The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

A small update here. I have the guides now in place on all the booms and gaffs and am considering construction of the 'jaws' that would go on the main and fore gaff.

IMG_2925.jpg

I tried using a wash for the first time on the bobstays steel bars and turnbuckles. This was a homemade wash consisting of very watered-down black paint, I wanted to take some of the shine off the steel bars and give them a more oxidized patina. Not sure if I succeeded though. I also tensioned the bottom a little more.

Before After
IMG_2919.jpgIMG_2926.jpg

Thanks for visiting.

A small update here. I have the guides now in place on all the booms and gaffs and am considering construction of the 'jaws' that would go on the main and fore gaff.

View attachment 392827

I tried using a wash for the first time on the bobstays steel bars and turnbuckles. This was a homemade wash consisting of very watered-down black paint, I wanted to take some of the shine off the steel bars and give them a more oxidized patina. Not sure if I succeeded though. I also tensioned the bottom a little more.

Before After
View attachment 392830View attachment 392831

Thanks for visiting.
Nice gaffs and boom with tiny brass nails, Daniel.
Regards, Peter

Good Saturday morning all, I've been working in so many directions with the mast, gaffs, and booms that a casual observer might conclude this person has an attention span disorder. First, I wanted to preassemble the cross trees so I made a jig that would hold the trees at about the right distance from the mast tops. When the time comes, I just slide them down to the correct position and glue in place. I also carved the top mast finials in place. Main and foremast just dry fit for now.

IMG_2929.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

Again, the sails on this schooner are weighing heavy on me so as proof of concept I ordered and placed some 1mm grommets into one of my old Vasa practice sails and with a little practice I think these will work. Then referring to one of Rich's @PT-2 excellent reference build log, I came up with a one-off way to attach my sails to the mast hoops. Rope color to be determined.

IMG_2932.jpgIMG_2930.jpgIMG_2931.jpg

No doubt I'm off on the scale, I hope the visual presented will more than compensate. I need to decide on sail cloth material and color, something in a white or off-white cotton fabric.

Till next time
Happy modeling!

While it's a very clean and tidy install, I think you're right with the off-scale remark. A 1mm represents in reality 72mm (close to 3") hole.
I'm afraid you'll have to try it on a complete sail install before you can be sure about this being the way to go.

I think you're right with the off-scale remark. A 1mm represents in reality 72mm (close to 3") hole.
Your observation is right on Johan. I think my only saving grace will be the grommets will not look out of place size wise to the mast hoop. Like you say I will have to be heavily invested in to see for sure. Thats ok though, I have the time for redo's.

This picture from Rich's @PT-2 build log reference.
Grommet and mast hoop size relationship.

View attachment 393561

My mast hoops being 1.5mm tall on average are way out of wack as well.
I just hope it all comes together looking presentable.
Yeah, I did my masthoops at around 1mm average and that was really pushing it.
The grommet looks, guesstimating, to be around 1", that's about 0,3mm at scale...

Well, there is only one way to know - try it out and if it does not work, reconsider. Those grommets do make for a very neat effect though.

Good Saturday morning all, I've been working in so many directions with the mast, gaffs, and booms that a casual observer might conclude this person has an attention span disorder. First, I wanted to preassemble the cross trees so I made a jig that would hold the trees at about the right distance from the mast tops. When the time comes, I just slide them down to the correct position and glue in place. I also carved the top mast finials in place. Main and foremast just dry fit for now.

View attachment 393523View attachment 393524

Again, the sails on this schooner are weighing heavy on me so as proof of concept I ordered and placed some 1mm grommets into one of my old Vasa practice sails and with a little practice I think these will work. Then referring to one of Rich's @PT-2 excellent reference build log, I came up with a one-off way to attach my sails to the mast hoops. Rope color to be determined.

View attachment 393525View attachment 393526View attachment 393527

No doubt I'm off on the scale, I hope the visual presented will more than compensate. I need to decide on sail cloth material and color, something in a white or off-white cotton fabric.

Till next time
Happy modeling!
Good evening Daniel. I am proud to hand over the title of Ricochet Rabbit to you….ROTF
DB953B1F-6DB7-445E-B581-E973292E07C3.jpeg
I think the grommets look stunning. Sometimes we can’t achieve the perfect scale on our ships and I agree with you- let’s see how the overall aesthetics look. Awesome progress BTW.
Cheers Grant

Back