/3(mast diam.) = 1/3" or ~3/8"
depth: 1/2(mast diam) = 1/4"

Back